More Efficient Multitasking???

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else feel there could be a slightly more efficient way to run multitasking on iOS4?

I feel like I am constantly double clicking the home button to close out my most recently used app(s) fully.
I feel like there should be an option to fully close out an app, such as holding down the home button rather than just clicking it.
I love multitasking but feel the constant need to double click and close out apps fully could be done better.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes. I don't feel like this is the best way to manage multitasking. However, the issue I have is with the apps that actually run in the background. I don't worry about those with saved state.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
1) Not all of the apps that appear in the App Switch dock are actually running in the background. Only a few types actually "RUN" in the background, the rest are fully closed already, they just have their state saved to internal memory (not ram). Removing icons from that dock, for the most part, does nothing.

2) As stated above, nearly all apps ARE fully closed out when you click the home button, or switch to another app. Pandora keeps playing music, but the majority of apps do not run in the background. As of right now, Tuner (a shoutcast player) is not set up for iOS4 background audio playback, and as such will FULLY CLOSE when you hit the home button. The icon remains in the app switch dock, but it is, in fact, NOT running or using any additional memory or processor time.

3) My answer is as redundant as your three points.

4) Please post examples of the specific apps that you have issues with that run in the background. Currently, the ONLY App that I have that does anything in the background is Pandora and maybe Navigon.

Last edited:

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
1) Not all of the apps that appear in the App Switch dock are actually running in the background. Only a few types actually "RUN" in the background, the rest are fully closed already, they just have their state saved to internal memory (not ram). Removing icons from that dock, for the most part, does nothing.

2) As stated above, nearly all apps ARE fully closed out when you click the home button, or switch to another app. Pandora keeps playing music, but the majority of apps do not run in the background.

3) My answer is as redundant as your three points.

Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I'm just OCD, but I like a clean dock when I'm not multitasking. Just gives me that peace of mind that I'm getting the best performance and battery life I can out of the phone.
As far as point #3, clearly your multitasking of typing and being witty at the same need some work. Lighten up.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
No we're all just tired of people obsessing about icons in the tray. THEY ARE NOT RUNNING JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE DOWN THERE. You don't have to close them manually. Get over it.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i dont mind the double clicking to open up another app to multitask but i dont want every app i open to be saved at the bottom multitask screen regardless if they are running or not. Double click should mean multitask and single click should simply mean that u want to close the app.

iFizzgig

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else seen examples of apps that keep running even if you close them in the app switching dock? I noticed that with the new loopt, even if you close it in the dock, it continues to share your locations.

- iFizz

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2