Need Week View Calendar

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from devices where I had a week view for my calendar. This is missing on the iPhone. It seems that Agendus and PocketInformant both have this feature (as well as a lot of other features which I may or may not want or use). Has anyone tried either or both of these and can provide some advice. FWIW, I use Outlook on my desktop computer for my main calendar.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
was just a suggestion as an alternative to using week view. I have never needed week view so i am unsure as to why it is even needed. can you explain? as I am a curious bloke. btw i also use outlook as my work calender and I use Ical at home.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have both Agendus and PocketInformant. I'm admittedly biased towards Agendus. The two are running pretty much neck-a-neck at the moment as far as features, although PI has gotten ahead as far as sync options and Agendus got icons in first.

Here's a screenshot of the week view in Agendus if that helps.

photo1.PNG

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
was just a suggestion as an alternative to using week view. I have never needed week view so i am unsure as to why it is even needed. can you explain? as I am a curious bloke. btw i also use outlook as my work calender and I use Ical at home.

Maybe not "needed" but since starting out with a Palm Pilot PDA I have always used the week view to manage my calendar. I like going forward in time in one week chunks to view appointmants and plan. So it is a preference in how I organize myself and my time.

In fact, pre-palm, when I used a paper "diary" I used to buy the DayTimers product in the week on a page version. So this really goes back more than 20 years for me. Tough to teach an old dog new tricks!

dougef2

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I have both Agendus and PocketInformant. I'm admittedly biased towards Agendus. The two are running pretty much neck-a-neck at the moment as far as features, although PI has gotten ahead as far as sync options and Agendus got icons in first.

Here's a screenshot of the week view in Agendus if that helps.
Thanks. I like the look of the week view on Agendus, though PI seems like it packs a bit more info into each day. Are you running them on IOS 4? I seem to remember some comments about one of the programs not working well on the iPhone4.

It appears that Agendus requires that I use Google Calendar as an intermediate step to sync. I think PI has a means of directly syncing with Outlook. Is that correct?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Correct and correct. We're currently waiting for Apple to approve an update that Iambic submitted to fix some of the iOS4 issues. The issue is with changing the date/time of an existing appointment.

Correct that PI syncs to Outlook (via iTunes, I assume). I don't use Outlook and was thrilled when Agendus 2 came out and would sync to Google.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I am coming from devices where I had a week view for my calendar. This is missing on the iPhone. It seems that Agendus and PocketInformant both have this feature (as well as a lot of other features which I may or may not want or use). Has anyone tried either or both of these and can provide some advice. FWIW, I use Outlook on my desktop computer for my main calendar.
I have always wondered why Apple went so half-assed with the calendar. It is as if they though it was a secondary feature no one actually used. Like so many other apps, why not have a week view when you tip the phone on its side?

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
LOL I love the calendar app I use it constantly. I may not be as hardcore of a user and this is the first calendar I've used all the time.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
Well hey, it works. And I do like the fact that I can sync many calendars simultaneously and with Google in more than one way. My wife and I share our calendars it has been a big improvement in our ability to keep keep schedules straight. Such a simple thing goes such a long way to harmony. :0

I find the built in calendar navigation to be confusing. Apple does a swipe right/left in so many apps yet the calendar you can not swipe right/left to get to the next day in day view. You have to tap the arrows. It's so inconsistent with the iPhone app navigation. And the month view is nearly useless because you can only see two events per day until you scroll. Why show such big squares with nothing in them but a dot?

Anyway, it works, I admit that. I'm not complaining. I never thought of trying Agendus or PI but now I might.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If calendaring is important to you, I highly recommend looking at one or both (buying both is still cheaper than buying one for any other platform!). The iPhone calendar is abysmal, and I don't understand why. At least with them opening up the calendar API in iOS4, we may get some of the functionality we've thus far been denied.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2