Oleophobic coating in the iPhone 4?

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Considering the huge fanfare that the oleophobic screen coating received at the launch of the iPhone 3GS, I haven't noted any references with regard to its use in the iPhone 4.

I wonder if Apple have dropped it - perhaps indicating that it was not such a success after all!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
When you say "gone now," what do you mean? Did the coating wear off, and now you get smudges? Is that common? This is the first that I've heard of such a possibility.

Yeah I don't think that is what happens at all. I had a hole in my oleophobic coating on my last 3GS unit and it was glaringly obvious. If it were wearing away you'd be able to see it.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
i dont think my 3GS has any left because the smudges dont come off with a lil swipe on my sweat shirt... its still on there.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
definitely appreciating the oleophobic coating! had a front screen protector on for a couple days... but just couldn't stand it anymore... the screen just got smudged something fierce just looking at it... so off it came, call it... a "moment of clarity" :D

left the rear protector on, since i care more about having the back protected from scratches (and i never lay my phone down face first) than smudging... but for the front, it had to go... MUCH better now!

but yeah, it's a risk too, since it WILL wear off after a while... had a 3GS for 6 months and by the end, the smudges were harder to clear off... but can't make use of it if it's covered up, so ...

i wonder if there are solutions out there - kind of like Rain X - for "re-treating" the screen, to make it oleophobic again... might not be as durable as the factory coating, but maybe there's something out there to use once the original coating wears off... ????