Customizable Dictionary & File Syncing?

Biopsidy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Two of the things that were in the beta code were a customizable dictionary and file syncing for OS4 for the iPhone, but I'm not seeing either of these on a 3GS or in iTunes respectively. Were these two things scrapped entirely or have they quietly become iPhone 4-only features?

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
One of the things that was in the beta code was a customizable dictionary and file syncing for OS4 for the iPhone, but I'm not seeing either of these on a 3GS. Were these two things scrapped entirely or have they quietly become iPhone 4-only features?

What specifically do you mean by "file syncing"? do you mean the ability, like the iPad, to be able to have Apps with a local file storage, and copy files to and from the app via the devices "Applications" tab in iTunes? If so, it should be there, but only for apps that support it. I have AirSharing and iCab, and both support File Sharing.

hbcbob573

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I think Biosidy is talking about this...

(put the http in front of this...i have less than 10 posts) grab.by/54r7

I would also love to know what happened to it?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Editable dictionary is there actually. File sharing in what capacity?

FYI: it's settings > keyboard > edit use dictionary.

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Custom dictionary only available when you add a international keyboard, so just add any other keyboard and the custom dictionary will be there.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I tried an actual other language keyboard. (English = English.) Still nada.

Last edited:

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
People think that it is a way to add words to the auto-correction or spelling dictionary but after doing some research its not, i found this explanation in another forum:
the user dictionary is designed to help people writing Japanese or Chinese. It allows users to pre-set which Chinese characters appear when they type a phonetic version of a word. It's commonly used for names of places and people and is a standard feature of most character based input systems.

Entering words in here will neither add them to the auto-correct dictionary, stop them from being underlined in red or enable any Text Expander like features.*

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I have Japanese kana keyboard, and the emoji keyboard. I've had the editable dictionary since I got 4.0, both in GM and release.

pendragyn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
People think that it is a way to add words to the auto-correction or spelling dictionary but after doing some research its not, i found this explanation in another forum:
the user dictionary is designed to help people writing Japanese or Chinese. It allows users to pre-set which Chinese characters appear when they type a phonetic version of a word. It's commonly used for names of places and people and is a standard feature of most character based input systems.

Entering words in here will neither add them to the auto-correct dictionary, stop them from being underlined in red or enable any Text Expander like features.*

Well, that just sucks. Come on Steve, how about a customizable dictionary in a truer sense of the word?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Yup... Japanese afforded me the custom dictionary
option. As soon as I deleted it, it was gone.

cwaturner

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the dictionary with additional keyboards activated. I was able to go in and add words to it by clicking the + sign in the upper right corner, the next time I went to ad another word all were gone and now there is no way to add any more, it's just a blank screen.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox