Sen Schumer pens open letter to Steve Jobs

fresh1

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
(CNN) - New York Sen. Charles Schumer on Thursday called Apple's suggestions for remedying a widespread issue with the iPhone 4 "insufficient" and urged the company to come clean about a problem that has many iPhone 4 customers up in arms. Schumer made the comment in an open letter written to Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

July 15, 2010

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple's innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner. According to Consumer Reports' review, released Monday on its website, the iPhone 4's signal-strength problem is a hardwire glitch triggered by gripping the device in a particular manner. This finding, according to Consumer Reports, "call into question" Apple's recent claim that the problem is "largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software." Consumer Reports declined to recommend the iPhone 4 because of this hardware design flaw.

Given the discrepancy between Consumer Reports' explanation of the reception problem and the explanation provided by Apple in its July 2 letter to customers, I am concerned that the nearly two million purchasers of the iPhone 4 may not have complete information about the quality of the product they have purchased. The burden for consumers caused by this glitch, combined with the confusion over its cause and how it will be fixed, has the potential to undermine the many benefits of this innovative device. To address this concern, I ask that Apple provide iPhone 4 customers with a clearly written explanation of the cause of the reception problem and make a public commitment to remedy it free-of-charge. The solutions offered to date by Apple for dealing with the so-called "death grip" malfunction-such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it-seem to be insufficient. These proposed solutions would unfairly place the burden on consumers for resolving a problem they were not aware of when they purchased their phones.

I also encourage Apple to keep its promise to provide free software updates so that bars displayed accurately reflect signal strength; I further urge Apple to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in.

I look forward to Apple's swift action on this matter, and once again laud Apple for its innovative efforts and service to millions of Americans.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Charles Schumer ? - Blogs from CNN.com

Fresh1

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Like this bozo and his 99 fellow Senators don't have anything better to do than showboat and grandstand... no wonder this country it headed to hell on a zip line.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah its too bad that such a letter had to be written to begin with! These politicians will always jump in when it is seen as a popular thing to do. Maybe Schumer will get his answer Friday morning at 10 AM.

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
jobs respond : ?You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it.? ?Retire, relax, approve a nonsense bill, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I think we all need to see if this new update has improved our iPhone4 reception.

Call Schumer and let him know what you think: (202) 224-3027

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
jobs respond : ?You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it.? ?Retire, relax, approve a nonsense bill, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.?

Ummm.....I hate to break the news to you but those quotes are from a forged email. BGR is responsible for that one. Jobs never said any of that.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What I think is funny is the handlers for that senator someone is going to be out of a job. You know that someone saw all the celebrities cashing in on it and thought hey you need to get on the hot topic and get the people on your side. Well now like you guys said he just looks like a jackass. The thing is that this is what happems with innovation if companies always used the same designs well you guys know where we would be. So OK new design that Apple thought would give better reception and bring a new design thay we would benefit. OK so it didn't work out as they planned that is what happens on the cutting edge. I think this letter is no worse than Whoppi and her ratings stunt, if you were pissed of then sell the phone, give it to the teenager down the road there are a million other people who would love to have it.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
99 fellow senators??

.. Aren't there only 51 states?

Am I missing something?

Only 50 states and not 57, like our current Commander in Chief said when he was on the campaign trail. Also, each state is represented by 2 senators, regardless of the state's size.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah its too bad that such a letter had to be written to begin with! These politicians will always jump in when it is seen as a popular thing to do. Maybe Schumer will get his answer Friday morning at 10 AM.

Or maybe he'll get an answer on Wednesday morning, Nov 3.

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
(CNN) - New York Sen. Charles Schumer on Thursday called Apple's suggestions for remedying a widespread issue with the iPhone 4 "insufficient" and urged the company to come clean about a problem that has many iPhone 4 customers up in arms. Schumer made the comment in an open letter written to Apple CEO Steve Jobs.

July 15, 2010

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4. While I commend Apple's innovative approach to mobile technology and appreciate its service to millions of iPhone users nationwide, I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner. According to Consumer Reports' review, released Monday on its website, the iPhone 4's signal-strength problem is a hardwire glitch triggered by gripping the device in a particular manner. This finding, according to Consumer Reports, "call into question" Apple's recent claim that the problem is "largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software." Consumer Reports declined to recommend the iPhone 4 because of this hardware design flaw.

Given the discrepancy between Consumer Reports' explanation of the reception problem and the explanation provided by Apple in its July 2 letter to customers, I am concerned that the nearly two million purchasers of the iPhone 4 may not have complete information about the quality of the product they have purchased. The burden for consumers caused by this glitch, combined with the confusion over its cause and how it will be fixed, has the potential to undermine the many benefits of this innovative device. To address this concern, I ask that Apple provide iPhone 4 customers with a clearly written explanation of the cause of the reception problem and make a public commitment to remedy it free-of-charge. The solutions offered to date by Apple for dealing with the so-called "death grip" malfunction-such as holding the device differently, or buying a cover for it-seem to be insufficient. These proposed solutions would unfairly place the burden on consumers for resolving a problem they were not aware of when they purchased their phones.

I also encourage Apple to keep its promise to provide free software updates so that bars displayed accurately reflect signal strength; I further urge Apple to issue a written explanation of the formula it uses to calculate bar strength, so that consumers can once again trust the product that they have invested in.

I look forward to Apple's swift action on this matter, and once again laud Apple for its innovative efforts and service to millions of Americans.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Charles Schumer ? - Blogs from CNN.com

Fresh1

Dear Mr. Schumer

Hold Different
SJ
Sent from my iPhone

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal