Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Apple's "solution" ?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes , great idea!

51 52.58%
  • H3LL No! This isnt a solution, its just hiding behind covers !

19 19.59%
  • Its ok for now, But I feel tricked

12 12.37%
  • I was hoping for recall, but this will do for now

10 10.31%
  • No! I am returning my iPhone 4 !!

5 5.15%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Default Are you happy with Apple's Bumper solution!?

As title says,, Are you happy with the free bumper solution!?
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Not at all. Jobs spent too much time spinning and spreading FUD... and despite thinking the iPhone4 is a beautiful design, Jobs' solution is to cover up that beauty? Not really happy about the outcome of this presser.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Intermediate

eh... didn't really expect a recall. I don't really have a big problem with the outcome I get a free case
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Pro

This may be a good temporary solution in their eyes, BUT this will definately hurt their image and the consumer trust.
    Come next June/July , the 5th generation iPhone will suffer tremendously in pre-sales , due to the fact that people will wait for the "1st batch issues " to be addressed.
    Then again, we just saw how they addressed this major flaw , so who knows......
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Seeing as how I have not experienced any signal strength loss or proximity sensor issues, I love the fact I get a free case. Thank you all who cried, moaned, groaned, and complained. Besides, the case offers protection from damage to the "beautiful design."
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I can't vote since none of the options really state my opinion.

It's not a "solution" and saying that only .X% of customers called to complain about this the only data point they should look at when thinking about impact. Not everyone calls CS. Looking at dropped calls is only part of the "impact" since some people can't even make calls when the signal drops too far.

It's something to appease the masses, but IMO they need to do something to get Consumer Reports off their back and onto a recommended list, since that will impact their eval with the "Joe Blow"/non technical community.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iPhone Newbie

It is ugly
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    I can't vote since none of the options really state my opinion.

It's not a "solution" and saying that only .X% of customers called to complain about this the only data point they should look at when thinking about impact. Not everyone calls CS. Looking at dropped calls is only part of the "impact" since some people can't even make calls when the signal drops too far.

It's something to appease the masses, but IMO they need to do something to get Consumer Reports off their back and onto a recommended list, since that will impact their eval with the "Joe Blow"/non technical community.
    Totally agree with you on this. ^^^^^
    The calls have no reflections as to how many people actually have this problem, simply because most people who have the problem, didnt call apple, cause they knew it was a known issue, waiting for a SOLUTION!
    I can guarantee that if every single one of us would go to Apple/AT&T and ask for a full refund, THEN we would see an ACTUAL fix , when Apple is stuck with thousands of returned iPhone 4s!

a quick question:
    If one decides to do an exchange at an Apple/AT&T stores , will they give you a brand new unit or a refurbished one,,, and how do they actually determine if you have problems, or is it "no questions asked" policy ?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    Not at all. Jobs spent too much time spinning and spreading FUD... and despite thinking the iPhone4 is a beautiful design, Jobs' solution is to cover up that beauty? Not really happy about the outcome of this presser.
    Agreed, I am happy that they are at least giving the bumpers away and refunding those that have already purchased them. But the fact is this does not address the real issue. This is just a work-around for what is a clear hardware issue.

I do think a lot of folks will accept it though without returning their phones. I thought about returning, but what are my options really? Go back to my 3GS, which I have already given to my son? Consider Verizon with a Droid? I just don't think I'd like the Droid as much as my iPhone and Verizon has gaps in coverage here. While AT&T isn't great or perfect, they are the best options.

I also believe this problem has not been reported by a lot of folks awaiting and assuming Apple would fix the issue. So, the reported number is likely not accurate and I still remain convince it is much higher.
    Last edited by OTACORB; 07-16-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Jeez, some whiners are just impossible to please. Jobs proved that this is all but a non-issue yet still promised a $30 case/bumper to all iphone 4 users and you all are still whining.

I say kudos to Steve and Apple. They've proven, yet again, that they have the greatest customer service.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by stkywik View Post
    Jeez, some whiners are just impossible to please. Jobs proved that this is all but a non-issue yet still promised a $30 case/bumper to all iphone 4 users and you all are still whining.

I say kudos to Steve and Apple. They've proven, yet again, that they have the greatest customer service.
    Yeah everyone that disagrees with your opinion are whiners! Where do you people come from that everyone with an opposing opinion are just whiners! GROW UP!
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Pro

Jobs proved nothing! Yep we may have interrupted his Hawaii vacation, but guess what, without US the consumers , he wouldnt have this vacation !

Whining!? How about Apple stays on top of things and provides us with what we are used to from them : TOP NOTCH QUALITY! Dont forget we are PAYING customers

While Apple measures this by " number of people calling in", I bet you will see a clear reflection of the true numbers, now that many people will return their units after this poor so called solution!
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Pro

Its like if Sony would sell you a TV but tell you to put a rubber cover around it to get a better reception,, how many of you would accept that as an actual SOLUTION !???
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Lol it doesnt cost job $30 bucks for that case, its probably a fraction of a cent to get those manufactured...alittle exaggeration of course but still its not $30 he is giving away.

See it this way...instead of a hardware recall, he is simply saying stick 5 cents worth of plastic to your phone which will save me money and time and you will think better of me.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

what more do you want? Do you want him to personally come to your house and give you a hug, tell you he's sorry for selling a product that is inferior to none?

