Poll: How to Protect iPhone 4: Apple Care, Square Trade, AT&T????

Type of Protection for Your iPhone 4

• Apple Care

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Square Trade

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • AT&T Insurance

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • A Combination of Above

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other Option

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No protection... I'll just be super careful

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

understando

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I know that I will want to be getting some type of protection for my new iPhone... Just not sure which option to go with. What are you guys thinking? I almost think, and this might be overkill, but going with Apple Care and Square Trade as well. Apple Care for phone stuff and Square Trade just in case of water damage or screen cracks or what not. (also I haven't checked pricing on both of these, so that might be a major deterrent on doing both)

Thoughts?

thebrain2u

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
AppleCare is pretty good, an extension of the superb warranty that already comes with the phone. And the price is much more reasonable than Square Trade or AT&T.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
AppleCare.

I have it on my iPhone 3G.
I had a problem with it after the original year warranty. But since I had the extended year, walked into an Apple store, and was out with a replacement phone in 15 minutes.

BigJamoke

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
When you all say that it is covered on your home insurance, how does that work? Do you have to specifically add it to your homeowners Ins? Is there a deductible?

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
When you all say that it is covered on your home insurance, how does that work? Do you have to specifically add it to your homeowners Ins? Is there a deductible?

I've always added my high end electronic to my renters insurance and it's an option in my policy which can differ. If I damage my device, I file a claim and my deductible for electronics is 50 bucks. You can call your agent to get more info on your policy though. My annual policy is less than 15 bucks a month btw.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about Applecare or Square Trade, but I'll be adding it to my renter's insurance at State Farm for $26 per year.

+1, if it breaks they cut me a check for the full price; not the discount price.

Everyone saying Applecare should realize Applecare is not insurance. It just extends your standard 1 year warranty too 3 years. If you damage they will not cover it, they will sell you a new one.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't need to be filing claims with my home insurance over small amount electronics. I'm sure it sounds like a good deal and all but way too weary to screw with it. It'd have to be totally separate from home.

In my experience, i've never needed to use insurance for any phone in the first year. If i do, i'll let apple repair it or buy a new one. These have a one year life with me. Buy apple care only if you plan on keeping it an extra year.

Insurance on these things is usually a waste of money. There's a reason they try to sell it to you.

arcurlyq

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
In my experience, i've never needed to use insurance for any phone in the first year. If i do, i'll let apple repair it or buy a new one. These have a one year life with me. Buy apple care only if you plan on keeping it an extra year.

Insurance on these things is usually a waste of money. There's a reason they try to sell it to you.

I have always wondered about that. As far as I know, my homeowners insurance policy does cover things like computers and cell phones, but I'm not sure I would file a claim if I lost or broke my phone. I am generally really careful with my iphone, but am worried about theft (I live in the DC area and ride the Metro regularly, where iPhones and iPods are stolen at an alarming rate). So, if Squaretrade doesn't cover me for theft, then it's probably not worth it. I think this go around, I'm just going to squirrel a little extra money away in an iPhone rainy-day fund. Then, if the inevitable happen, I can hopefully just walk into an AT&T or Apple store and buy a new phone outright.

A big concern I have with insurance is the time it would take to "replace" my phone (i.e., having to send it in somewhere to get fixed and then having to file claims and wait). If something happens to my iPhone, it needs to replaced same day. Period. I can't wait around for it to be sent away and looked at. Rather, I have to have it replaced immediately because my iPhone is an integral part of my job. Sooo....I'd probably just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket for a replacement.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
iPhone 4 Out-of-Warranty Service
16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB & 16GB $199
Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

Taken from Apple's website. My sister decided to take her iphone 4 for a swim. She's 199.00 lighter for her effort. Got phone replaced same day at apple store.

fresh1

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Anyone use Safeware insurance ?? They cover theft also ..

Here is thier comparsion chart of them, Squaretrade and Moble protect( its for iphone 4 also)

hpchartlarge.jpg

They said that they offer a $400 insurance plan ( for 16 gb iphone4).. The deductable is $50 .. So if you break your phone ( or have it stolen ) they will pay you $350 ( $400 minus your $50 dectiable).. They told me this was based on the price AT&T would sell you a new iphone 4 (16 gb) .. I called att to confirm and they said they would sell you a i4 16gb for $400 .. They offer a early upgrade fee to customers .. They take $100 off the retail price for a early upgrade..

So if somthing happens to your iphone you send it in and they send you a check for $350 so you can go buy a new iphone .. They dont repair them like Squaretrade... A policy where i live would cost $80 a year ( so it is a little more than Squaretade , but it covers theft )...

Anyone here ever used them or have any feedback on them ??

Link to info for iphone 4 insurance ..
iPhone insurance for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 from Safeware Insurance Agency, Inc.

Fresh1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711