iPhone 4 Restore from Backup or Clean?

BPGator37

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I currently have a 3G iphone running 4.0. Just go my iPhone4. I was wondering is there any benefit to starting fresh and not restoring my new iPhone4 from my backup? Is there any performance degradation when restoring from a backup vs running fresh from a restore?

I use Google Sync for Calendar, Contacts, Mail.

If I were to start fresh I would have to manually transfer over any photos, Apps, Movies from itunes to the new phone.

Appreciate your feedback! :D

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Everytime I've gotten the new iPhone I have restored from backup. My phones have all worked very well

If you do a restore from back up now and you notice performance issues you can always do a clean install later

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I did it as a new iPhone and just let it sync all my stuff while I was doing other things. My backup is from a JB 3G. Didnt want to risk ANYTHING!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My opinion new OS, do a clean install and start off as a new phone. This has proven over time to be the best route to take and also the most problem free. Yes it takes longer, but it isn't like you change OS's every week.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Depends

If the 3G wasn't working well before the iOS 4 update (because a lot of users report it is lagging and i can say it is too...) then I would start fresh and act like it's a new phone... However if it worked well before the iOS 4 update then restore from the backup... The reason I say before the iOS update is because iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G seems to be going very slow so you should base it on 3.1.3 (or 3.1.2 if jailbroken). Good Luck with your new iPhone 4! :):):):):cool:

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
I was in the exact same postion as you TC. I upgraded from an Iphone 3G to an Iphone 4 today. I just did a restore and used the back up from my old 3G running OS 4.0. So far it has been running fine. But for the record if I want to do a clean install how would I go about doing it if I already did a restore for my new iphone 4?

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I was in the exact same postion as you TC. I upgraded from an Iphone 3G to an Iphone 4 today. I just did a restore and used the back up from my old 3G running OS 4.0. So far it has been running fine. But for the record if I want to do a clean install how would I go about doing it if I already did a restore for my new iphone 4?
You can still make it like a new iPhone. All you have to do is restore and then when it gets the option to restore from a backup then you can just say set up as a new iPhone and then it will do a clean install. Hope you like your new iPhone 4. :cool::cool::)

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
How would you go about getting your contacts into your phone if you were going to do a clean install?

Well you can select to have your contacts synced with your mac. All you need to do is select the option in info in iTunes and then when you clean install everything make sure that option is checked and everything should just sync over and that should restore your contacts but make sure they have synced.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well you can select to have your contacts synced with your mac. All you need to do is select the option in info in iTunes and then when you clean install everything make sure that option is checked and everything should just sync over and that should restore your contacts but make sure they have synced.
What if I'm not tech savvy enough to have a mac, and I have a little ole' sony vaio?

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
That's fine you dont have a mac. You can do the same thing with your sony. Just go into iTunes select the iPhone and then info and select sync contacts. It might ask where to sync them I haven't tried but it will save them and then when you restore just select sync contacts after selecting set up as a new iPhone and during that sync it should sync everything over except messages. Make sure all pictures are transferred over though along with apps and music!

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Your welcome that's what the forums for!!! Good luck with your new iPhone!!!!:):):):)
I found this site via twitter on the day of the WWDC, easily the most informative site I've been on. Everyone has been so great. I've learned a few new tweaks today. Just when you thought you knew everything... haha.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I found this site via twitter on the day of the WWDC, easily the most informative site I've been on. Everyone has been so great. I've learned a few new tweaks today. Just when you thought you knew everything... haha.

Yeah I have known about the site about 6 months but only joined the forum yesterday because I like helping people with tech problems. It is a great site for information and the forum helps a lot when you have questions and because you can get a lot of different answers and fixes. Hope your iPhone works just they way you sent it and you don't have any problems!

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Outside of the antenna issues, It's a peach. I was literally freaking out past few days since i upgraded to iOS4 on my 3G, battery was atrocious and all those issues. I don't know how I didn't throw it into a wall. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know others were having the same problems.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Outside of the antenna issues, It's a peach. I was literally freaking out past few days since i upgraded to iOS4 on my 3G, battery was atrocious and all those issues. I don't know how I didn't throw it into a wall. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know others were having the same problems.

Yes my old 3G and my friends 3G have had slow problems. Right now I am in a battery war with my 3GS but I hope I will be able to get an iPhone 4.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2