Music On iPhone Disappeared

anon(4675100)

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok,

I've been away from my pc for a few days and I've been downloading podcasts on the fly, over wifi mainly.

Now, I just downloaded a podcast over 3G, whilst
listening to another podcast. During the download, the iPod stopped playing and when I went
back in to iPod, all my songs, music videos, tv shows, and the podcasts I synced over is gone. All the files that were downloaded post sync are still there (though the playcounts have been reset).

I've checked the about tab in settings and it says 0 songs etc BUT there is still only 1GB of free space on the iPhone so it is still on the iPhone.

I've restarted the device. I've tried
to search for the songs. It's all gone.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have 12 hours of travel ahead of me, and I don't have my laptop with me.

anon(4675100)

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey Alli,

Yes. I've powered off and on and I've also done a reset (power and home button) and it has not resolved the problem.

The data is still on the device, It just cannot be seen or used. It's never happened to me before.

anon(4675100)

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Neither have I.

These are screenshots I took on my train journey yesterday.

As you can see, there is only 1.3GB free yet there are 0 songs.
The one video was a video podcast I had downloaded direct to the device.

img0358.png

When I got home and connected the iPhone to the laptop, iTunes recognised the device without a problem, it even recognised that there was music and video files on it and after a quick sync, the music, audiobooks, etc were accessible again. They were not synced back over, they just reappeared.

It's never happened to me before. I just hope it never happens again!

Thanks Alli for all your help.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Since you got it all back once you connected to the computer something may have gotten corrupted on the iPhone that caused them to not appear in the playlist. Once you connected to the computer it was probably rebuilt and was OK once again. I'm just speculating here but glad you didn't lose any of it.

anon(4675100)

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
@Ipheuria - Thanks, yeah, there must have been some corruption to the iPod database. When it synced, all that happened was that it transferred the podcasts I had downloaded over to the laptop and it was fine. It's just really bizarre that even iTunes could see all the files on the device when I connected it but the device couldn't play them.

I hope it never happens again - next time I go on a long trip I'm taking the laptop, just in case. :eek:

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
That has happened to me. I think the podcast download corrupts something because that is exactly how my songs got "erased" too...

Ugluks

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here.

I left Denmark for Egypt and suddenly everything vanished. So I think it has something to do with travelling. And I know: connect to my computer, but I won't see my comp for more than two weeks... :-(

Also tried downloading a new podcast from itunes. After the download is finished it's gone as well....

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This happened to a lot of people when iOS 4 was first released...it comes down to having to reconnect it to iTunes, letting it sync (which only takes a few seconds since you're not changing anything), and then the music should reappear. I figured they'd fixed this issue, apparently not...certainly a PITA when you're without your computer...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal