Official switching from Android to iPhone 4 thread

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Switching from Android (G1, Hero, Nexus One, Droid, Incredible, Evo 4G, etc.) to iPhone 4? Need help? Have advice to share?

Then this is your thread. Of course, you can just sync your Google-stuff and you're more than halfway home, but you might need a web app for Google Voice, or a different service like Line2, you might need another cheap (or full on premium) navigation solution. You might need help choosing from all the awesome 3G games (kidding)!

We're going to post an article up on the front page later in the week and we'll be linking back here so let's get going and ease that switcher pain, shall we?

What do you know, and what do you need help with?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from a Nexus One back to an iPhone 4. As Rene has said, the best thing to do is make sure that you have your contacts, email, and calendars set up to sync with Google. This makes for a painless transition. As soon as you set up your Google account on the iPhone, all of your information will come right back onto the phone.

My second tip is for getting music and videos off. You can use a desktop app like DoubleTwist to take the music you may have downloaded from Amazon MP3 and send it straight into iTunes.

For photos, just mount your device to your computer and iPhoto will ask if you want to import the photos. Then when setting up your iPhone, just tick the 'sync photos with iPhoto' button in the iTunes window and you'll be good to go.

Hope this helps anyone else who is making the switch. :)

bconley007

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I am switching from a droid to the iPhone4. I had at-t when they were cingular. I think it was 1997 when I got my first cell phone. I hope I am not making a mistake. I have been wanting an iPhone for a while and did not feel like waiting for a verizon iPhone, if that ever happens. But I made the jump and hopefully my iPhone will be on it's way soon.

keynatl

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from a Hero to the WHITE iPhone 4 (if and when it ever comes out lol) but I was wondering does the iPhone have anyway to sync your contacts with Facebook yet?

resplendent2209

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I am on ATT and the Best android device I could get was Nexus one but I had a terrible experience with it.

Ordered the first Nexus one on 7th June. Had WiFi sleep issue and The phone wasn't switching to Mobile data when screen goes off so HTC sent me a replacement and the replacement solved my Wifi issue but couldn't solve the latter issue of mobile data so I decided to stick to the original in the hope of Froyo fixing it. I sent the replacement back to HTC the same day.

I then came to knew that I have a 14 day buyer remorse period where in I can return the device and get refund so I decided to do that. I reported in many forums about these issues but No one from Google confirmed this. I decided to order a second Nexus one as I had a feeling that I was unlucky to have a faulty device in first place and to my surprise the second Nexus one also had the same issues and I had to return the secone nexus to HTC. I have spent many hours over the phone speaking to google tech and HTC and I couldn't get the firm answer as to where the fault is - Hardware or Software?

Whatever be the case. I love the Android OS but it is Immature. I ordered an Iphone 4 today and shall get it in between July 15 and July 19. Iphone 4 also has pros and cons but it seems to me a more finished product than Android. Plus prior to Android experience, I have been a Loyal Nokia user since 2003. N95, N97 and N900 all having front cameras for video calls so I was kinda addicted to this feature and Iphone 4 has that.

I hope no one else experience such a terrible Android experience. For the next two years I'll be a Iphone 4 user and I hope I won't regret this switch over as on paper Iphone 4 seems to be the ideal device for me.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
resplendent2209,

I hope you report back here if you have any issues with your iPhone 4. I'd be curious to hear about your experience with it since you've come from a wide background of cellphones.

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I just made a baby step into the world of iPhone. I'm on T-Mobile so anything I buy iPhone is going to be used or EXPENSIVE. I just bought an iPhone 2G (Which should be arriving this afternoon). Right now I have the Nexus One, don't get me wrong, Android is rad and all (built in tethering, micro sd cards, etc.), but the Apps for the most part are TERRIBLE. I got an iPad the other month and fell in love. Made me actually go in my closet and whip out my old "STRAWBERRY" iMac. :) Which is currently running both Mac OS 9 and 10.1 WOOT.

Anyways, APPLE, I'm coming home.

focus791

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on ATT for the first time, coming from Verizon on a Droid. I have to say there are things I really miss about my Droid, even if they are small things (i.e. customizable message alerts, having a comma/period button(s) on the alphabet texting page, gmail email). But over all the phone is smooth and very nice to look at. I've only had my iphone4 for about three hours thus far, so I'm not quite sure about the ATT signal strength. I went out to eat tonight with both phones, and while in the restaurant, my Verizon had three or four bars and my iphone had none and wouldn't dial out. Hopefully, this is not a typical experience or I'll be forced to switch back. I'm still learning though, so I've got to find replacements for all of my Droid apps (i.e. to read excel docs, games, etc). So far, I'm pleased though...

jcdaniels

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm a typical "Blackberry to Android" convert who is now hoping to make the jump to iPhone.
I've been a huge mac fan for years (longer than the iPhone's been out) who's just refused to join the AT&T masses. I had them before and didn't have too many problems, but my wife otoh hates them. It's taken me 4 iPhones to convince her to make the move.
I hope to have my hands on an iPhone in the next 2 months. We'll see!

My main thoughts about Android are as follows....
While it is a nice OS , it's hard to enjoy using it when you're stuck on 1.5 software. Unless you break contract and buy a new phone every 2 months, you're stuck with outdated phones. Apps are starting to not come out on anything less than those phones running 2.X!
Seriously? My phone is only 6 months old and it's already 3-4 OS' behind, at least with an iPhone you have a full 12 months before it's out-dated!

bconley007

May 9, 2010
Visit site
i jumped from the droid....so far i miss some things like the led indicator and programmable text alerts...but overall i am satisfied with my iphone 4

uhanrodric

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Had my iPhone (1st Gen) for two days now. I will pause so you can laugh at me.... :)

I got the 1st Gen, because it made more sense, it's cheaper, I'm on T-Mobile, so I'm not getting 3G on it anyway, it just made more sense.

Anyway, I love love love it. Although, for the first few hours, I kept hitting the "Home" button thinking it was a menu or back button. This is due to being on Android proir to iPhone (Just switched from Nexus One). Still confused on using Cydia though, but that I will ask questions about in the appropriate thread.

I agree with the above post though, I kind of miss some sort of blinking message/alert light. At first I thought I was going to hate not having a Micro SD slot, but then I realized, I only needed that because the Nexus One's internal storange was only about 500MB. With the iPhone I'm downloading away from the App Store without a problem. I mean I went through the phase of having MP3's on my phone, but I never really listened to them, same with videos, the only video's I would watch were online ones. Nexus One may be a powerhouse spec wise in comparison to the iPhone 1st Gen, but it doesn't even have a TV out option...I love the emluators, I love using a Wii-Mote to play them, I just wish the Nexus One had a Video Out. Now that I am on the iPhone and it does have video out, I look forward to playing with that function.

If anyone has any N00B iPhone advice on things to check out or tinker with, throw it my way! :)

Last edited:

khetan

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Importing your SMS threads

Hi.

I was wondering if there was an application / method to convert your Android messages and import them into the iPhone ? I see plenty going the other way, ironically :confused:

Any solutions ?

jiden77

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

I was wondering if there was an application / method to convert your Android messages and import them into the iPhone ? I see plenty going the other way, ironically :confused:

Any solutions ?

No methods that I have found. I just went from a Tmobile MyTouch 3g to the 3GS on sale at my local ATT store. I decided to just start fresh...I did, however, find an app for my old MT3G that allowed me to back up my SMS messages to my GMAIL account...try searching for "SMS Backup" in the Android market.

Love my new 3GS!!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods