iPhone 4 FIASCO!!!

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So here's my story:

Ordered ONE iPhone 4, as an additional line for my girlfriend, on the 15th through AT&T's website (as in, I only got to the order confirmation page once).
However, AT&T submitted THREE orders for me. I spoke with them over the phone about a dozen times in the last week, and no one could cancel the extra orders for me. I received two of the phones yesterday and decided to give the first extra to my mom.
After playing with the iPhone 4 all night I decided I was willing to fork over the $399 for an early upgrade and get myself one.

So here's where my question comes in; The third iPhone is due to be delivered today as yet another additional line on my account. Do you guys think there is any way I could bring this iPhone to AT&T and have them set it up as my upgrade? Obviously I'd be willing to pay the $200 I owe (to go from $199 new line to $399 early upgrade pricing)???
It just seems foolish to me to have to send this third phone back to AT&T and then wait until more iPhone 4's are available to upgrade mine.
If anything I'm making AT&T's life easier by finding a way to make use of the two extra phones they ordered me.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So here's my story:

Ordered ONE iPhone 4, as an additional line for my girlfriend, on the 15th through AT&T's website (as in, I only got to the order confirmation page once).
However, AT&T submitted THREE orders for me. I spoke with them over the phone about a dozen times in the last week, and no one could cancel the extra orders for me. I received two of the phones yesterday and decided to give the first extra to my mom.
After playing with the iPhone 4 all night I decided I was willing to fork over the $399 for an early upgrade and get myself one.

So here's where my question comes in; The third iPhone is due to be delivered today as yet another additional line on my account. Do you guys think there is any way I could bring this iPhone to AT&T and have them set it up as my upgrade? Obviously I'd be willing to pay the $200 I owe (to go from $199 new line to $399 early upgrade pricing)???
It just seems foolish to me to have to send this third phone back to AT&T and then wait until more iPhone 4's are available to upgrade mine.
If anything I'm making AT&T's life easier by finding a way to make use of the two extra phones they ordered me.

You have to cancel the line that was created for that iphone. Which entails an Early Termination Fee (AT&T are bastards and probably won't waive it even though its their fault). The only way to avoid the ETF is to return the phone. But if you think about it, you won't have to buy a phone nor sign a contract if you pay the ETF and use it on your line. Things to think about

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be sending this extra phone back right away, and hoping I can find an elusive iPhone left over in Best Buy or Radio Shack later today.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be sending this extra phone back right away, and hoping I can find an elusive iPhone left over in Best Buy or Radio Shack later today.

All I am saying is eBay my friend. Any money you make off that will be way more than the ETF. Problem solved, you make someone else happy, and you get enough dough to cancel the line.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
All I am saying is eBay my friend. Any money you make off that will be way more than the ETF. Problem solved, you make someone else happy, and you get enough dough to cancel the line.

^^^^^ SUPER GOOD IDEA. Didn't think of that. Definitely would cover that. EVen if you sell it for cheaper. Most iphone 4's are over 1,000 bucks. Undercut them by 300 bucks, ETF's paid and you got extra cash in your wallet

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure even though it's an upgrade you have the 30 day period. and you won't have to pay an ETF. You'll just have to pay what usage (if any) on the phone line.

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
In a perfect world I'd jump all over that Ebay idea. However, in the past every time I've tried to sell something through Ebay I've run into scammers. I never fell for it, but my auctions were always closed in the last seconds due to "suspicious bidding" from scammers. I just don't have the patience to deal with that.

I'm going to head over to AT&T tonight with the unopened iPhone and see what they can do for me. I don't see why they couldn't cancel that additional line (as it's well within 30 days and an unused phone, so I wouldn't owe anything). They could then sell it to me at the full early upgrade price of $399 plus tax and refund me my original $199 plus tax additional line charge.

It seems beyond foolish to me to return an unopened iPhone, wait for my refund, and wait for a new phone to arrive.

MattDionis

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to some awesome employees at my local AT&T store my "iPhone 4 FIASCO" is over, well almost. I went to the store last evening and explained my situation. They immediately cancelled my extra line free of charge, took the phone in as a return and credited me back the $199 plus tax for it. They stated that the phone would have to reamin there for 24 hours otherwise the computer would flag it as them potentially selling a "used" phone. So I'm going to get a call today, go in and pick up the same phone, now as an early upgrade for my primary line. They also said they would try to lower the $399 price for me due to all this hassle (also probably as a thanks for bringing two new AT&T subscribers their way).
As bad as customer service was over the phone, these employees made up for it!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
+1 for customer service

That's great, I just had a friend here in Canada looking to buy one on ebay and get it shipped. I was just about to tell you if it didn't work out I have a buyer for you without going through ebay lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73