Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default iPhone and new PC sync help needed

Hi All

In new here and new to the iphone.

I work in IT and tomorrow I am going to assist a customer in syncing his iphone to his new laptop for the first time. Im not familier with this and I have been informed it can be a bit tricky. He has a Windows 7 laptop with Outlook 2007. All he wants to do is transfer contacts (but not to duplicate or ovewrite the existing ones on the PC or phone) and his diary. He uses an IMAP account for email and his iphone and PC currently access this and it all works fine. As the emails in an IMAP account are stored remotely on the ISP server there is no need to transfer emails as he has access to them already.

I need to be certain that syncing the iphone will not overwrite any email settings on the phone as it took ages to get them right and it all currently works.

The objective at the end is simply to sync Outlook with the phone each time it connects so that if a new contact or diary date has been added on either device it is transfered when connected.

Any pointers in the right direction really appreciated
    iMore Guru

1,545 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,577 Global Posts

when you sync for the first time it asks if you want to setup the phone as a new phone more then likely this is the route he has to take since hes already been using it im not sure if its going to over right anything on the phone but when I set mine up as a new phone it put the email accounts in for me and also synced the contacts in im just not sure if it will effect the contacts already on his phone or not