Opinions On Gizmodo/Apple "Scandal"

Is Apple Getting Negative Attention For This?

• Yes they look are starting to look bad.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • No they are the victims they should pursue Gizmodo.

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
But should this geeky gadget task force should get involved in raiding someone's house, working only under suspiciouns, and ignoring the california law about journalist's property unsizeability status? Had it been anyone else's "lost" or "stolen" phone there wouldnt have been a special Apple Deathsquad so quickly dispatched to turn this guy's home around.
"Apple Deathsquad?" May I assume that this is merely rhetoric and not an official designation?

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
So here is my take on it. First Apple is not the ones that are pursuing this, and even if they were they have a RIGHT to protect their own IP against leaks. Second I don't feel bad for Jason Chen at all, I mean he had to know that there was going to be some kind of blowback from this, it is Apple we are talking about after all. In the end my guess is that Giz will have to pay some kind of fine and that will be the end of the matter, but they really should have know better. They didn't do this for us they did it to have the biggest story of the year in tech and boost their own image.

ifonefwenzy

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I think it got all too serious once that guy got a search warrant for his house granted by the judge in San Mateo. It's all fun and games until your house is mobbed by police, the door is bashed in, and they have taken all your stuff into custody :(

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
But should this geeky gadget task force should get involved in raiding someone's house, working only under suspiciouns, and ignoring the california law about journalist's property unsizeability status? Had it been anyone else's "lost" or "stolen" phone there wouldnt have been a special Apple Deathsquad so quickly dispatched to turn this guy's home around.

Should the police have the right to "raid" someone's house who is suspected of being involved in a theft? Yes. They had evidence that he had the stolen property in his possession. They posted the pictures online! That gave the police all they needed to get a warrant and seize property. Being a journalist does have it's protections, but those are thrown out the window when you are the one that was involved in the crime.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Way too many here who suck on Jobs nipples for every drip of that koolaid.
Apple should let this go. They let a drunk clown take their property out to public and leave it behind, I guess its fair game for everyone that can get their hands on it.

If any of you BY ACCIDENT would find the secret recipe to Coca Cola, you would try to make some quick dough rather than being the perfect citizen and return it to Coke.

Thanks Gizzy for proving that nothing is as airtight as Jobs&Co want us to believe it is at Apple HQ.....

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Behshrad, you are, without a doubt, a huge disappointment. Your warped sense of reality is amazing. This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with crime. It's disturbing how easily you brush aside the law.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Behshrad, you are, without a doubt, a huge disappointment. Your warped sense of reality is amazing. This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with crime. It's disturbing how easily you brush aside the law.

Flash News,,, its not MY warped sense of reality. Its the world we LIVE IN....
Just the fact that the kid who found it, sold it for $5000 further proves my point.
Yes if you chose to stick your head in the sand and believe that everyone in this world is law abiding individuals , then thats your choice of living in a fantasy world.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
Shouldn't apple have told anyone and everyone employed by apple including customer service that there was a missing prototype?

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I think the law should be enforced and that neither an individual or company should be allowed to profit or benefit by breaking the law just because another individual or company, by accident, let their guard down.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Should the police have the right to "raid" someone's house who is suspected of being involved in a theft? Yes. They had evidence that he had the stolen property in his possession. They posted the pictures online! That gave the police all they needed to get a warrant and seize property. Being a journalist does have it's protections, but those are thrown out the window when you are the one that was involved in the crime.

Journalist? Howard Kurtz - Media Notes: Howard Kurtz on Nick Denton, Founder of Gawker - washingtonpost.com

"We don't seek to do good," says Denton, wearing a purplish shirt, jeans and a beard that resembles a three-day growth. "We may inadvertently do good. We may inadvertently commit journalism. That is not the institutional intention."

