Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Default What is the significance of September 30?

Since Apple announced that they will be giving free cases until September 30th, what will happen after that? Will there be a hardware fix? A new iPhone? Or what? Opinions?
    There has to be a permanent fix after Sep. 30....
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I am thinking the same thing. What I do not want to happen is Apple to fix this through hardware and not allow me to get a fixed unit. That would suck. I am thinking about taking the 4 back and waiting. We need more info. We all know the iPhone 5 will be fixed and I will upgrade. The problem is I do not want my 4 devalued and sell for less on eBay or Craigslist if I have an "old" model with antenna issues. I wish they would really be transparent about this.
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

I'd imagine they are going to make a very slight hardware change though it may look exactly the same. They're just saying that they need time to fix this so they gave themselves a deadline of Sept 30th.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
    iMore Beginner

Nothing will happen. It's the last day of September that's all. They aren't going to give cases away for free until the next model.

There will be NO refresh until June 2011. It only affects <1% of phones!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I think they are going to do the minor inside change and put that in stores for exchanges for alrwady sold units. So by Sept. 30 they will probably have finished the last batch of the current design they will give free bumpers with and start selling the new design. The reason Steve wouldn't announce the exchange plan is because even people who don't have the issue would take their phone in to get it exchanged for a Brand spanking new phone. It will be torn apart by sites soon to see what kind of change was made anyway.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Expert

yeah thats a good point. i think if they do fix it inside then they obviously need to hook up the people who already own one. i dont really have issues with my signal as im always holding the phone in my right hand anyways so the free case works for me. i always use cases anyways to protect the phone.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iPhone Intermediate

Nobody's said it yet?

OK.... then I'll do it.

CDMA towers on Apple's campus?
    VERIZON iPhone on Sept. 30th!!!!

Here we go again!
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,678 Global Posts

They hope the issue dies down by then. And ipod touch mania will be hitting then to take the spotlight along with 4.x, gamecenter, and ipad update.

They already said the problem is inherent in smartphones. Only fix can be in a new design.

But their reassessment involves how much flack is going around the media still about the antenna thing.
    Last edited by cardfan; 07-16-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

By September 30th, the media will have moved on to some other "non-event" story to beat into the ground.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

I hope all of you are correct. I am an avid iPhone user and get the new model every year. I mostly depend on re-sale of my previous model to get the new model. If Apple fixes this with a new antenna design and all of the "original" users are stuck with their old phones with no recourse, I will leave Apple. Ultimately I understand it is not a huge deal. I always use a case and do not let it bother me. But this gets down to principle and would feel cheated. Not to mention any losses I would incur on resale.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

^^^^^ so true. I feel the same way and I also rely on my old iPhone to provide funds for the new one.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

you are not going anywhere stop fluffing yourself up. you will buy the next ithing im sure. so our "first" batch phone will sell for 20 bucks less on ebay next year you will live. lol
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

They're probably just going to package the iPhone 4 with a bumper or case at that point.
    iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 32GB Wi-fi, Mac Mini(2010)
    Twitter - @UhanRodric
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,678 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UhanRodric View Post
    They're probably just going to package the iPhone 4 with a bumper or case at that point.
    Out with the headphones, in with the Bumper..lol
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ok so how do i get my bumper? I went to an Apple store and they told me i have to go to apple.com and i did that but i dont see any links for it...?
    Join me on Facebook and check out my group: Hack-My-I
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Follow Me on Twitter and I will Follow You Back
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB
    White iPad2 16gb wi-fi: hack-my-i Edition

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0

They said that the information regarding the rebate/free case would be up late this week during the press confrence.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ok thanks i just saw that on apple.com
    Join me on Facebook and check out my group: Hack-My-I
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Follow Me on Twitter and I will Follow You Back
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB
    White iPad2 16gb wi-fi: hack-my-i Edition

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Out with the headphones, in with the Bumper..lol
    Lol. IMO that isn't actually too bad of an idea. I'd totally prefer a Bumper/Case instead of headphones. I use them, just not often enough to keep needing new ones. I have used the same ear buds for about 4 years now.
    iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 32GB Wi-fi, Mac Mini(2010)
    Twitter - @UhanRodric
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,678 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UhanRodric View Post
    Lol. IMO that isn't actually too bad of an idea. I'd totally prefer a Bumper/Case instead of headphones. I use them, just not often enough to keep needing new ones. I have used the same ear buds for about 4 years now.
    Welp, then Consumer Reports would hold off recommending because it didn't come with headphones.
    iPhone Intermediate

Face it... CHEAP FIX... What's a plastic case cost? .0001... Total Recall to FIX a Hardware problem they KNEW about? Let's try to connect with the figures... OVER 1.1 Million iPhone 4 sold... You do the math... Back to my point with the faulty coffee maker I sold in another post... Someone else had another great answer to this issue... 15 + PHD's on the team and they had NO idea... Yea, Someone tell me the Gulf Oil Disaster is NOT a World CATASTROPHE and the effects will NOT be felt worldwide...
    Pray without Ceasing...And EXPECT GREAT ANSWERS... HAND/MGBU, IGoSlo (iMFREED)
    iPhone Pro

Quote Originally Posted by marketsqhero View Post
    Nothing will happen. It's the last day of September that's all. They aren't going to give cases away for free until the next model.

There will be NO refresh until June 2011. It only affects <1% of phones!

It's the last day of the third financial quarter too, its about numbers kids...
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkTwice View Post
    Nobody's said it yet?

OK.... then I'll do it.

CDMA towers on Apple's campus?
    VERIZON iPhone on Sept. 30th!!!!

Here we go again!
    that was confirmed false, its was photoshopped the chat
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.