I'm not the one that needs to grow up. those of you who constantly complain need to. If someone were to come on to this board and just read these threads, they'd think that 90% of all iphone 4's are nothing but useless bricks but in reality it is far and way the best smartphone on the market today. And on top of that, apple went above and beyond normal expectations to ensure customer happiness. Jobs had every right to simply go out on that stage, give the facts and drop the microphone- flipping the bird to the audience while he walked offstage. He didn't though. He did something to try and appease the petulant little brats out there- all of which apparently post on this board. But that won't make you happy, because nothing makes you happy. You apparently live to wallow in your own misery over a non issue.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkang View Post
    Lol it doesnt cost job $30 bucks for that case, its probably a fraction of a cent to get those manufactured...alittle exaggeration of course but still its not $30 he is giving away.

See it this way...instead of a hardware recall, he is simply saying stick 5 cents worth of plastic to your phone which will save me money and time and you will think better of me.
    the manufacturing cost is a moot point. the bumper is listed at $30 retail, so regardless of what it cost to produce, that's $30 out of his pocket. So, yeah, it did cost him that much.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behshad View Post
    Its like if Sony would sell you a TV but tell you to put a rubber cover around it to get a better reception,, how many of you would accept that as an actual SOLUTION !???
    You act like this problem is Apple's alone. It is proven that many smartphones have the same problem.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  
    iMore Pro

what more do you want? Do you want him to personally come to your house and give you a hug, tell you he's sorry for selling a product that is inferior to none?

I'm not the one that needs to grow up. those of you who constantly complain need to. If someone were to come on to this board and just read these threads, they'd think that 90% of all iphone 4's are nothing but useless bricks but in reality it is far and way the best smartphone on the market today. And on top of that, apple went above and beyond normal expectations to ensure customer happiness. Jobs had every right to simply go out on that stage, give the facts and drop the microphone- flipping the bird to the audience while he walked offstage. He didn't though. He did something to try and appease the petulant little brats out there- all of which apparently post on this board. But that won't make you happy, because nothing makes you happy. You apparently live to wallow in your own misery over a non issue.
    Clearly you would think differently, had you been one of the "victims" of the antenna issue.
    A hug is as bad a bumper.
    How about an actual research , repair and recall!??
    How about securing their future in this tough market. You really think that people gonna blindly pre-order the 5th Gen iPhone next summer? Apple will pay dearly for this , because CONSUMER TRUST is a do or die in this business.

If your phone is working flawlessly, great ! Feel lucky. But dont come in here and try to force your opinion to us and tell us how we should feel ! Just enjoy your luck and move on
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iMore Pro

You act like this problem is Apple's alone. It is proven that many smartphones have the same problem.
    First of THIS problem is an iPhone 4 antenna issue. Also , I dont give a rat's *** what other smartphones do or not. I chose iPhone cause of quality! And if they brag about the new system while people cheer at the confrence a month ago, then today they say that "problem isnt that bad, cause iPhone 4 is only 1% WORSE than 3GS"... come on ! They admit that their new technology they bragged about, is WORSE than what we bought a year ago!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Behshad View Post
    Jobs proved nothing! Yep we may have interrupted his Hawaii vacation, but guess what, without US the consumers , he wouldnt have this vacation !

Whining!? How about Apple stays on top of things and provides us with what we are used to from them : TOP NOTCH QUALITY! Dont forget we are PAYING customers

While Apple measures this by " number of people calling in", I bet you will see a clear reflection of the true numbers, now that many people will return their units after this poor so called solution!
    Were you asleep during the press conference, or were the numbers too hard for you to understand? It was shown that many of the phones out on the market show the same problems. the phone drops less than one percent more calls than the 3GS. But to listen to you people, you feel like you won the lottery if you can actually get a call to connect.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Pro

Were you asleep during the press conference, or were the numbers too hard for you to understand? It was shown that many of the phones out on the market show the same problems. the phone drops less than one percent more calls than the 3GS. But to listen to you people, you feel like you won the lottery if you can actually get a call to connect.

As I said, Yours work, feel lucky ! Enjoy and move on. No sweat off your back.

And NO other phone out there has this antenna issue like iphone 4, where you have to hold your phone certain way to get a signal, Get real,,, youre drinking way too much Apple Koolaid kiddo..... we're not talking about the regular dropped signals that affects any network and any phone,,,we're talking a malfunctioned, wrongly contrsucted antenna. Huge difference !

This isnt about winning the lottery. Its about wanting a phone (that wasnt free ) to WORK properly.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

All I care about is the release date for Canada I'll be getting my bumper since I was going to put a case on it anyway but I wont be using it at first. I want to see if I will be able to make it drop signal on our network.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,541 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I am a happy user. That's all that matters, MY personal experience. Those with issues have options, but some don't like them. Oh well, sucks to be them.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

Lol are you living in the real world? Lets assume that it is close to 1% of more dropped calls. Thats 1% of 100 calls per 3 million phones that were sold. Thats 3 million dropped calls more than the 3gs per 100 calls. How could their new and better phone be worse off than the previous predecessor even if it is 1% of 100 calls...its still 1% worse than the 3gs...thats not an improvement.
    TiPb Fourm Staff

iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

When I had to pay $29 for my White Bumper I was not very happy.

But now that its free I love it, rofl.
    Twitter = JHamilton24
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast