Blackberry -> iphone 4 first impressions

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I had 3 blackberrys and to be perfectly honest I just got sick with the hassle of blackberry.. seemed like I had to reformat the phone every couple months do to some glitch of installing and uninstalling a application or something like that.... and frankly browsing the web on a blackberry is just awful I do somewhat miss blackberry messenger though

The iPhone web browsing experience is light years ahead of the BlackBerry's web experience...

Overall, I prefer my iPhone4, but I have to admit, there are somethings that the iPhone does better... and some that the BlackBerry does better. That said, I am here on the iPhone platform, and I am not looking (or going) back...

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
today i took this baby out for a real world test. I was out in new york and have been using the internet quite a lot as well as gps and a few texts. 13 hours later, 65% battery. I think me and the iphone 4 will be good friends.

Rolf

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I remember that too.

Edit:
As for lack of notification options, maybe they haven't figured out how to make it 'easy'.

It really does baffle me. Every other modern phone does this. Most non-smartphones even do it now. The fact that the iPhone, the supposed godly super-phone, cant customize sounds and notifications is puzzling.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
BB 9700 user. Waiting for my iphone 4 to arrive. I didnt know you cant customize your sms or email alerts. Im sure its not that big of a deal

It would not be except that my phone is also my pager for work... and I MUST answer and respond to pages... so I NEED that function... found a work-around sort of...

And the other annoying part is that there are only 6 different choices for SMS/MMS notification... which means that the chance of another iPhone user having the same notification sound for SMS/MMS is highly likely (virtually guaranteed)...

C'mon, Steve, give us the ability to set custom SMS/MMS alert tones - and set them for individual senders... PLEASE?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It really does baffle me. Every other modern phone does this. Most non-smartphones even do it now. The fact that the iPhone, the supposed godly super-phone, cant customize sounds and notifications is puzzling.

There is no way that the iPhone "can't" do it... Mr Jobs, in his supremely arrogant fashion won't allow it...

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple likes to control what tones we use and notifiers...they are a dictatorship..luckily when the jb comes out for the 4...thats all history.

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
It would not be except that my phone is also my pager for work... and I MUST answer and respond to pages... so I NEED that function... found a work-around sort of...

And the other annoying part is that there are only 6 different choices for SMS/MMS notification... which means that the chance of another iPhone user having the same notification sound for SMS/MMS is highly likely (virtually guaranteed)...

C'mon, Steve, give us the ability to set custom SMS/MMS alert tones - and set them for individual senders... PLEASE?
Oh yeah I hear ya, you should definately be able to customize tones and alerts for the iPhone.....and in your case i can see why!

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Several people here (iMuggle, for one...) knows how many times I have been back and forth between the BlackBerry and iPhone, ever snce the original 2G model...and I've used every BB and iPhone model since then. I actually said I would never go back to the iPhone at all...until the iPhone 4 came out.

Yes, I really prefer the tactile "real" qwerty keypad of the BlackBerry. Yes, I miss the notification LED for emails & messages on the BB. The vibration mode when the ringer is off on the BB is three times as strong than that on the iPhone...and it's a drag missing calls. And yes, reception and incoming call quality is much better on the BlackBerry as well...

But, in evey other area...the iPhone 4 simply rocks over the BB. I do wish Jobs & Co. would quit being so freaking dictorial and give us choices of ringtones and notification tones...but even so, at last I can't see ever going back to the "dullness" of the BlackBerry world again. I have seen the light!:)

jMunar

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I came from a 8300 and a 8900 and at first I missed my BB keyboard, but now I think I can type even faster on the iPhone keyboard. I used to bash on the iPhone just like former BB users but now I'm not on my Desktop as much since I can do everything else on my iPhone.

zacharace

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Having used an iPhone 3G and a Bold 9700 before the iPhone 4 release, I'm actually considering a move back to the "dull" world of BlackBerry. I reserved and purchased an iPhone 4 on release day (woke up at 4:00am!) and absolutely loved it for close to a week. After the "new toy" bliss fell away, I was left with a pretty amazing phone, but I feel it's kinda overkill for the things I do most. I use, at best, a quarter of my ~60 apps on a daily basis; the main things I do are send text messages and check email. I miss the Bold's LED, custom notifications and the associated level of customization (and BB's notification scheme in general; as someone else already mentioned, privacy is wanting on iOS), the painless messaging, and, believe it or not, the classic BB form factor (boxy yet sturdy, something that can be thrown around a bit).

All in all, I may give the Bold another shot. Anyone else thinking about this, or am I the only crazy out there? ;)

scottdoc718

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
It's funny. My company actually still uses pagers. However, they are moving away from them to Blackberries for paging and voice. So, I will have a blackberry and an iphone 4. Never used a BB before. It should be an interesting side by side comparison for me.

asr10 user

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I have been a BB user for about 5 years and am waiting for a white Iphone 4. I know ill miss BBM and the LED light. But im thinking, is there an app that will basically copy the LED ? like imagine if the screen stays black but a red dot pops up in the upper right.

jnjewlz

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone. As a former Treo then Blackberry owner I can fully appreciate all this device has to offer. Regardless of all the negative media attention (which is ridiculous) Ive been impresses with the design, performance and software. Its made my job easier and smooth Exchange sync is a major bonus. LogMeIn Ignition has been outstanding. Movies, games and educational apps are fun with the little ones as well. The retina display is simply amazing. It takes great video but the pictures could be a lot better. I'm an happy Apple convert.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73