Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

12 Posts

Default help with data plan/ new iphone dilemma. (moving from rim w/att)

Ok. So I have been with AT&T since July 2009. Am available for an IPhone upgrade now which is good. Here is my problem though. In July I got the 3g... or 3gs don't remember, wasn't thrilled with it and returned it for my current Blackberry Bold. Anyway I went from the IPhone data plan to the Blackberry data plan. SO now with this new data plan deal from AT&T I am at a loss for what to do. I feel like I will need the unlimited plan as I will be streaming pandora in my car a lot, on top of the netflix app (when it comes out) as I will be traveling a lot next yr as well. All this on top of normal data use (with lots of emails with large attachments) I think a capped plan would kill me financially.

So, my options as I see them

1) Call AT&T June 6th and request to change my data plan back to IPhone data plan and just be dataless until the new IPhone comes out. (would they even do this for me? It would be a huge cripple of having no data for an extended period of time with my job, but if necessary I'll deal with it)

2) Just hope that all data plans from AT&T get grandfathered in and switching is no change there.

3) Buy a 2g IPhone from craigslist cheap and rock that until the new one comes out... (would rather not spend 70 bucks for a week of a fix)

4) Hopefully you guys have a better answer?
    iPhone Newbie

23 Posts

I wanna bump this for the sake of seeing what people have to say about the unlimited data plans being available for the iPhone before it comes out. I too am needing to have the unlimited plan for a line that doesn't currently have the iPhone. I'm hoping there's a way!
    iMore Intermediate

280 Posts
    Global Posts
    416 Global Posts

I am not 100 percent sure which way is best but I would probably do the craigslist 2G one if it was me. Seems the easiest and gets you set up with the iphone data plan. You don't want to take their word for it, and then find out that it isn't going to work. Unlimited is the way to go with iChat, streaming in the background, etc...
    iPhone Intermediate

303 Posts
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts

I would have to agree with buying the cheap phone now. I like to play it safe and have it in hand ( no chances) you can sell the old phone after. Maybe think of it as insurance payment.