ip4 A little setup help? (exchange, google contacts, calenders, etc)

Luke_Y

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all :)

Will be setting up my and my wife's iPhone 4 later this week and have a few questions.

First the details;

We both currently use BBs so a small learning curve.

We both will need Exchange work e-mail but not work calender or contacts (unless I can get GAL access...)

We currently both also have a gmail account and sync our BBs contacts with gmail.

We also both use and sync google calenders with those accounts and view each others calenders on our own.

We both have a few other email accounts with our internet provider.

My understanding is that I need to setup work exchange accounts using the obvious "exchange" option, but only select mail to sync, not cal or contacts.

Set up gmail using the "exchange" option as well (not the more logical gmail option) and set it to sync mail, contacts, and calender.

Set up the ISP emails using the "other" option.

What about the iTunes settings? If I used "exchange" for gmail contacts and calender, do I, can I, or should I still check the box to sync gmail contacts and cal in iTunes? It would be nice to have those gmail contacts and calender sync with each of our MacBooks contacts and cal as well.

On the BBs we use a unified inbox for all our accounts, glad we can keep doing that. When deleting mail on the BB we have the option set to ask "Delete on handheld or Mailbox and handheld" can we have this setting/prompt on the iPhone?

Do I have it right? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, Luke

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Since you sync to a work Exchange server and Google, just leave iTunes alone - less to go wrong. It only winds up giving you duplicates.

When deleting mail on the BB, you were using RIM's server which is unique. Your Exchange accounts (work and Google) will keep all your email in sync, so if you want something deleted everywhere, delete it anywhere. If you want to see it on your Mac when you get home - don't delete it from your iPhone. This is a great opportunity to set up folders to save important emails.

Luke_Y

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Since you sync to a work Exchange server and Google, just leave iTunes alone - less to go wrong. It only winds up giving you duplicates.

Hmm, it would have been nice to have the Google contacts and calendar sync with contacts and calendar on the MacBooks. Thought it might be possible if we were not syncing the work exchange contacts and calendar. But I don't want to have to deal with duplicate entries showing up. Is the iTunes setting the only way to accomplish this?

When deleting mail on the BB, you were using RIM's server which is unique. Your Exchange accounts (work and Google) will keep all your email in sync, so if you want something deleted everywhere, delete it anywhere. If you want to see it on your Mac when you get home - don't delete it from your iPhone. This is a great opportunity to set up folders to save important emails.

I use 2 folders in outlook for reference and documentation email. If I use more folders to sort the bulk of my email things tend to get past me and past due. I find I work better just keeping them in my inbox and flagging them. I would often delete items from my handheld inbox though...

I will just have to adapt i guess. :)

How do the folders work on the handheld?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I will say changing from a bb to iphone email was a different thing bb's do email really well iphone does it well but I liked it better on a bb when you use exchange settings you do get push email so your not losing that functionality

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro