Typing with onscreen keyboard for new user.

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry I am very used to the hardware keyboard. Does typing on this onscreen keyboard get any better? Every ther word I type is a mistake! How was you guys' experience? Can you type accurately without looking a the keyboard?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It does take some practice and you do have to look at the keyboard. And you will have to learn how to trust the predictive typing program to gain Speed.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It takes a little getting used too. Especially finding the right touch to get going fast. Don't mash your fingers on the screen, it only takes a light touch. You will get the hang of it and pay attention to the text prediction as you go.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I've always had a hardware keyboard....Treo 700w, Treo 700wx, Treo 750, BlackBerry 9000, BlackBerry 9700...

I was typing fast on the iPhone 4 after a day. I actually prefer it over the hardware keyboard. My thumbs not actually having to push buttons so much feels great.

I actually picked up the wife's 9700 the other night and it felt so strange after having the iPhone for a while. (she is holding out for the white iPhone 4)

I'm very happy with my move to the iPhone.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
When I first got the iPhone a couple years ago, I was a bit worried because I was much slower on the keyboard. After awhile though, I found myself being faster on it vs. a hardware keyboard.

You'll get the hang of it. :)
Also, the iPhone is super smart. If you get close to spelling a word, it'll fix it for you!

mdntblu

May 17, 2009
www.lightmyworld.com
I came from a Samsung Blackjack to the iPhone 3G, then 3GS now iphone 4.

When I started getting used to the iPhone keyboard I actually typed faster then I did with the Samsung Blackjack.

Also sometimes typing in landscape is much faster but for some reason I still prefer the portrait typing mode.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a blackberry I am very used to the hardware keyboard. Does typing on this onscreen keyboard get any better? Every ther word I type is a mistake! How was you guys' experience? Can you type accurately without looking a the keyboard?

I couldn't do that on my curve, either, lol.

As everyone else has said, there is a learning curve with a touchscreen keyboard. Be patient. :)

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
you get used to it the you get fast. it is better your be able to type 10-20 more words per minute with the right touch

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
oh man. i love the iPhone keyboard. GF's LG Vu is the most annoying on screen keyboard, ever. hands down.

LG Vu is horrible I had to buy one for my brother so I tested it for half an hour. Anyone complaining the iPhone screen is small should be given 1 for a day. I wonder if it's a different experience if you never used a physical keyboard before the iPhone? I never had a physical keyboard before the iPhone, it took me about two days to stop making mistakes. I hate predictive text and autocorrection so I always turn those off. So as a result I don't type without looking at the screen.

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I came from an 8900 and at first I didn't like the keyboard, but now I can type even faster than on my BlackBerry.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I had a iphone 2g before I ventured into blackberry and I will say speed on a blackberry is far faster then speed on the iphone I can type quite fast on a iPhone but I was blazing fast on a bold

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am in LOVE with the on-screen keyboard. Just learn to let it think for you. 99% of the time you can type much faster than on BlackBerry because it requires such little pressure to input a letter. Now I feel ridiculous when I try to use a physical keyboard, every keystroke is such a hard press.

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I am willing to give the touchscreen keyboard on the iP4 a chance. Though I love the keyboard on my BB, other things about Blackberry, not so much.

denness544

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it's just me but coming from a 3gs to the iPhone4, I am getting more mistakes. Or it could be iOS4 that makes typing a little more difficult.

Guru

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
IMO I just simply can NOT type as fast or as accurately on my iphone as I could on my blackberry 9000 or 9700. I was blazingly fast on those devices and rarely made a typo. Iphone I start typing gibberish due to the spell correction. Can I add words to it? Going to landscape mode helps though but inconvenient when just trying to get a quick message out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2