iPhone 4 is WET!

raleighj45

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My new 3 day old iPhone 4 just got drenched in water! I am a firefighter in the Sacramento, CA area and today was on a small brush fire. While I was out there working a helicopter dropped a 500 gallon bucket of water right on top of me. Because I was so excited about my new phone, i had it in my jacket pocket and it got drenched as my pockets were full of standing water. I immediately shut my iPhone down and when I got back to the station shoved it in a bag of rice. So far it wont turn on. Does anyone have any advice to get this thing to come back?!

I feel as though i'm about to cry at any moment. Loved the phone the 3 days I had it working.

Sadly,

Raleigh

Mickyfin

Jul 3, 2010
nokiadna.com
If your confident enough, remove the two bottom screws, and remove the back glass, and continue to dry it out for s few days, but if you can remove the battery too, this will help also.

realpatmurphy

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Attempt an exchange. I have heard some stories about people who work in Law enforcement and Firefighters who have successfully exchanged their iPhones because of damage in the field. Whether it was an officer whose phone was damaged chasing a criminal or a firefighter who got it damaged by water or heat. Then again these may just be isolated cases but its worth a shot if what you are trying does not work.

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, I feel so bad for you. If you get a replacement, I highly recommend Squaretrade.com: they paid to replace my 3G that was damaged by water after a $50 deductible. The process was quick and painless.

raleighj45

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the support. I have my fingers crossed that it comes back on. I called at&t and it sounds like my option to get another one without having to pay 7-800 bucks for a new 32g is to add a line to my account. Still pretty expensive loss if this doesn't pan out. And I will go into apple for an attempted exchange in a couple days if no luck. thanks for the tips

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
He doesn't need insurance. Just needs to get it repaired by apple. Costs 199 though.

With the upfront cost of insurance and deductibles, why bother when apple will repair it?
Apple - Support - iPhone - Service FAQ

Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
iPhone 4 Out-of-Warranty Service
16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB & 16GB $199
Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service.

Last edited:

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the support. I have my fingers crossed that it comes back on. I called at&t and it sounds like my option to get another one without having to pay 7-800 bucks for a new 32g is to add a line to my account. Still pretty expensive loss if this doesn't pan out. And I will go into apple for an attempted exchange in a couple days if no luck. thanks for the tips

Ouch!!! I hope the rice fixes it!! But, its good to know you have other options rather than giving Apple more $$!!

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Attempt an exchange. I have heard some stories about people who work in Law enforcement and Firefighters who have successfully exchanged their iPhones because of damage in the field. Whether it was an officer whose phone was damaged chasing a criminal or a firefighter who got it damaged by water or heat. Then again these may just be isolated cases but its worth a shot if what you are trying does not work.

My wifey's brother is a firefighter here in socal! The exact same thing happened to him as the OP. Apple gave him a new phone free, 'cuz of the service he does for the community, nice perk! BE SAFE OUT THERE GUY, THANKS FOR STOPPING ALL OUR FIRES!!

raleighj45

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hurray! I went into to the nearest Apple and told them my sob story. I walked out with a brand new iPhone free of charge! I love Apple. Thank you guys for all your advice. I guess I can sleep now. :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711