iPhone Now or Later?
Looking to purchase an iPhone and switch my service over to ATT. Itll be my first iOS experience so I want to get it right. Now, apple has been known to drop the prices shortly after the release and also fix up known issues with first gen of their devices. I am content with my current phone so waiting a month or two is not going to kill me. Would it be wise to just hold off until some of the kinks are worked out or just go for it?
- 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM #2
I've always been an early adopter myself and sometimes you go through some issues, but generally Apple fixes problems within a short period of time. Some have reported there may be an update coming this week to address many of the issues being reported.
I understand folks wanting to wait and many do that. They will wait 2 or 3 months and there is nothing wrong with doing that. I don't see the prices dropping on the iPhone, usually whatever pricing they come up with and announce is where it stays until the next time.
Not much help but me I went for it!
Thanks for the reply. I hope that apple does toss some fixes out there but the antenna thing could be a hardware issue and thats what I worry about. The other thing I am battling here is whether or not I should get the Evo. I have never had an android nor iOS device so I think that iOS looks a bit cooler to try as a first timer to either.
- 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM #4
The other thing I considered first and foremost was coverage and honestly AT&T won that battle in my particular area, so it just made sense to go with the iPhone 4.
I think the update will address the antenna issue, but I still think it will be necessary to have a case for optimum reception due to the hardware design. Most of us use cases anyway, so is that really a big deal? You have a device that is glass on front and back and you aren't going to protect it? I think common sense dictates that you should.
- 06-27-2010, 03:31 PM #5
I'm an early adopter and honestly, with Apple,
it's never an issue. The first time with the
price drops was due to the unsubsidized pricing
that Apple felt was too high. Now with the
discounted prices, it only gets lowered when
the new device gets released.
The antenna issue is a non-issue for me and
for my 3Gs that has had the issue after installing
iOS4, it has led me to believe that it's software
for me. Also, it usually has no bars of service
on my 3Gs, but never lose/drop the call or does
the quality suffer. They come in loud and clear.
Thanks guys for the responses.
I think what got me excited and pushed me over the edge was the fact they are releasing NetFlix. But it worries me that they capped the data limits and now they are releasing that. It seems like they foreseen this coming and want to squeeze out some extra cash. Atleast there is no real penalty for data overages.
- 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM #7iPhone Nanite
- 5 Posts
I'm waiting it out - partially because I don't get the full discount right now. I early adopted with the 3Gs, but that was pretty similar to the 3G so there wasn't much of a risk there. @danno1769 - I agree about the whole data limiting thing and the timing of the netflix rollout. It seems kinda fishy...
- 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM #8
I made the jump from the droid to my first iPhone 4. I am not usually an earlier adopted but I made the jump anyway. So far I have no complaints. I have not experienced the drop in calls or service like others do. My coverage has been as good as verizon. So I say go for it.
- 06-27-2010, 08:14 PM #9
I upgraded from a 3G to a 4 and I couldn't be happier.
On a side note.........today I experienced a malfunction in the proximity sensor. I kept putting calls on speaker phone with my face. But instead of running straight to the forum and crying about it or going an Apple store for an exchange, I decided to search around to see if anybody else was having the same problem. And if so, was there a solution. Lucky for me, there was a simple solution and all is fine.
- 06-27-2010, 09:25 PM #10
- 06-28-2010, 12:09 AM #11
- 06-28-2010, 07:03 AM #12
I think I'll wait two or three months until I get an iPhone 4. Probably I can only wait for a few weeks since I am really impatient and I am longing to check it out, always want to test new gadgets and devices. But what I've heard and read so far, it's worth waiting ...
- 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM #13
- 06-28-2010, 07:51 AM #14
I'm waiting patiently with my iPhone 2G until the AT&T contract ends this summer'ish. Once it does, I'm crossing my fingers for the T-Mobile iPhone 4 that should be out late Q4(2010) early Q1(2011).
I don't really want to buy another AT&T iPhone, jailbreak it, unlock it, and not even have 3G. The iPhone 4 is making it tempting, but not the crazy $1,000 they're going for on eBay tempting.