Does your iPhone 4 get really hot?

CharlieBall

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I heard that a lot of iPhone 3GS had heating problems, never had it on mine, but I noticed that my iPhone 4 gets really hot after some use. I was uploading a video on YouTube and I took a picture with flash on a couple times. After a while I noticed that my phone was REALLY warm, especially around the metel edges.

Later on tonight I was playing around with ichatr and after a while, it started getting hot too.

Anyone else having some hot/warm phones?

BrandonB

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Have not noticed anything of concern with mine. As mentioned above it only seems to be noticeable when talking for extended periods of time.

Archetype

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets noticeably warm in a matter of minutes whether I am playing a game, checking email, or even listening to music. I cannot tell whether the heat is just exaggerated by the steel sides and glass back, but given my poor battery life, I think mine is suffering from hardware issues. If you are concerned about yours, take it to Apple to see what they think. At the very worst, they will tell you yours is perfectly normal.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Only time I've ever felt mine getting warm is when I was using the GPS and had it docked in my vehicle. So it was using the GPS chipset and basically charging at the same time. I would say it was slightly warm, not really what I'd call hot though.

pchris

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
It gets noticeably warmer when talking or playing on the phone for a longer period...but i guess every device heats up when it is overused..

Last edited:

Archetype

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, CharlieBall et al.

For those of you who still have iPhones that become hot with even the lightest of use, try reseating or even replacing your SIM card. As I have posted before, my phone used to get noticeably warm within minutes of use and alarmingly hot while charging. Now, I no longer have this problem.

The difference in perceptible heat is night and day. I have been charging my phone for the last hour from the wall and it is not even close to warm -- it charges faster to boot.

I think what is happening in overheating iPhones is that the SIM card or SIM tray is touching the logic board causing the overabundance of heat. Actually, I think this has been an issue with previous iPhones, as well. It's definitely worth a try -- it seems to have solved the heating issues on mine completely.

No word yet on whether this improves my abysmal battery life, but I get the feeling that it will. I'm still going to see if Apple can take a look at my phone, though.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes mine gets hot when not really doing much at all. Weird but it doesn't happen often so I'm not too worried about it.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I think there maybe a heat issue with the iPhone 4. I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day and only really notice it getting warm after heavy use or when plugged into the car adapter that also charges the phone.

One of my co-worker had a serious issue with the back of his iPhone 4 getting so hot that it was almost uncomfortable to touch. It got to the point where he received an error message saying the phone overheated. He brought it back to Apple where they immediately gave him a new phone. A few day later another co-worker noticed his phone would intermittently not end calls when he pressed the end call button so he took it back to Apple. At first they weren't going to replace the phone because they could not reproduce the error. They then asked if he was having any other issues. He said the back of the phone got hot from time to time. Once he said that, they gave him a new phone. With the success of these two co-workers, another co-worker decided to try and get a replacement phone because he dropped his phone and it had a small scratch. He walked into Apple and told them the phone got hot and they gave him a new phone with no questions asked.

Never mind the fact that everyone I work with has an iPhone. The simple fact that by just stating that the phone gets hot gets you a new phone seems a little too easy. Maybe there is a slight problem with iPhone 4s overheating and Apple is replacing them instead of getting more bad press.

Also today my wife also got her iPhone 4 replaced. She had her's for a couple of days and on the first day she had it the back was getting extremely warm after minimal use so she called Apple to make an appointment with the Genius bar. Her phone hasn't been hot since then and she told them that when they were looking at her phone but they decided to give her a new phone anyway. This furthers my thoughts that there may be something to this overheating issue.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner