iPhone 4 External Antenna

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I noticed Steve made a specific point to show the external antenna schematic during the WWDC keynote. While he didn't come out and admit the 2G, 3G, and 3Gs are lousy at maintaining signal, could it be that this new antenna will solve some/alot of the AT&T service issues? It certainly can't hurt!

Otherwise, I'm just not sure why he would specifically mention this...

Thoughts?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
well, all i know is, IF there is an improvement with signal then the AT&T bashing threads will decrease...

and we cannot be having that

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
In my area I NEVER have a problem with signal strength....that is unless i'm driving thru the mountains.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the antenna placement will help the reception issues as much as people think it will. Hopefully I am wrong about the reception enhancements with the new antenna and it works great. My question is, how durable is it? People sometimes generate static electricity for some odd reason. If I generate it, and I do generate a lot for some reason, will it zap the antenna? What if it's raining and water gets in those seams? Idk, just a few questions that someone with more scientific knowledge than me can hopefully answer.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 3GS isn't inherently bad at receiving signal, AT ALL. I live in a freaking basement in a very condensed and congested area in the largest city in Canada. Yet, somehow I always have full bars and perfect 3G signal. It's about the network, not the phone. However, an antenna that is seemingly dozens of times larger than other phones could possibly help it. Also Steve says AT&T will get better in the coming months.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Att reception has always been just grand for me.
But I'm still curious how well this external antenna thing works.

Milo over at P|C wondered if like a regular antenna improves when we grab hold of it, will our holding this thing make us an extension of the antenna.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Comparing regular antennas to the iPhone 4 antenna isnt like comparing apples to apples. For one, the frequency radio and tv antennas operated on are not the same wifi , gps , and cellar networks operate on. Also the kind of material was different. Metal vs Stainless Steel. Then there's the kind of technology involved.

Also I'm sure the FCC had to have a careful look at how this might affect people because there were reasons why internal antennas are located at the bottom of phones vs at the top.

I think Steve mentioned this because he felt it was a technological advance for the iPhone. I honestly felt that Apple had no idea about cellphones when they came out with the iPhone and I dont blame them, it's their first time.

Last edited:

snakes2003g

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
my service here in salt lake is not too bad. but sometimes my signal either weakens or just drops all together. it doesn't happen too often but when it does it's highly annoying. i am hoping this new antenna approach works for the iphone 4.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the antenna placement will help the reception issues as much as people think it will. Hopefully I am wrong about the reception enhancements with the new antenna and it works great. My question is, how durable is it? People sometimes generate static electricity for some odd reason. If I generate it, and I do generate a lot for some reason, will it zap the antenna? What if it's raining and water gets in those seams? Idk, just a few questions that someone with more scientific knowledge than me can hopefully answer.

Glad I'm not the only one. I zap people all the time!

iPhone 3GS isn't inherently bad at receiving signal, AT ALL. I live in a freaking basement in a very condensed and congested area in the largest city in Canada. Yet, somehow I always have full bars and perfect 3G signal. It's about the network, not the phone. However, an antenna that is seemingly dozens of times larger than other phones could possibly help it. Also Steve says AT&T will get better in the coming months.

+1.
I've always had good reception in T.O. with Telus.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711