Official switching from BlackBerry to iPhone 4 thread

nulldog

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
ok so i broke the display on the storm and i am patiently waiting to order an iphone4. is there anyway, with a broken screen that is black, to move my address book to the iphone when i finally get one? thanks for any help.

There was a free "Back UP" app from SB44.
If you had it on your phone, you can use a pc to access the backup files using Notepad.

wkr08

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
butterfly77 - how you liking the iphone so far? I'm on a bold 9000 right now & thinking of changing to the iphone myself. Just curious as to which one you prefer.

ebedoun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I owned the Bold 9000, then the 9700, now the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 blows both top of the line Blackberries I've had away.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been a BlackBerry user for years - the 8700, 8800, 8310, 9000 and 9700... and I used to make fun of the iPhone fan boys... but now I am one! Seriously, my daughter and son-in-law switched from BB to iPhone last year... and after seeing their phones in day-to-day use, coupled with my fondness for the iPod Touch, I decided to make the jump to the iPhone4. I was lucky enough to get mine reserved for pickup yesterday, and have been loving it since.

The browser situation on the BlackBerry was horrid... and I love the browser experience on my iPhone 4.

I transferred all of my calendar and contact information from Outlook (still haven't made the switch from Windows PC to Mac) without any problems... and am now good to go. I have been spending money and time in the App Store trying to find iPhone equivalents for some of my favorite BB apps.

I thought the lack of a keyboard would be a major issue, but so far, it's less of a problem that I expected. The biggest issue is when I grab my old 9700 (which is now my wife's primary phone) to do something, I am swiping my finger across the screen and getting no results! :)

The only real issues that I have are:

1. Battery life... after only 7 hours today, I am at about 53% battery... this will never make it all day. That was one thing that I could count on with all of my BlackBerry phones... after all, what good is a really cool phone if the battery is dead?
  2. As someone else has already said, the notification system is far inferior to the BlackBerry. I use my phone as a work pager, and there is no way to set a notification tone for text messages for a single sender - it's all or nothing... I need an annoying and loud tone for the pager, especially at night, so I don't miss a page... but then I get the same loud, annoying tone when my wife or one of the kids texts me...

In many ways, Apple is so far ahead of the game... and in others, they are sorely lacking.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe there is a way to move SMS to and from either device.

if you can find a corporate store that has the cellbrite machine, (its the one that plugs in both phones ans transfers contacts and stuff) those are capable of xfering over sms. However I'm not sure if its device specific on the machine. I have one at my job and i've definately done it for customers but have never paid attention if it works with two different devices.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I was a crackberry addict before my iPhone and I paid $150 to disconnect my service with sprint and port my number over to At&T and I don't regret it just one bit!!! I don't have any problems with service really ( lucky me! ) and I ABSOLUTELY love my iPhone! My first was an all white 32gb 3GS and I got the iPhone 4 on launch!! I was trying to hold out for the white one but another month and half would have driven me crazy!!!!! I'm glad I didn't wait I mean the color is sweet but I get to use the iPhone now and take advantage of the sweet new display and upgraded camera!!!! I try to bring people over to the iPhone ALL the time, which now my efforts will be 2x's as hard now so I can face time EVERYONE I know!!!1

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a Blackberry since the 7290. I went from that to the 8700 to the Bold 9000. I am still wavering but I think I am going with the iPhone 4 next. I will also check out the new BB 9800 but I love my wife's 3GS enough to make the switch. My biggest gripe is the notifications on the iPhone for business reasons.

RaeRaeE62#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
i just ordered my iphone 4 two days ago and it should arrive in a few weeks : )

ive had a red blackberry curve 8310 for 2 years now and the thing i will most the most is the keyboard for sure....the apps and internet however are really lagging on the curve which is ultimately why i have decided to switch and with the iphone 4 just coming out, it seems like the perfect timing!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i just ordered my iphone 4 two days ago and it should arrive in a few weeks : )

ive had a red blackberry curve 8310 for 2 years now and the thing i will most the most is the keyboard for sure....the apps and internet however are really lagging on the curve which is ultimately why i have decided to switch and with the iphone 4 just coming out, it seems like the perfect timing!

It's a strange thing about the apps... There certainly are more apps for the iPhone, but I have noticed that there aren't necessarily "equivalent" apps between the two platforms... It seems like the apps on the BB are more specific and the same or similar app on the iPhone doesn't do the same things or work the same way... I am finding apps for most things, but it's taking a while to find "just the right" app in some cases.

butterfly77

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
butterfly77 - how you liking the iphone so far? I'm on a bold 9000 right now & thinking of changing to the iphone myself. Just curious as to which one you prefer.

I am really surprised by how quickly I can type compared to my blackberry I am definitely glad I found this site to help me learn about my new iPhone I used crackberry.com alot. I think I missed the little red light to let me know about new email or FB or Twitter things. I am also used to pulling the battery when something is not working. The only concern I have is how quickly the battery is drained!!!!! but I am very happy with my choice!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am really surprised by how quickly I can type compared to my blackberry I am definitely glad I found this site to help me learn about my new iPhone I used crackberry.com alot. I think I missed the little red light to let me know about new email or FB or Twitter things. I am also used to pulling the battery when something is not working. The only concern I have is how quickly the battery is drained!!!!! but I am very happy with my choice!

Word up! Typing is easier that I thought it would be... and there are a lot of apps that are similar but different from those on the BlackBerry... but after as I approach my 3rd day with the iPhone, I have to say, I am hooked... just need a better battery... (I know, it's better than the 3G or 3GS, but it's NO BlackBerry)...

I found an app to address my notifications for work pager issue, so I am quite happy now.

pkang

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
typing is wayyyy easier and faster but i miss my bbm and more than that the blackberry tones...i wish i could jb my ip4 so i can get my bb sounds back fr email and sms

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It there a customizable auto correct feature? With the BB, I could edit the list and create custom shortcuts - to auto correct itz to it's; r to are; etc... does that exist on the iPhone? I haven't seen anything like that.

xgentz

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Why I am switching

I will be making the switch to the iphone4 after for the following reasons:

1. The camera
Bold: 2.0 MP
iPhone 4: 5.0 MP

2. Memory
Bold: 1 GB
iPhone4: 16 GB or 32 GB

I can only install about 5 apps on my blackberry before it slows down and tells me I need to delete apps.

3. Browser
I cannot stand how RIM has failed to develop a competent and nice web browser.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The browser is probably the biggest driving force for me to switch. I have tried Opera Mini and Bolt on my Bold but none of them are very good at rendering web pages.

JJJMan

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hello all! new to the forums. I'll be moving from a Verizon BB storm 1 over to the iphone 4 in october when my contract finally expires. unless by some weird miracle verizon does a policy change and I can "opt out" and not have to pay my ETL fee.

dont get me wrong i've been very satisfied with my Blackberry, but like many of you, I feel that Apple is headed in the direction of the future, where as RIM is staying stagnant, not offering what I am going to want down the road at all.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner