Proximity Sensor: HW or SW Problem?

Do you think the proximity issue in the iP4 is a HW or SW glitch...and what can fix i

• Software Problem (An update will fix!)

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Hardward Problem (No update besides replacement!)

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
With many (like myself) having issues with the iPhone 4 proximity sensor not locking the screen on calls...at least not all the time, and the answer of whether Apple will issue a recall or replacement program...

What do you think the PS issue is? A software glitch...or a hardware problem?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the proximity sensor can be fixed by a software update it works it just doesn't work well enough and I think its a software sensitivity thing

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a software problem too. However if it's not, Apple is going to take the phone back for a full refund, even if it's after the 30 days and without a restocking fee. And if some store geek gives me guff about it, I'll plant this phone where he will have no choice to think about it every single time he takes a dump.

Ok, now it's off to the wife. We need to talk about bail money.:eek:

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I think its a hardware problem. If a software problem, everyone with the phone would be having the same problem. I have absolutely no problems with the proximity sensor. Mine works as designed.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The apple discussion forum has many posts stating that the ios update released today fixed the sensor issue. I doubt it, but interesting I suppose. I had the issue, but I restored as a new phone two weeks ago and it seems to have helped. No more cheek dialing since then.

awtryau89

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I had the opposite of many. I sometimes would lose calls but sometimes I would take the phone away from my face and the screen stayed black. It would freeze my phone. I took it into Apple today and told them of the issue and they replaced it immediately without me even asking for it. I took the new phone and on the way home tried to make a call before a backup or restore. The proximity sensor would not even turn the screen off. I was pissed thinking this phone was worse than the one I just got replaced. Anyway, I got home and updated to 4.0.1 and it works great. I have tested it over and over on calls with my hands and face and no issues so far. I am beginning to think it was software for sure based on my experience.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's necessarily faulty hardware. I think the change in sensor placement is what has done it. Whether a software update could fix it, in that the sensitivity is changed, I don't know.

newguy7

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
When I took my phone back to apple for the proximity issue they had a look inside with some microscope thingie and offered the replacement immediately. It might be a hardware thing.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking through other forums and checking up on what's said, it really does seem like this black bezel could be too dark. On the white iP4 pics that have surfaced, you can clearly see where the proximity sensor in the bezel. I guess we'll see.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I have the issue and it sucks at times, but I get around it. I am hoping it's a software issue. I'll given until 4.1 to see if they fix it. If not, replacement it is. Funny how I go through three units until I get a trouble free iPhone every single generation.

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The white bezel has a cut out as white being reflective would skew the sensor readings. Basically it takes an average of the surrounding light, then when it suddenly goes darker (i.e. by your face blocking the light) it kicks in.

If it can't get a true reading of the average light it doesn't work.

My guess is the bezel is too dark and it's not letting enough light through, therefore it's average is low and putting your face to it isn't the rapid fluctuation it needs to work.

So, hardware issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711