Iphone info for dummies/beginners

GeorgeD

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I know many of these questions have been asked somewhere but I was hoping to have sort of a clearinghouse for anyone who might be clueless about all this. Thursday (hopefully) I will be getting my first iphone. That's the goal at least and I will wait in line to do it. The phone I have is about 10 years old so I don't have the faintest clue about smartphones. Do people typically buy an extra battery or is that even possible? What are the must-have accessories that you can't live without. Any tips for an iphone would be much appreciated. Do I need the Apple Protection Plan? Thanks!

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, the apple protection plan really doesn't help at all. It only covers minor software issues, and last year when my 3G had internal memory failure they refused to replace it. I had to buy another at full price from AT&T.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't have any opinions on protection plans because I didn't buy one with my iPhone 3G. However if I were to write a Dummies Guide to iOS and the iPhone, it would be about one page and read something like this:

1. Open box.
2. Turn on phone.
3. Enjoy.

It really is a simple device. And this is coming from a person who jumped from a Motorola Razr to an iPhone 3G.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, the apple protection plan really doesn't help at all. It only covers minor software issues, and last year when my 3G had internal memory failure they refused to replace it. I had to buy another at full price from AT&T.

They refused to replace it?? WHAT? That's nuts.

It doesn't only cover software, I've gotten FIVE replacements, all of which have been for hardware issues. They must've determined (possibly inaccurately) that your drive failure was caused by impact of some sort.

I've gotten it replaced for:

Sleep/wake button slightly pressed in more on the left side from day one, only visually irritating but caused no functional problems.
"Stretchmarks" on my white iPhone 3G, again only visual irritation.
Somewhat unresponsive center of screen occasionally on my iPhone 3G.
Audio port not working on my 3GS.
SIM slot for replacement iPhone 3GS wouldn't take my card.

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They refused to replace it?? WHAT? That's nuts.

It doesn't only cover software, I've gotten FIVE replacements, all of which have been for hardware issues. They must've determined (possibly inaccurately) that your drive failure was caused by impact of some sort.

I've gotten it replaced for:

Sleep/wake button slightly pressed in more on the left side from day one, only visually irritating but caused no functional problems.
"Stretchmarks" on my white iPhone 3G, again only visual irritation.
Somewhat unresponsive center of screen occasionally on my iPhone 3G.
Audio port not working on my 3GS.
SIM slot for replacement iPhone 3GS wouldn't take my card.

Yeah, the Apple Store genius refused to replace it! The problem was apparently too much for the coverage. They wound up blaming it on AT&T (somehow), and dismissed me to the AT&T store across the mall. The AT&T store wasn't much help, but instead offered me a new 3G at $400. I have no idea how they came up with that figure, but I took it and left.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Well. The biggest thing about the iPhone is it's simplicity. It is so simple. Yet so powerfull. I would say skip the protection for now. I have never dropped my phone and it is very well built. You should be fine.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I know many of these questions have been asked somewhere but I was hoping to have sort of a clearinghouse for anyone who might be clueless about all this. Thursday (hopefully) I will be getting my first iphone. That's the goal at least and I will wait in line to do it. The phone I have is about 10 years old so I don't have the faintest clue about smartphones. Do people typically buy an extra battery or is that even possible? What are the must-have accessories that you can't live without. Any tips for an iphone would be much appreciated. Do I need the Apple Protection Plan? Thanks!

Don't bother with Apple Care, just take care of your iPhone like you would a child and you will be fine.

You can NOT replace the battery on the iPhone so that is one thing that you will not have to buy.

As for accessories I would recommend a case of some kind, and a Bluetooth headset. Thats really about it.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Welcome young padawan. Don't be afraid to get lost in the phone. To shut off the phone, hold the lock button for 6 seconds. To quit a frozen app, hold the lock button for 6 seconds until you get the swipe to turn off screen. Then hold the home button for a few seconds and it will quit the app.

As for accessories, just get the dock. 30 bucks. Such a ripoff.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen