Any idea what is the speed of processor inside iPhone4?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Just go to YouTube and search iPhone 3GS vs Incredible and you'll see it's not even noticably slower in most cases, and the smooth transitions make it appear faster, because it gives the OS a natural progression, instead of apps just appearing or the browser just rotating with no transitions.

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
i am going to say the processor is going to be 1GHZ but if they downclock it i see it sitting ar round 800mhz which is faster than 3GS cause i believe the cortex A8 is clocked at 600 mhz for the 3gs if i am not mistaken. As for ram 512 would be nice but 256 is just right i would imagine.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Just go to YouTube and search iPhone 3GS vs Incredible and you'll see it's not even noticably slower in most cases, and the smooth transitions make it appear faster, because it gives the OS a natural progression, instead of apps just appearing or the browser just rotating with no transitions.

Has to be true... a know of a couple friends who left
their 3Gs and went to the EVO and still experience
lag on their EVO in which they never did on the iPhone.
Of course we can blame the 3rd party apps, but with
the 3rd party apps on the iPhone, this does not
happen.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of the actual clock speed of the A4 in iPhone 4, I suspect it will be noticeably faster than the 3GS ... I do believe if it were 1ghz they would have announced that, so I would wager that it is slower. But that's okay, still going to be amazing!

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
My guess is they have the A4 slightly underclocked, for an even greater battery savings.
They probably only noticed a slight performance increase at the full 1ghz, so they bumped it down a little.
The ONLY reason I say that, is because they clearly stated the 1ghz. A4 chip in the iPad.
With the iPhone, they only said the A4 chip was in it. If they stated that it was underclocked, a lot of people would be turned off regardless to the fact that it's still blazing fast.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
My guess is they have the A4 slightly underclocked, for an even greater battery savings.
They probably only noticed a slight performance increase at the full 1ghz, so they bumped it down a little.
The ONLY reason I say that, is because they clearly stated the 1ghz. A4 chip in the iPad.
With the iPhone, they only said the A4 chip was in it. If they stated that it was underclocked, a lot of people would be turned off regardless to the fact that it's still blazing fast.

Very good observation :)

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I guess 800mhz woldnt be bad.

I've been wondering, why put an 800mhz processor in the 3gs and then underclock it to run at 600mhz? Why not just put a 600mhz processor in the first place?

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I guess 800mhz woldnt be bad.

I've been wondering, why put an 800mhz processor in the 3gs and then underclock it to run at 600mhz? Why not just put a 600mhz processor in the first place?

cause they use the same chip in the ipod touches but they are not underclocked. they underclock the chip in the iphone to stretch battery life further.

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
According to MacRumors: ?We have since heard that the upcoming iPhone 4′s RAM has again been upgraded. This will bring it to a total of 512MB of RAM, twice as much as the 3GS and iPad. This number actually contradicts tear down photos of a prototype iPhone 4 that was leaked to the internet. An analysis of that prototype device showed it only carried 256MB of RAM. The 512MB figure, however, does agree with a Digitimes report from May 17th that confirmed a 960?640 screen resolution, thinner display, and indeed 512MB of RAM. We had heard that Apple confirmed this 512MB figure during one of the WWDC sessions last week, and have now verified this. The session it was revealed in is now available (Session 147, Advanced Performance Optimization on iPhone OS, pt 2) for registered Apple developers.? via [MacRumors]

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
This is for all the tech minded people out there. I found a link that talks about the A4. On page 3 is where they talk about the iPhone. Interestingly enough, the A4 is a modified Samsung Cortex A8 processor.

You can read more about it here.

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Ok so i've seen something pop up in verizons system comparing the iphone 4 with other phones. It shows the iphone as having a 1ghz processor. any confirmation on this? I'm not sure I always trust what shows up in our emails...

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
All this time i've been searching for an answer to this question and it's been right here on tipb.com/iphone-4 this whole time!

"iPhone 4 is Apple?s 4th generation handset and their biggest leap forward since the original iPhone in 2007. Set to begin its 88 country release on June 24, among its 100+ new features are a 960?64 Retina Display; a 5 megapixel, back illuminated camera with LED flash that shoots 720p 30fps video; a front-facing VGA camera; FaceTime video calling;

a 1GHz Apple A4;

802.11n Wi-Fi support; pentaband GSM/UTMS with HSDPA/HSUPA radio; gyroscope; and iOS 4 operating system."

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods