Opinions On Gizmodo/Apple "Scandal"

Is Apple Getting Negative Attention For This?

• Yes they look are starting to look bad.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • No they are the victims they should pursue Gizmodo.

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I am curious to see what people think about the Gizmodo/Apple "scandal" going on right now. Do you think this will make Apple look bad to the public going after a new site for posting what they posted about the new iPhone? Or do you think it will make people feel for Apple having their stuff put out there without their permission?

To me it seems like it will cast a negative light on Apple for going after a company just for posting pictures and a write up of the new phone. I still love Apple and will continue buying their products but it does make me think they are kind of cold and that they are making themselves look a little harsh.

*I know this might not be "appropriate" for this site so if it is removed I appologize now*

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Apple isn't "going after" gizmodo, the police are merely investigating the facts to see if a crime was committed in the state of CA.

The public probably doesn't care either way. And outside of tech blogs they have probably forgotten about the details and exactly what went down.

The only real issue that remains is that an Apple prototype has been seen by their competitors. Apple releases one iPhone per year which in cell phone years is extremely slow. Pretty much all other companies release several magnitudes more than one in a single year, often dozens. This has given them a clear picture of the new iPhone months before it's release and could put Apple at a disadvantage instead of an advantage by keeping their cards hidden. People complain all the time about the lack of the front camera, but really how many other phones have one when you walk into AT&T/Verizon/Tmobile/Sprint store? As far as I know right now it's zero. Now they all know it's likely the next iPhone is going to have it; "finally" the way some people make it out. And you can be sure maybe even before the new iPhone comes out that there are now going to be phones with that. This could also now effectively kill 3GS sales, someone who isn't "in the know" might have walked into a store tomorrow and bought one. But they could have seen this story picked up by CNN or a major media outlet and now they know a new one is coming soon so they just wait. Apple could have millions of 3GS models just sitting around because now everyone knows a new one is for sure coming and they have seen it.

The public knows what the iPhone is and who Apple is, they probably don't care about some tech blog. They are going to buy a cell phone anyway.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I can see it the way you are talking about. I was just curious because I live in Northern California (near San Fran) and it has been on the news a lot here lately. I do agree that people will still buy their products as I myself would have purchased the new iPhone regardless or if it was shown early or not. I also agree that it does give unfair advantage to competitors but I guess thats the nature of the beast. I am not blaming Apple nor did I intend to imply they are the ones targeting Gizmodo I was just curious if people will see Apple as a bad guy for the way this situation has unraveled.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Buying stolen merchandise is a crime. It seems that according to CA law the phone was stolen. If I got caught buying the phone I would face possible criminal prossecution, why souldn't Gizmodo?

solius

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I think that once the guy tried to return it to apple and they brushed him off that it no longer became stolen property the law only says that an item is stolen if you don't attempt to give it back then it is stolen, its not their fault that the apple guys brushed him off.

mth785

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
The guy said he called Apple customer suport, why would they know anything about a missing prototype? If he was serious about returning it he could have driven to the Apple campus or looked in the CA phonebook for the main phone number to Apple HQ.
Anyone who thinks the thief exercised due diligance is smoking something.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I think that once the guy tried to return it to apple and they brushed him off that it no longer became stolen property the law only says that an item is stolen if you don't attempt to give it back then it is stolen, its not their fault that the apple guys brushed him off.

Please stop. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The guy who "found" it, had the FB page of the guy who lost it. Gizmodo knew the name of the guy who lost it. Neither of them bothered to try calling him at home or at work? Even I smell the fish.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have said from day one that Gizmodo's story was garbage it just didn't seem right. Although I don't think harshly of what happend because I was glad to see the pictures and if anything Apple might have gained some customers who were possibly thinking of getting another phone until they saw the pictures. However the law is the law and even if Apple didn't want to press charges it may not be in Apple's hands. It's just like a vigilante who kills a murderer you may not feel he should be punished but murder is murder and he will have to face trial.

Adding this just because fakesteve is hilarious and it sort of pertains to the thread :D

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs : Obama: All of Gawker must go to prison

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
The guy said he called Apple customer suport, why would they know anything about a missing prototype? If he was serious about returning it he could have driven to the Apple campus or looked in the CA phonebook for the main phone number to Apple HQ.
Anyone who thinks the thief exercised due diligance is smoking something.

I think you must be smoking something, if you think we live in a world full of good smaritans where greed is gone and everyone is 100% honest and tries to do the right thing.
:cool:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
All i know is that if i had a product that billions was riding on..one in which secrecy is key to their marketing/hype..i'd be kinda upset that some idiot blog site knowingly dismantled it, took pics and video and thinks that's ok.

The Giz editor wouldn't have purchased the phone if he didn't strongly suspect it was Apple's. To think otherwise is absurd. Obviously he knew it was misplaced/stolen property and that it would be illegal to purchase it and do a tell all.

The fact he published the video and pics is the kicker because he knew at that point without a doubt that it was Apple's prototype. Giz's headlines said as much.

Say i lost a harddrive with client files on it with very sensitive info. I would expect that the finder would look through it. But what if he published everything on a blog site and described everything he could in detail? It's not really about having stolen or misplaced property, but what you do with it. So what if he tried to return it afterwards?

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I think you must be smoking something, if you think we live in a world full of good smaritans where greed is gone and everyone is 100% honest and tries to do the right thing.
:cool:

Wow. What does that have to do with anything? Are you actually justifying the lack of morals here? Sad.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I see points for both sides. I think that Gizmodo should not have paid for this and if they didnt get it then so be it. However i will say that calling customer service was a moronic attempt at contacting the owner (Apple) as they wouldnt have any idea of a lost prototype. In the end regardless i know i want this phone and I'm very interested to see what comes from it all.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
They had the guys facebook login and could have easily posted something on his wall or sent him a message to tell him they found his phone. Tried to return it my ass. Gizmodo is up a creek without a paddle. Possession of stolen property is a crime, even if you don't know it was stolen, ignorance does not grant innocence.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I believe Gizmodo is guilty of purchasing stolen property and should be held accountable. They knew the name of the person who lost it, they paid $5000 for it knowing it belonged to apple, I cannot see them shelling out $5K for something they "weren't sure of it's origins" ... If you or I committed the same crime we would be held accountable. So should they .. I really feel bad for the guy who lost the phone, I would hope that he lawyers up and goes after gawker media for slander.

macdev

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
But should this geeky gadget task force should get involved in raiding someone's house, working only under suspiciouns, and ignoring the california law about journalist's property unsizeability status? Had it been anyone else's "lost" or "stolen" phone there wouldnt have been a special Apple Deathsquad so quickly dispatched to turn this guy's home around.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
But should this geeky gadget task force should get involved in raiding someone's house, working only under suspiciouns, and ignoring the california law about journalist's property unsizeability status? Had it been anyone else's "lost" or "stolen" phone there wouldnt have been a special Apple Deathsquad so quickly dispatched to turn this guy's home around.

Yep. +1 for that.
I feel bad for Jason Chen now, I really hope nothing too bad happens to him.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711