Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default iPhone Survival Story

I just got my wife an iPhone (3g 8gig). I bought the standard, nothing special, rubber case for it. I didn't have any iPhone screen protectors yet so I had put a generic screen protector on it left over from a previous phone.
    Crossing a busy highway to get to the coffee shop, her phone fell out of her purse into the road and oncoming traffic. She turned around just in time to see a car run it over going about 30 miles per hour. She ran over to get it much to her dismay almost completely unblemmished from the event!!!
    There are a few scratches where the screen protector doesn't cover but nothing more. In fact, she pulled the screen protector off to check and not a single scratch on it!!!!

Another reason Apple is worth the money and the iPhone rules the land...literally.
    iPhone Newbie

Cool. I think some luck was involved here, since I've heard breakage horror stories that wasn't nearly as violent as yours. But your preventative measures certainly helped.

I got my wife the same 3G. She carries it in an incase cover with a generic matte protector. After several drops, the phone is undamaged (fingers crossed for the future).

But for the price we pay for these things over feature phones, I'd expect that they deliver above-average durability.
    "I drank the Kool-Aid, and then ate the cup it came in."
    - 32GB iPhone 4 (Black)
    - BaseOneLabs Impactband
    - No jailbreaking (I'm a purist snob)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Groovy!!!i dropped my new 3gs 16g from about 4 ft up and with the otterbox defender, not a scratch! worth the 50 bucks!!!!
    Last edited by drpainams; 06-10-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

isn't it awesome when you actually get what you pay for?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Nanite

How about this..i just spilledhot coffee all over MY iPhone!!!!! i dont know if the planets are aligning today or what but this is bizare. Of Course, my phone is working fine. i'm 2 for 2.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,620 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Wow. Don't press your luck too often. I also bet that triggered the water sensors and you're out of luck on repairs.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by DustinAe View Post
    How about this..i just spilledhot coffee all over MY iPhone!!!!! i dont know if the planets are aligning today or what but this is bizare. Of Course, my phone is working fine. i'm 2 for 2.
    Holy Cow! That's the whole tempting fate thing. Since you've written about the durability, now the fates have it in for you!

Wait...I wrote about it too. Oh, man!
    "I drank the Kool-Aid, and then ate the cup it came in."
    - 32GB iPhone 4 (Black)
    - BaseOneLabs Impactband
    - No jailbreaking (I'm a purist snob)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Nanite

hopefully i will be getting the iP4 soon so if there is any water damage i will be able to deal with it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,251 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

U need to buy a lotto ticket bc it's ur lucky day