Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default No audio on video recordings

the video looks good but the only sound is a hissing sound and the audio is very very low to the point where you can only hear it if you hold the phone directly to your ear. anyone else having this problem? suggestions?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Do you have a case that might cover the mic? would it matter if you have your headphones plugged in? and do you? hope someone else will chime in.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

Are you covering the mic with your hand? I noticed that I was unwittingly rubbing the mic with my finger in some videos. It's a natural spot for your finger to cover if you're shooting in landscape mode.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Newbie

i do have a case but it doesn't cover the mic. i tried with the case off as well with the same results. nothing is covering the mic and no luck with headphones in either. the voice recorder app works fine and i haven't had anyone i spoke on the phone with complain that they can't hear me. it seems to only be the video recording.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Something is up then. I did some video last night right at dusk of my dogs. The neighbor down the road was yelling for her son to come home and I could hear her plain as day. No hissing that I can detect, the video does have crickets chirping so maybe I am missing it. I did one early today here at the house, but again I hear no hissing. Sounds like you've got a mic issue.
    Last edited by OTACORB; 06-24-2010 at 07:21 PM.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

thanks for the info. after standing in line for 8 hours today the last thing i want to do is go back to the apple store tomorrow.......

Smile Restore

Can anyone think this is possibly a software problem which seems more likely than anything else right now! If you haven't yet then I would plug it into iTunes and press restore and then set it up as a new iPhone. I can see why you aren't happy and wanted to get some answers before going down to the apple store after waiting for 8 hours today. That is the best option I have for you right now.... Good Luck!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Doing a restore would certainly be worth a shot, but since he is also having problems being heard on phone calls too it is unlikely! But a good suggestion none the less! I'd try it!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OTACORB View Post
    Doing a restore would certainly be worth a shot, but since he is also having problems being heard on phone calls too it is unlikely! But a good suggestion none the less! I'd try it!
    Yeah the phone thing is weird but restoring is a good start none the less. If it can pick up fine on the recorder app I don't think it is a hardware problem and that it seems to be more of a software thing so if it was me I would restore it and then if it still doesn't work take it to the apple store. Good luck!!!!:o
    iPhone Nanite

Default same problem!!

Just used my iphone 4 for the first time..
    exact same prob.
    i'm not covering the mic.. I don't have a cover on it either..
    but when i take a vid, it's nothing but hiss! and actual recorded audio is barely audible!!

if anyone has a fix.. please post!! this is horrible after so much money and anticipation... not to mention a long hectic day trying to activate it.
    iPhone Nanite

I have the same issue. Facetime and Video recording doesnt work with the mic. When i make a phone call or use voice memos or apps like I am Tpain the mic works perfect.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: No audio on video recordings

Did you ever get an answer for that?

I've got a phone where the audio was great on the video for about 18 months. Then it stopped working.

The voice recorder still works well.

Thanks,
    EP
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: No audio on video recordings

take a look at this easiest way to fix it.