iOS4 Mail PDF attachment inline

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
iOS4 Mail Can't open PDF attachment?

I'm having this strange issue that I can't tell it's a feature or what. All my PDF attachments in Mail are now displayed inline in the message, showing the first page only. I can't open them. It's almost like it's treating the pdf as an image.

Any idea what's going on, or how to get back to the previous 3.x attachment buttons?

Last edited:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
My PDF's are showing inline as well. They do that on my iPad too. That's okay except if I decide to send the file to Documents to Go so I can save it to my Dropbox.

EDIT: After posting this, I double-checked and my PDF's are showing as they should. I'm wondering if installing iBooks made a difference? I can now open the PDF in DocToGo or iBooks.

Last edited:

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I tried re-installing iBooks, didn't work. I just noticed if I press and hold on the inline page 1 of the PDF, it popup shows 'Save Image' and copy. It's like mail got confused thinks the PDF is an image. And yes, i checked the attachments are really PDFs. I'm going to do a restore and if it fixes it.

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Restore seems to have fixed the problem. From what I read in other forums, looks like the problem has to do with some 3rd party apps not registering correctly as compatible viewer for file formats.

kabe#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem and a restore didn't help me.
So please someone.
What other forums did you find information about this?

Ben428

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Restore didn't help for me either. (I'm on a 2G iPod Touch.) Hoping that someone else will post other possible solutions to this thread.

webdude

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
solution

the solution is mentioned here (and it worked for my case if you follow the steps as mentioned - like you have to delete stanza via itunes etc):

discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2470587&start=15&tstart=0

quoting the link:
1) Connecting my iPhone to iTunes
2) Removing Stanza in iTunes and do a Sync (thus removing Stanza from my iPhone)
3) Restarting my iPhone (see note below)

Now i can open PDF files in emails, and also in QuickOffice (which was also impossible before removing Stanza)

Note:
Most of you know, but restarting is:
Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and Home button simultaneously for a least 10 seconds (ignore the slider) but release both the buttons when the Apple Logo appears on the black background. Now wait for the iPhone to restart.

Ben428

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The method above worked for me. I also removed Air Sharing, which has been reported as causing problems elsewhere. After completing the rest of the steps, I downloaded Air Sharing again and it continued to work.

One note: I had to delete the apps from iTunes, not simply uncheck them as some have reported as working elsewhere.

One odd thing, which is probably related but not a big deal: in the "Open in" dialog for a PDF in Mail, the iBooks logo is appearing on the Air Sharing button, and previously the Air Sharing logo was appearing on the iBooks button.

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Also, I think I should note that when I finish the restore, I set it up as a new iPhone, not restore from backup. Doing so from backup will just put the device back to its original state before the restore.

Manu#IM

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi all;

I have deleted from iTunes Stanza and GoodReader but still cannot see full PDF attachments in mail (only the 1st page as an image) and cannot export to iBooks.

Anybody figured out a fix?

Thanks!

Rob_N

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi all;

I have deleted from iTunes Stanza and GoodReader but still cannot see full PDF attachments in mail (only the 1st page as an image) and cannot export to iBooks.

Anybody figured out a fix?

Thanks!
Doesn't work for me either

It did however work on the ipad

JpNugent

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem on my wife's iPhone, but not on mine. I even called Apple on it, they told me to restore her phone (a long process as we all know). I asked the Apple tech about iDisk, he didn't think it would make any difference....but it does....it fixed the problem.

I loaded iDisk on her phone...selected a PDF...sent to iBooks

Then I emailed her a PDF to test it......and it did NOT download the first page as before. It allowed me to do send it to iBooks or view it, not download it as an image.

I also had to repeat the process on her iPad.

All is good in the world of Apple again...atleast for us

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR