Bought AppleCare at AT&T store - can I return it?

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
So I got the iPhone 4 on AT&T's release day (16GB because they had sold out of the 32GB). I never get extended insurance plans but the sales guy gave me the typical sales pitch, and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because I bought it ($70). I've never bought AppleCare before so I'm not even familiar with how it all works. He said that I activate it through the iTunes app. At the store, he appeared to scan two different barcodes off of the AppleCare box. So my questions:

1) In scanning it at the store, did he activate it in some way?

2) I have yet to activate this through iTunes. Can I return the AppleCare box for a refund at the AT&T store?

3) I've heard talk about AT&T having their own insurance. Why would the AT&T store push AppleCare instead of their own insurance?

4) If AT&T won't take it back, can I resell it to someone else?

5) Do you think I should just keep it and activate it? I suspect there won't be a consensus on this one.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So I got the iPhone 4 on AT&T's release day (16GB because they had sold out of the 32GB). I never get extended insurance plans but the sales guy gave me the typical sales pitch, and I guess I wasn't thinking clearly because I bought it ($70). I've never bought AppleCare before so I'm not even familiar with how it all works. He said that I activate it through the iTunes app. At the store, he appeared to scan two different barcodes off of the AppleCare box. So my questions:

1) In scanning it at the store, did he activate it in some way?

2) I have yet to activate this through iTunes. Can I return the AppleCare box for a refund at the AT&T store?

3) I've heard talk about AT&T having their own insurance. Why would the AT&T store try to sell me on this vs their own insurance?

4) If AT&T won't take it back, can I resell it to someone else?

5) Do you think I should just keep it and activate it? I suspect there won't be a consensus on this one.

Apple care just extends complete replacement warranty coverage for 2 years instead of 1, ATT insurance is to cover a lost or stolen phone, AppleCare won't cover that

I'm sure it was sold right, and if you bought it, it's clearly probably worth it, i don't buy it because if Apple comes out with another iPhone upgrade next year I'll be getting it as well and selling my iPhone 4

deeddawg

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd find some way to return it. Way too easy to buy Applecare at a discount if you search the web.

As mentioned, it's not insurance, it's a warranty extension from one year to two years. I believe it also extends phone support (i.e. where you can call someone at Apple for help) from 90 days to two years.

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
i purchased applecare for two years for $80 2 years ago on my iphone 3gs, thought it registered automatically but found out a few weeks ago i was wrong and was never registered.. but i got to use it for my new iPhone4! so now this phones all up to date.. random but figured id share.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2