Bought AppleCare at AT&T store - can I return it?

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
So I got the iPhone 4 on AT&T's release day (16GB because they had sold out of the 32GB). I never get extended insurance plans but the sales guy gave me the typical sales pitch, and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because I bought it ($70). I've never bought AppleCare before so I'm not even familiar with how it all works. He said that I activate it through the iTunes app. At the store, he appeared to scan two different barcodes off of the AppleCare box. So my questions:

1) In scanning it at the store, did he activate it in some way?

2) I have yet to activate this through iTunes. Can I return the AppleCare box for a refund at the AT&T store?

3) I've heard talk about AT&T having their own insurance. Why would the AT&T store push AppleCare instead of their own insurance?

4) If AT&T won't take it back, can I resell it to someone else?

5) Do you think I should just keep it and activate it? I suspect there won't be a consensus on this one.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So I got the iPhone 4 on AT&T's release day (16GB because they had sold out of the 32GB). I never get extended insurance plans but the sales guy gave me the typical sales pitch, and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because I bought it ($70). I've never bought AppleCare before so I'm not even familiar with how it all works. He said that I activate it through the iTunes app. At the store, he appeared to scan two different barcodes off of the AppleCare box. So my questions:

1) In scanning it at the store, did he activate it in some way?

2) I have yet to activate this through iTunes. Can I return the AppleCare box for a refund at the AT&T store?

3) I've heard talk about AT&T having their own insurance. Why would the AT&T store try to sell me on this vs their own insurance?

4) If AT&T won't take it back, can I resell it to someone else?

5) Do you think I should just keep it and activate it? I suspect there won't be a consensus on this one.

Apple care just extends complete replacement warranty coverage for 2 years instead of 1, ATT insurance is to cover a lost or stolen phone, AppleCare won't cover that

I'm sure it was sold right, and if you bought it, it's clearly probably worth it, i don't buy it because if Apple comes out with another iPhone upgrade next year I'll be getting it as well and selling my iPhone 4

deeddawg

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd find some way to return it. Way too easy to buy Applecare at a discount if you search the web.

As mentioned, it's not insurance, it's a warranty extension from one year to two years. I believe it also extends phone support (i.e. where you can call someone at Apple for help) from 90 days to two years.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
i purchased applecare for two years for $80 2 years ago on my iphone 3gs, thought it registered automatically but found out a few weeks ago i was wrong and was never registered.. but i got to use it for my new iPhone4! so now this phones all up to date.. random but figured id share.