iphone virgin with data usage questions

bettypie

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First, my sincere apologies for asking what I'm sure are dumb and redundant questions. I've tried searching the forum but after two pages of search results haven't seen what I'm looking for. So, again, very sorry :)

Okay, so I understand that if I connect to a wifi network (like at my house, via my wireless router) I will be using my ISPs network to send and receive data, not my iphone's network and thus won't get charged usage by my carrier (right?).

But when checking cellular network usage, is the usage listed on my iphone really just cellular network usage? I've read online in a few places that some carriers lump it all together, making it impossible to tell if I'm near my data cap. Is there any way to know for sure?

I am in South Korea and my carrier is KT. My data plan is for 1 gig and I'm a little nervous because after less than a day, I'm already at 20 megs. I haven't even done very much (except for a long-ish Skype voice call- no video). But I've read a lot of data usage polls and most people seem to use less than 1 gig. Should I be worried?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
20MB is nothing to worry about in one day of use, especially since it's a new toy, you'll play with it less as time goes on.

The Usage thing really only shows you cell data usage, not WiFi usage. It's tested.

The thing is, sometimes when the WiFi signal is really weak, the phone switches to 3G to complete a task. But it's not often enough to make you go over on your data.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
You should be fine with 1GB. I have 6BGB in my plan and barely use more than 4GB, and I am a heavy user. IE tethering, always on it etc.