new to iphone...
Hey all! I plan on pre-ordering the iPhone 4, this will be my first. I'm pretty excited, but have a few questions. First, I'm on a family plan, already have unlimited texts, just have to add data. I plan on getting the 15$ a month plan. (I'm cheap, and plan on using WiFi alot.) Which app's are the best for monitoring your data? Also how much stuff can I actually do with this plan, I know it's 200mb or whatever, but how much Pandora or average web surfing can I do with the cheapest data plan? Thats all I can think of for now, sure there will be more later. Thanks!
- 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM #2
There's an AT&T Wireless app in the app store, works quite well. I think there's even a text number you can send to that will reply with a text on usage but the app works for that. Enjoy your iPhone!
BTW on the data, I've had mine for 2.5 years and am within the $15/mo range as well as my usage is often on WiFi. I don't stream music, just check email, Google Maps here and there, websites, a few games that send info back and forth, etc.
- 06-12-2010, 01:29 PM #3
Your iPhone also tracks how much data was used. Just have to remember to reset it every month.
It'll also tell you the last date/time you reset it.
Settings>General>Usage...scroll down to the bottom.
I'd suggest doing the smaller data plan. Watch how much data you use each month...if you're getting close to exceeding 200mb, jump up to the 2gb for $10 extra bucks.
- 06-12-2010, 01:30 PM #4
- 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM #5
I'd suggest the opposite. This will be your first time with
the iPhone, so you'll probably use it a lot more. You pay
the extra $10 and see if you're anywhere near 200MB. I
always have wifi at home and use it, but with the iPhone,
that was the first time I started using more than 200MBs
Welcome to the iCrew!
- 06-12-2010, 02:46 PM #6
- 06-12-2010, 02:50 PM #8
- 06-12-2010, 02:51 PM #9
- 06-12-2010, 03:31 PM #11
Welcome to the iPhone. I think it was Jello that described it best in another thread as an " experience". I think that's the best way I've heard it described. It's an experience that's very addictive! I know that I'm personally very protective of my phone-it's not just a phone anymore.it contains SO much of my world on it.
- 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM #12
- 06-12-2010, 04:39 PM #14
I need help too
For the sake of not starting a new thread...
I won't only be new to the iphone, I'll be new to AT&T, and GSM. (I'm a long time Sprint/Palm customer.) And I could use some help.
So here's my scenario: I have my old Sprint number that I want to keep. My mom would also like to get an iphone. She gets a 25% discount from work, and we are going to get a family plan.
I was thinking minimum minutes, 2gb of data and 1500 texts for me, 200mb and 200 texts for her. Which, if I did my math right, comes out to $90 a month after her discount.
1) She doesn't know how her work discount works, and I've never had to deal with that, so is that something we have to deal with as we're setting up the 2-year contract? (Do we have to bring information to the store/know certain information for the website as we pre-order?) Or do we go through the normal contract process and then deal with the work discount after?
2) Will I be able to go through an easy online pre-order process if I want to keep my old number? Or will we have to go to a store in person because of this?
3) If we have to go to a store... does that mean we'll have to wait in line before the stores open, cause they'll all be sold out? Or should we be ok just going there when it's more convenient? (It would be no problem if it was just me, but having to coordinate the two of us might be trickier.)
Any help is appreciated.
4) Edit: Where is the best place to get the mini (micro? I forget what it's called, but that I can look up easily) sim card that we need?
- 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM #15
email@example.com), she can always set this up online after the account is set up.
2) Yes, you'll be able to do it online, but honestly, it's best to go into store IMO. If there are any hiccups, they should be able to fix it in store.
3) If you go into the store on June 15 to start the process. You'll be able to pre order. When you pre-order, the your device is reserved and you get first dibs when you go into the store on release day (June 24th).
4) The sim you'll need comes with the device. You will not have to worry about that.
- 06-13-2010, 12:08 AM #16
- 06-14-2011, 09:37 AM #17