Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default Am I the only one with a brick thanks to 4.0.1?

The mac forums have quite a few folks who had problems, but most seem to be able to restore after a few attempts. Upgrading to 4.0.1 for me bricked my new iPhone 4. I've tried 10+ times to restore using different PC's and no luck so far (error code 14 on both most of the time). Anyone else here having trouble?

I don't have an Apple store within 3 hours of me - so if they have to swap it out via shipping back and forth, I may have to wait a while.
    iMore Guru

Man! There seems to be a lot of probes with this update. I will wait to see what happens
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Updated fine for me with no problems.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,605 Global Posts

What's even sadder for the OP was that this update wasn't really worth his time of installing.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5 GM

Are the PC's you're using connected to the internet? They must be to check Apple's server. Otherwise, DFU restore?
    iMore Intermediate

My iMac (2007 Aluminum) has been having weird issues with updating iPhones. I have attempted to restore my 3G, a friends 3G, and my iPhone 4. All of them freeze up about half way thru. I have to unplug the iPhone, which then goes into Recovery Mode due to a bad install.

My 12" Powerbook, on the other hand, has no problems restoring or updating iPhones.

What I do now is backup to my main system, and then update or restore from the other.
    iPhone Newbie

Mine failed and I was forced to restore. Luckily, I did so with no issues and now have the useless 4.0.1 running. Although, another major downside was it didn't sync all my apps, so I had to redo my folders. Apple is losing my faith, though I'm far from a fanboy.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,431 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No problems installing 4.0.1 for me.
    iPhone Newbie

INitvizn,
    I had my phone stuck all night. Tried restore and it would either get stuck or error 14. I had a cell from tech support this morning and my phone is now working. I was unaware they In order to properly do a full restore, I had to hold down the Home button for a 10 seconds (make sure the phone is completely off) and keep it held while plugging in the dock cable. Then you release the Home button when the "restore" message on iTunes pops up. This worked for me after about 10 failures last night. Hope this helps.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Sounds like this is more computer related than actually the update itself. I updated an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and an iPad, no problem!!!
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    Sounds like this is more computer related than actually the update itself. I updated an iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and an iPad, no problem!!!
    Maybe so - I'm back up and running. I tried it again on my old laptop (3rd PC I've tried) after installing iTunes (it never had it on there) - and it restored perfectly. Weird thing is - I upgraded my old 3G on my laptop without re-installing iTunes and it upgraded to 4.0.1 without a hitch.

Who knows, but I appear to be back in business....
    iPhone Pro

It's funny all the people that I know that have had issues with this update have been using a PC. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a Windows issue and not one that is happening to Mac users.
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi

Global Posts
    3,687 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I had a small issue when I updated my 3GS to iOS 4 a few weeks ago. Windows Vista. iTunes
    and Windows hardly play nice anymore.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

no problems here...
    Join me on Facebook and check out my group: Hack-My-I
    Note: Pls let me know if u are on TiPb while sending me a friend request so i can send u an invitation to the group, Thanks!
    Follow Me on Twitter and I will Follow You Back
    Blk iPhone 4 32GB
    White iPad2 16gb wi-fi: hack-my-i Edition

iCANT Customize MY iPHONE. AGAIN. (iOS4 UPDATE!!!) Sign this Petition and let your voice be heard!!
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by iquinn View Post
    It's funny all the people that I know that have had issues with this update have been using a PC. I'm starting to wonder if it is just a Windows issue and not one that is happening to Mac users.
    I think you may be right - I know 3 others with iPhone 4's and they were all on Macs and had no trouble. Most of the problems I've seen on the mac discussion boards also appear to have occurred on Windows PC's.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I just tried it with Win7. After a 32 minute download, it hung in the "preparing iPhone for update" phase. Then I got the "iPhone could not be updated. An unknown error occureed (1603)."

iTunes wouldn't recognize my iPhone at that point. I closed it down and reopened it with the iPhone disconnected. Reconnected and iTunes said it located an iPhone in recovery mode and that I'd need to restore it, and lose all data and settings. Yay.

During this time, the iPhone displayed the Apple logo and wouldn't respond even turn it off.

Restore is done... it's all gone. Damn.

I am ever-so-grateful to Apple and the whole backup process. I'd be in a world of hurt without it.
    iMore Beginner

Just happened to me. I wasn't even going to install the update, but I plugged in to sync some old CDs I just ripped and figured eh, wth. And now I'm in brick city. This stinks, I'm on my 3rd time attempting to recover. I'm going to lose all of my pics and videos now aren't I? ugh...

I did this on a Windows 7 PC
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

45 minute turn-around between download and update from 4.0 to 4.0.1 on a 3G. No dramas. Win XP sp3.
    iPhone Newbie

I had problems too. Couldn't upgrade, and then couldn't restore. The guys at Apple couldn't help, but then I did my own research and found that it could be the USB port. I switched my plug to a different USB port, and the install went smoothly.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts

Good idea about trying different USB port.

No troubles upgrading to 4.0.1 today.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Beginner

A friend of a friend ran into the same issue I did on a Win 7 PC. He eventually got it to restore by going into Control panel -- remove programs --- clicking on iTunes and hitting Repair. The installer popped up for a min then he tried again and all went well. Fairly quick fix to try if anyone else hits a wall.