Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Question Is it possible to block texts and calls from a specific number?

I'm sure this thread has been posted before, but I'm hoping there's been some technology updates in the last couple of years. Does anyone know if AT&T allows you to block incoming texts and/or calls from a specific phone number? If so, how?

Thx!
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

No there is not. Possibly if you jailbreak but even then I'm not 100% sure.
    iPhone Beginner

yep, jailbreak then get iBlacklist, u can then choose to block calls and texts from any number and they even stay on record so u can check who has called. u can change the app picture to so it looks like an innocent app incase u use this to hide your bit on the side, lol
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    iPhone Intermediate

I believe AT&T has this child plan/service that allows you to block up to five numbers. There's a monthly fee I believe. I cant remember the details but you may want to check out ATT.com.
    iPhone Nanite

Blacklist is the only thing i heard of that can do the job
    iPhone Intermediate

AT&T does offer a service to block numbers, but it's something like $5 per month. It's in the parental controls.
    Twitter @redbirdsm
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,053 Global Posts

I called AT&T a few months back to have a number blocked from being received by my mom's phone and they didn't charge for it. I told them that someone she didn't know kept sending text messages and we needed them blocked and they did so.
    iPhone Guru

Global Posts
    1,631 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i also recommend iblacklist to block all the sms and calls u want... plus u can use SBSettings to hide the app instead of changing the app pic and leaving it on your springboard. The app with a cup of tea icon but named iblacklist still looks suspicious to me
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I can't recommend iBlacklist, since they don't respond to support questions anymore. I've emailed them a bunch of times, all without a peep of a response.

MCleaner seems to be a much more streamlined app to block/allow calls and text.

- no affiliation with product or company
    Check out my brand new game Rico: Mercenary for Hire on the App Store!
    for iPhone, and iPod touch, and iPad!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Dawkins Bull-Terrier View Post
    yep, jailbreak then get iBlacklist, u can then choose to block calls and texts from any number and they even stay on record so u can check who has called. u can change the app picture to so it looks like an innocent app incase u use this to hide your bit on the side, lol
    with iBlacklist, you still see a notification center notice for a split second if they text
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Hey there. Yes it is possible to do it without a jailbreak. First call the carrier and ask them if it is possible. Usually they have a blacklist of a few specific numbers they can block. If that doesn't work then most carriers have a "parental" mode which can do anything from track location to block certain calls at certain times etc.

This is a carrier based solution and most of it will have to be done on their website or with one of their representatives.

DO NOT buy a blacklist app from the apple App Store. They are all fake. The jailbreak ones work but support will be minimal.

What I do is this. Simply put I make the ringtone and the text tone silent.

And activate the texts from certain contacts to ring the phone. As we'll as calls. A little round about but it works for me.

Good luck to you