Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default The front glass problem (with photos)

As I stated in a previous thread, there seems to be a problem with the glass on the front of my iPhone - it doesn't appear...glued? stuck? pushed in? - all the way. Looking closely, you can see a gap between the metal frame and the top glass. When the lights are off (and the iPhone is on) you can actually see a small light shining through. I can even fit my finger nail a little bit between them.

I have attached some photos here. Anyone else have this problem?

Rene - you can be the one to break the news! TiPB exclusive!

Pictures were taken with a Zukio 35mm macro lens, for a nice, close view.

Note - the pictures are taking a long time. I am going to get lunch, will post photos when I get back.

Chris
    Please remember to like or thank posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

Twitter: @skeetobite | Google+: ChrisVitek | Game Center: DRSKEETO

Current Devices: iPad Air 128GB Wifi | iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T
    PDAs: Visor Deluxe | Visor Prism | Zire 72
    Phones: Treo 680 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3GS | iPhone4 | iPhone 4S | iPhone 5
    Tablets: iPad 1 64GB AT&T | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE

TiPb Fourm Staff

iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

This is the first I've heard about this particular issue.. hopefully after some use it fixes itself somehow
    Twitter = JHamilton24
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Okay, for some reason I am not able to upload the photos, so I am putting them on MobileMe instead. Here they are.

With these first three, you can see that there screen is pulling away a little metal.

With the lights off, you can see a little bit of light shining through between the glass and the metal.

Please remember to like or thank posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Just called Apple. I need to send it in for a repair. No phone (iPhone or any kind!) for 3 to 5 days.

Chris

iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That just sucks, they should overnight you a new one and then let you send back the bad one, I know they won't but they should. You have to figure they make these on a supper fast assembly line and mistakes are going to happen. Sorry for your problems.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Yeah, not much I can do. I am looking into the option of using my wife's new phone (since she isn't here yet), but I don't know if I need to activate it first or not.

Chris

iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Once again another reason I can sleep at night knowing these things will be worked out when they hit Canada.
    Giraffes are people too.
    Tip the scales... you know you want to.
    15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz / 512GB
    Game Center ID: Brenden
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistGirafe View Post
    Once again another reason I can sleep at night knowing these things will be worked out when they hit Canada.
    Well in all fairness something like this could happen at anytime. That is just a fault from production.

So even if you buy one 6 months from now this sort of issue could still happen.

cjvitek, I hope it doesn't take them too long to get you another phone. I guess it is possible this could be fixed, but it would seem they would more than likely just ship you another. Then again supplies are so short right now!
    iMore Pro

Call Apple back , tell them you will buy the AppleCare for $69.
    if you do that, they will send you a unit first and then you send yours back once you receive your new one.
    Its well worth the $69 to get a completely new unit than to get your crappy one fixed,,,, trust me on this one !
    iMore Intermediate

Tell your wife it's her phone that's messed up. And you keep her 4
    iPhone Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Behshad View Post
    if you do that, they will send you a unit first and then you send yours back once you receive your new one.
    Its well worth the $69 to get a completely new unit than to get your crappy one fixed,,,, trust me on this one !
    Good advise ...

Fresh1
    iPhone Beginner

LOL you love posting that little catch phrase everywhere in this forum. Aren't you tired of it yet!?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    19,907 Global Posts

The thing about that is... if it is a manufacturing
    issue, it's either going to delay it more (in order
    to fix the issue) or it is already to late in
    production.

Current Phones: iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry OS & WebOS
    iPhone Newbie

Yes, getting an Apple Care Extended Warranty is *always* a good investment w/ anything from Apple, esp. iPhones! Not saying they tend to go defective. But You get much easier service response w/ AC. But they wouldn't let you go to your local Apple Store and do a quick swap w/ another unit? I know there may be short supply, but you'd figure the Apple Stores would at least have extra ones for these kinda situations.

Another option you could try, although I'm not sure if it will work or not, is to just take your SIM card and put it into your wife's, if it's also an iPhone4. Or it may work w/ other iPhone versions, too, I don't know though. Worth a shot though, right?! Good luck!
    iPhone Newbie

Yes, getting an Apple Care Extended Warranty is *always* a good investment w/ anything from Apple, esp. iPhones! Not saying they tend to go defective. But you get much easier service response w/ AC. But they wouldn't let you go to your local Apple Store and do a quick swap w/ another unit? I know there may be short supply, but you'd figure the Apple Stores would at least have extra ones for these kinda situations.

Another option you could try, although I'm not sure if it will work or not, is to just take your SIM card and put it into your wife's, if it's also an iPhone4. Or it may work w/ other iPhone versions, too, I don't know though. Worth a shot though, right?! Good luck!
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jameslaz View Post
    That just sucks, they should overnight you a new one and then let you send back the bad one, I know they won't but they should. You have to figure they make these on a supper fast assembly line and mistakes are going to happen. Sorry for your problems.
    Yup, and if anyone heard the news about what was going on at the manufacturer's factory, Foxconn, it isn't far-fetched that something might crop up in the initial batches of the iPhone4, and the iPad for that matter. Hopefully, Apple is willing to get it resolved as quickly as possible.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts

I'd go to the Apple store and ask them for an exchange. I did that last year when I got my 3GS. They usually will still have stock on the second day. If its their fault, they should exchange it right away.

A buddy of mine had a chip in his front glass (shipped to home) and they exchanged it for him today in store without having to wait.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    I'd go to the Apple store and ask them for an exchange. I did that last year when I got my 3GS. They usually will still have stock on the second day. If its their fault, they should exchange it right away.

A buddy of mine had a chip in his front glass (shipped to home) and they exchanged it for him today in store without having to wait.
    Yup, one of the best things about Apple is their unparalleled customer service!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Do all of them have it? Maybe a first batch bug?
    iPhone Nanite

No problems here *fingers crossed*
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

It was obvious from the moment I got it. I could press on the upper left glass, and I would feel it move a little bit. It does appear to be an isolated incident (which will happen when you are producing millions of these) - so much for TiPB breaking the news about a new defect hitting a lot of phones!

For people saying "go to an Apple store" - not all of us live in proximity to one. The closest one to me is about 4 hours.

Also, I looked on the website, and I didn't see anything about Apple Care automatically shipping you a replacement first. In fact, it looks like Apple care simply extended the same warranty I have right now.

Chris

iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cjvitek View Post
    It was obvious from the moment I got it. I could press on the upper left glass, and I would feel it move a little bit. It does appear to be an isolated incident (which will happen when you are producing millions of these) - so much for TiPB breaking the news about a new defect hitting a lot of phones!

For people saying "go to an Apple store" - not all of us live in proximity to one. The closest one to me is about 4 hours.

Also, I looked on the website, and I didn't see anything about Apple Care automatically shipping you a replacement first. In fact, it looks like Apple care simply extended the same warranty I have right now.

Chris
    Well, sorry, I forgot to mention, as I assumed everyone knew already, but yes Apple Care is just an extended warranty. As this happened out of the box, it most definitely is covered under the standard limited warranty.

If there's no Apple Stores near you, I'd just return it to wherever you purchased it (Best Buy, AT&T Store, etc.) and get it replaced there. I guess the final option would be doing it directly through web/phone support.
  23. Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

I ordered through the Apple pre-order/delivery.

I had thought since you were saying that AppleCare sends you a replacement first, there was something that would indicate this. Is this just a general policy, or something specific that only AppleCare does?

Chris
    Last edited by cjvitek; 06-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.