While looking at the news on the front page I played a great video about a fashion shoot taken with an iPhone ( http://www.tipb.com/2010/07/08/profe...ot-iphone-3gs/ ). It came up on the built in YouTube app of my iP4. It is a fairly long video and it was taking a while to load. I then had an idea. I had read another post in the TiPb news about YouTube updating their mobile version of their site. I played the same video in the mobile version of YouTube and guess what, it loaded much faster. In both the built-in app and the mobile version I was logged into my account and I was playing HQ on the mobile version. I don't see anywhere to turn that on or off with the built-in app and I think it just checks bandwidth to decide on quality. I did this all on WiFi. Anyone else notice this?
    07-08-2010 01:52 PM
    Wow you're right! The YouTube web app gives you the option to view in HQ even over 3G. That's awesome because the built-in app downscales the video so much that it's almost unwatchable on 3G. Thanks for the heads up!
    07-08-2010 02:20 PM
    Wow you're right! The YouTube web app gives you the option to view in HQ even over 3G. That's awesome because the built-in app downscales the video so much that it's almost unwatchable on 3G. Thanks for the heads up!
    Did you notice the speed difference?
    07-08-2010 02:26 PM
    Yup, this is great. Watching videos in HQ over 3G now. No reason to use the app anymore.
    07-08-2010 02:29 PM
    For me, it's slower to load the same video on the web app but that makes sense because it is streaming in HQ. To me, it's a fair trade.
    07-08-2010 02:30 PM
    I see a HUGE difference in both quality and performance in favor of the web app - go google!!!
    07-08-2010 02:35 PM
    For me, it's slower to load the same video on the web app but that makes sense because it is streaming in HQ. To me, it's a fair trade.
    Exactly. I was already patient enough with the youtube app over 3G so there
    stands no reason why I should change for the mobile version. Especially when
    getting HQ over 3G now. This is pretty awesome.
    07-08-2010 02:40 PM
    The HQ vids load fast for me on AT&T's 3G. The quality is amazing too. For me, this has officially made the YouTube app obsolete. Now, if only I could delete this outdated app.........
    07-08-2010 03:14 PM
    I prefer the app instead. It just seems more comfortable to me.
    07-08-2010 03:29 PM
    I prefer the app instead. It just seems more comfortable to me.
    Yep... I prefer the native app feeling and behaviour.
    07-08-2010 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD