iPhone 4 Bumpers

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
When I finally dropped my phone, which I knew was going to eventually happen, I was glad that I put a bumper on it. It saved the metal band from any kind of damage.

That just means you have 2 more times to drop it before the screen cracks with the bumper according to ifixit.com. LOL

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a green and a black one. They look good and protect enough- my friend dropped mine and nothing happened to my phone or bumper-not even a scuff.

Also someone mentioned they don't protect the back, but they do. They offer a nice "lay on the table" design which prevents it from being scuffed up on the back.

It's not an Otterbox people!

And those of you complaining about price...do you know who makes the bumper? Yes, Apple.
Have they ever been an inexpensive solution? No- but they are the best at combining style and function.

The end lol

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Also someone mentioned they don't protect the back, but they do. They offer a nice "lay on the table" design which prevents it from being scuffed up on the back.

No- but they are the best at combining style and function.

They protect the back if you laying it down on a desk or counter, but if you stick in your pocket and forget that is the same pocket you've got your keys in then what protection does it give to the back of your phone? If it came with screen protectors to add to the front and back I would see it, but it does not.

Style, these things round out the nice square design of the phone so in my book they reduce the style of the phone.

It is good that you feel comfortable with it, but I think there are many of us that just don't and also feel the price for a bumper around the sides, with no screen protectors is way over priced, regardless if it is Apple or not.

But hey, we all have our own opinions!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I hear iPhone bumpers only one thing comes to mind. We got ripped off, they should be free. Mine is nice protects well, but Apple made this knowing they had to fix something and if they did nothing else they should eat the $.10 worth of plastic, rubber & meetal it costs to make these.

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
I have a black bumper. It's alright. I am concerned about the back of the phone though. I think I am going to check out the Griffin Reveal cases. Thanks for the mention, BrandonB.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I have a black bumper. It's alright. I am concerned about the back of the phone though. I think I am going to check out the Griffin Reveal cases. Thanks for the mention, BrandonB.

I would wait on the Reveal case because it has issues with the camera flash..

My white bumper should be coming Thursday.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Do not put your phone in your pocket with keys and stuff. That's just stupid. Any damage that would result is purely your own fault.

The bumper adds a nice style to the phone. It rounds out the edges nicely for a more comfortable feel in my hand. I can tell a lot of thought went into the design of this rubber band.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Do not put your phone in your pocket with keys and stuff. That's just stupid. Any damage that would result is purely your own fault.

It's pretty sad you have to spell it out for them but you're right. My iPhone goes into a pocket all by itself.

Also, I absolutely hate Griffin products. I bought a case to protect the back of my 3G and all it did was scratch it all to hell. I won't make that same mistake again with my 4.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a green and a black one. They look good and protect enough- my friend dropped mine and nothing happened to my phone or bumper-not even a scuff.

Love you "lay on the table" comment, it's the exact reason I got the bumper. It gives that slight difference in height so the back won't scuff. Personally I only use my bumper when going out or being outside for the day, if I am home or not as active, bumper = off

sirgrove

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
i bought cause with that on and my zagg covers on the font and back my phone is indestructible. With the band on u cant see the edges of the zagg cover too, i like that

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

It's pretty sad you have to spell it out for them but you're right. My iPhone goes into a pocket all by itself.

Hold on... You two make it sound like life is just about the iPhone. It is a phone guys. Some of us get busy in our daily lives and then you realize that you stuck your keys in your other pocket which you normally never do and whoops your phone is in there. I always keep my phone separate from my keys, but I have found occasional that the two ended up in the same pocket though I would never purposely do it. This is why I think if you are going to use the bumper then you should at least have a screen protector.

Things like this happen and of course it would be your own fault that goes without saying. But the bumper by itself is a disaster just waiting to happen in my life, everyone is different. I do not want to have to think about this, I want to live my life and have the iPhone be part of it, not the center of it. So if my keys end up in the same pocket it really not that big of a deal unless I don't have a screen protector on it then I am screwed.

Last edited:

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So go ahead, make your choices and continue to pay attention to the results of these choices. For me I have chosen to use the apple bumper as my sole means of protection of the iPhone. I know without a doubt that I will not be placing my phone in my pocket with anything that could harm it, because I "look before I leap". For those that don't, it is indeed a wise choice to pick a bomb proof case.*

Agreed and that one time when your human side comes out and you accidentally just by chance forget and stick those keys in the same pocket. You too will pay the price for not having a screen protector on the front and back, rather than just a bumper. I can say I don't plan on it happening, but I am human, we are just not programmed to be able to say it won't EVER happen.

Just like your son, you'd think he would without a doubt never leave that phone on his bed and you know what he probably won't, but then again he might, why? Because he is human!

You remind me of my sister, which I dearly love. Back last year when she got her 3GS, I was telling her about cases and screen protectors. She said I am not spending my money on that crap. She said I am very careful and I paid to much for this thing to be careless. Well low and behold about 6 months ago while pumping gas she received a call from her office. Instead of just waiting, she went ahead and answered the phone because she was expecting an urgent call. It was not her urgent call, so she got off the phone quickly, finished pumping her gas and drove off. About a mile down the road, she remember she had set her phone on the top of her car as she was putting the gas cap on. In just that one moment all that bragging about how she was always so careful with her phone went right out the door. Because in that moment her humanity came out and she acted like we do sometimes.

All that advice your parents gave you was good, same advice I got and the same advice I gave. None the less we all have to learn the lesson of hard knocks and so it is and so it will be.... :)

Here is to hoping you don't ever forget and the bumper works out to be everything you hope it is, otherwise you just might learn another lesson of hard knocks. LOL I will go the extra step with a better case and screen protector because I can't count on myself being so programmed as to say I won't ever do it. Thanks for the discussion!

Last edited:

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Griffin case. I like it for now. Going to get a screen protector when I'm out next. I'm waiting on an Otterbox for when I'm not at home. At home, its not wearing anything!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Somehow I feel as if this is no longer about how cool the bumper case is and this is not the place for this. I apologize to everyone forced to read through this.

And thank you for the discussion too OTACORB

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Isn't there some type of warranty issue with the ivisasheild? I thought I had heard something about that. In any case I'll not be putting screen protectors on my phone. I tried them with the first gen iPhone and while they work, I did not like having my screen covered. Once I removed the screen protector it was like night and day. Fir me the screen looks much better naked.

tredstone

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Gotta agree with otacorb. Doesnt matter if you treat the i4 like a $700 phone or a $15,000 phone... in the end its not a trinket but meant to be used as a phone, and accidents can happen in that sort of daily use.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73