new iPhone user (need some help)

evolancer13#IM

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sup guys/girls,
I got iPhone 3g from my cousin (he upgraded to iPhone 4 which is amazing) but anyways I have some questions. He jailbroke it and everything so it would work (he had tmobile, and I have tmobile) and I wanted to know before i erase everything,
1) how can i delete his text messages and contacts that are on the iPhone?
2) should i just restore it?
3) syncing it to my itunes?

I have few more but i cant think of them at the moment but those are the more important/main ones.

Thanks

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
If it were me, I'd restore it and this will upgrade you to iOS4. Some have said it is much slower, but that has not been my experience with the 3G that we have at the office. I restored a couple of them and played around with them and they seem just fine. I think many that are having lagging or real slow issues is because they upgraded instead of restoring.

Restore it, make it your own by setting it up as a new iPhone for yourself with your own iTunes account.

evolancer13#IM

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If it were me, I'd restore it and this will upgrade you to iOS4. Some have said it is much slower, but that has not been my experience with the 3G that we have at the office. I restored a couple of them and played around with them and they seem just fine. I think many that are having lagging or real slow issues is because they upgraded instead of restoring.

Restore it, make it your own by setting it up as a new iPhone for yourself with your own iTunes account.

Okay, but since its jailbroken would the restore reverse that process? Also he said he had some setting for the use of internet (tmobile edge using internet on iphone) i assume that would be deleted, right?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, but since its jailbroken would the restore reverse that process? Also he said he had some setting for the use of internet (tmobile edge using internet on iphone) i assume that would be deleted, right?

Yes if you are planning to use it on T-Mobile and it is jailbroken and unlocked you don't want to restore. If you plan to use it on AT&T then I'd do a restore and it will remove any Jailbreaking stuff he has on there and make it work perfectly with AT&T.

evolancer13#IM

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes if you are planning to use it on T-Mobile and it is jailbroken and unlocked you don't want to restore. If you plan to use it on AT&T then I'd do a restore and it will remove any Jailbreaking stuff he has on there and make it work perfectly with AT&T.

I plan to use tmobile with it, so i shouldnt restore it then... okay then, so any way of removing his text/contacts (quicky) and replacing it with mine? Also, I still have the sync issue then.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I plan to use tmobile with it, so i shouldnt restore it then... okay then, so any way of removing his text/contacts (quicky) and replacing it with mine? Also, I still have the sync issue then.

DO NOT RESTORE! This will delete the jailbreak and you need that to use TMobile

Well the text and contacts can simply be deleted! You can also go to setting / store and click sign out which will remove his iTune info. Then you can log into yours. You should then be able to sync just fine.

To remove the message just go to Text: Edit and you'll see minuses on the left side. Click those and they will be deleted.

To Remove Recent Calls: Click on Phone/ Recent/ Clear

Contacts: Click on each one hit edit/delete, you also have the option of syncing it with your own exchange account or google gmail account if you have one. Also if he has a mail account on there if you delete it and his contacts are synced through it, it may automatically delete them all.

Hope this helps!

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If you restore the iPhone this will get rid of the jailbreak and the unlock and you will have to jailbreak and unlock the phone. I would recommend restoring it and then setting it up as a new phone and look at the jailbreaking section of the forum to get started with that... I am not familiar with an unlock with t-mobile so this is as much as I can help you except for actually jailbreaking tips... Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone!:)

evolancer13#IM

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT RESTORE! This will delete the jailbreak and you need that to use TMobile

Well the text and contacts can simply be deleted! You can also go to setting / store and click sign out which will remove his iTune info. Then you can log into yours. You should then be able to sync just fine.

To remove the message just go to Text: Edit and you'll see minuses on the left side. Click those and they will be deleted.

To Remove Recent Calls: Click on Phone/ Recent/ Clear

Contacts: Click on each one hit edit/delete, you also have the option of syncing it with your own exchange account or google gmail account if you have one. Also if he has a mail account on there if you delete it and his contacts are synced through it, it may automatically delete them all.

Hope this helps!

I did everything but when i connect my iphone to my computer and hit sync it added the contacts but his is still in there, and for example when i hit manually manage music and videos i get the erase and sync pop up

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I did everything but when i connect my iphone to my computer and hit sync it added the contacts but his is still in there, and for example when i hit manually manage music and videos i get the erase and sync pop up

You have to manually remove every contact.

evolancer13#IM

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay its been a long night, and dont ask how but i manged to brick my iphone then had to jailbreak 4.0 and unlock it. so everything is lost but eveything i wanted gone is gone too, apps are replaceable, but before i go anyone know how to enable internet with 3g for tmobile (i was reading some kind of tweak through cydia?)
but anyways thanks alot for your guys help!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods