Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Smile Can't Decide! 16g or 32g!? Ahhhh!

This will be my 1st iPhone purchase, iPhone 4g! I just can't decide if I should fork over the extra hundred and get the 32g. I don't plan on having to much music, but I do plan on taking pics, recording in HD, and getting many apps. I feel like I could just put the pics on the internet and do the same with the videos, to have more room. I just don't exactly know how much stuff I can jam into my iPhone . . .

And actually after writing this I feel that a 16g will be sufficent enough, but what are your thoughts?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

The HD video is gonna take up a decent amount of space. So if you're gonna be recording a lot of video 32 might be better. I have a 16 3GS and I've got about 4 gigs left on it now, but I only have about 50 of 240 apps installed. LOL
    iPhone Beginner

Im going with the 16GB. I have the 32GB 3Gs and I never use anymore than maybe 10GB at any given time. So I will downgrade I suppose.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WcHorse View Post
    Im going with the 16GB. I have the 32GB 3Gs and I never use anymore than maybe 10GB at any given time. So I will downgrade I suppose.
    I'm sticking with 16. I have so many podcasts I can take off my phone for extra space if I need to.
    iPhone Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by msm0511 View Post
    I'm sticking with 16. I have so many podcasts I can take off my phone for extra space if I need to.
    Yeah I usually only really put music and a few apps on my phone and its really a small workout/on the road type playlist so I should be good.
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

I know I'd be fine with 16, but I might go with 32 so I can have 5 or 6 hours worth of HD video stored on my device along with my 8 or so GB of music and apps.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

Yea I'll go for the 16g, that will be plenty for me. I'm sure HD recording will be compressed nicely, same goes with the photos.
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryville View Post
    Yea I'll go for the 16g, that will be plenty for me. I'm sure HD recording will be compressed nicely, same goes with the photos.
    Yes but there is only so far compression can go. I'm going to assume it's very similar to the Flip's compression rate which would end up being 4GB per hour.
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,621 Global Posts

I'm getting the 32GB, might as well go all out so I don't have to have second thoughts later
    iMore Expert

I'm going for the 16GB. Ive managed just fine with my 8GB iPhone 3G thus far and I got the 32GB iPad and my MacBook holds 320GB so any movies I make I can just move onto my MacBook.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

32gb for me. I like to carry a good bit of music...but more importantly, I like to carry some movies for me and the kids.

And apps are starting to take more and more space....especially if you have a navigation map like Navigon (which I recommend) or TomTom.....those weigh in at about 1-1.5gb. OUCH.
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

32 gig. I'm going all out. I'm going to be putting way more music and taking a lot more videos with this new iphone.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I'm still undecided...16gb will probly be enough but i'm not sure
    32GB wi-fi ipad
    16GB iPhone 4
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

After looking at my current usage and how I use the phone, I'm going with 16.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,603 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

I am debating 16 or 32 as well. I only have about 1.3 gigs left after syncing all apps, music, music videos, and photos. However I don't really use the camera, don't plan to do a lot of HD recording and probably could just remove the music videos when needed. My apps are also synced at my discretion. Any help guys?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Where I luck out is that I don't use my iPhone as an iPod or to watch movies, so I don't use that space. I've only used 4GB so far with apps, recorded videos and pictures, and even if I double the space of the pictures and videos it barely eclipses 1GB. I'm ok with 16
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~