Using Volume Buttons As Camera Shutter May Be Possible?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Exhibit A:
camera-portraits-20100607.jpg

You can see that the hand model actually has their finger over one of the volume buttons. I also tried using puppet warp to move the thumb to the soft shutter button, and guess what, there is no way that thumb is reaching there.

Do you think this means we'll finally be able to use one of the volume buttons as a shutter release? I think it's very likely because the rocker was much more convenient for just volume, but to have programmable or dual-purpose buttons, the rocker would be unacceptable for Apple.

ryanwmurray

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
multi-purpose volume buttons is an incredible idea. Not only for supposed camera shutter release, but also for song navigation for the iPod when the phone is in sleep mode.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
multi-purpose volume buttons is an incredible idea. Not only for supposed camera shutter release, but also for song navigation for the iPod when the phone is in sleep mode.

I don't think they would be used for song navigation, as they have + and - printed on them... I'd much rather have them used for volume in sleep mode, which they already are.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I think it would be a genius move to be able to use the volume as the shutter button.
But...I think Apple would have said something, or all of those people that got to do the hands on after the keynote would have noticed.
Or it'd be listed somewhere on their site.

I think if it's not there at the release, Apple will add it into the OS later on.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I think it would be a genius move to be able to use the volume as the shutter button.
But...I think Apple would have said something, or all of those people that got to do the hands on after the keynote would have noticed.
Or it'd be listed somewhere on their site.

I think if it's not there at the release, Apple will add it into the OS later on.

I don't think people got enough time to check it out, and I doubt they would've tried to do that. It's not what people were thinking of, they really only got to test out face time as they were all constantly calling eachother.

Also, Apple has been known to keep some features on the down low even though they are present. Once we get iPhone 4 shipped, I guarantee people will find a ton of new features they never talked about, and that weren't present in OS4 for 3GS.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Anything is better than hoping you hit the screen in the right place when taking a self-portrait or a self-portrait with friends. A programmable physical button would be great.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Anything is better than hoping you hit the screen in the right place when taking a self-portrait or a self-portrait with friends. A programmable physical button would be great.

Well considering there is now a front-facing camera you don't have to hope you hit the right place anymore, because you can see it :p

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
That was one of my big wishes. Although, my idea was to move the sleep button to the side and have it double as a shutter. I think they may be used for the zoom though.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
That was one of my big wishes. Although, my idea was to move the sleep button to the side and have it double as a shutter. I think they may be used for the zoom though.

It would make sense for zoom, because the + and - could also mean increase and decrease zoom... I'd rather have it be a hard shutter but I guess that is what jailbreak is for!

Having the sleep button as the shutter wouldn't work because Apple doesn't like inconsistent actions, and also because your finger would probably half-cover the lens when you press the button.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2