That's a company whose owner is obsessed with page hits. He rewards writers strictly on that basis.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You guys are hilarious this is not like it's some kid on the playground who found someone's cellphone, this is business and these guys get paid hundreds even thousands more than you and I. So why feel sorry for anyone? I knew the whole story was bogus from the first time I read it because of all the holes in the story. I beleive it will be easy to prove that Gizmodo knew it was stolen just from the story they produced to make it seem like all the bases were covered. I've found phones before and the first thing I do is look through the phonebook for either Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Me, etc. that kind of name so I can call and leave a message where they can pick up the phone. The person who found it already knew his name so it shouldn't have been that hard to look the name up to find a number or when calling Apple ask for him by name why would you call tech support or whatever? The person who found it had the Facebook page open how easy was it to just leave a message with a number where he could be reached on the facebook page. I'm glad Gizmodo got it because now I'm salivating about it but nothing excuses stealing. Also about reality I've walked up to an ABM machine with the card still in it at the point where it asks if you want to do another transaction so all I had to do is hit Yes but I hit No and took it to the receptionist of the bank. There are decent people and there are dishonest people there is nothing crazy about someone putting an effort into getting something back to its righful owner I'm sure lots of people have done it before.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You guys are hilarious this is not like it's some kid on the playground who found someone's cellphone, this is business and these guys get paid hundreds even thousands more than you and I. So why feel sorry for anyone? I knew the whole story was bogus from the first time I read it because of all the holes in the story. I beleive it will be easy to prove that Gizmodo knew it was stolen just from the story they produced to make it seem like all the bases were covered. I've found phones before and the first thing I do is look through the phonebook for either Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister, Me, etc. that kind of name so I can call and leave a message where they can pick up the phone. The person who found it already knew his name so it shouldn't have been that hard to look the name up to find a number or when calling Apple ask for him by name why would you call tech support or whatever? The person who found it had the Facebook page open how easy was it to just leave a message with a number where he could be reached on the facebook page. I'm glad Gizmodo got it because now I'm salivating about it but nothing excuses stealing. Also about reality I've walked up to an ABM machine with the card still in it at the point where it asks if you want to do another transaction so all I had to do is hit Yes but I hit No and took it to the receptionist of the bank. There are decent people and there are dishonest people there is nothing crazy about someone putting an effort into getting something back to its righful owner I'm sure lots of people have done it before.

Why do you always type such ridiculously long posts with no breaks or spaces... It makes reading them seem very harrowing and discouraging... Just letting you know.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Of course he does. All they wanted was a huge story and they got it. And now they are getting even more press because of all this going on. I do agree it was wrong of them to pay for something they knew was "stolen". If anything they could have posted they have it and it is an amazing product and we should all look forward to it and then give it back to Apple. I know Apple isnt the ones pursuing this and my main point of this post was to see if you guys thought this would make Apple look bad in the eyes of the public who dont read blogs or forums and know what is really going on.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

Some people are just naturally b1tchy. If you got something meaningful to say and can put it down on one big paragraph without wasting words, then it's not much of a strain for me to read it.

I, for one, appreciate your perspective. Some people simply don't get the concept of right and wrong anymore.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
I use the term "journalist" very loosely in this case, but according to CA law, they are covered by protections granted to journalists.

Journalists are not allowed to break the law in pursuit of news, and are not allowed to hide behind immunity to avoid prosecution when they have committed criminal acts.

In other words, the argument of journalistic immunity has been incorrectly applied in defense of Gizmodo.

Last edited:

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Yes if you chose to stick your head in the sand and believe that everyone in this world is law abiding individuals , then thats your choice of living in a fantasy world.

Behshad, you are a miracle. You continue to defend the actions of Gizmodo while telling the rest of us that we live in a fantasy world. Wow. Believe me, I'm not so naive to think that crime doesn't occur for two reasons: (1) I used to depend on idiots who break the law to sustain my job, and (2) you continue to prove that there are people who can justify crime as "no big deal," thereby offering support to reason #1.

Since you apparently believe that Apple should just let this go because someone "found" the device and that is, therefore, no big deal, I assume you won't mind if someone "finds" your car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alli

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Behshad, you are a miracle. You continue to defend the actions of Gizmodo while telling the rest of us that we live in a fantasy world. Wow. Believe me, I'm not so naive to think that crime doesn't occur for two reasons: (1) I used to depend on idiots who break the law to sustain my job, and (2) you continue to prove that there are people who can justify crime as "no big deal," thereby offering support to reason #1.

You dont get my point.
Im not defending anybody. Im trying to explain to you that its NOT that surprising that the person that "found" the phone, decided to make a few bux off of it.
AND its not surprising that people at Gizzy paid up the price to be the first with hands on.

Let the laws deal with the crime and give out the deserved punishment. Who are we do decide who's guilty or not, when we dont have all the details.
Speculating things and having opinions is all we are entitled to. At the end of the day, if there was an actual crime commited, Im sure those responsible will pay up.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Since you apparently believe that Apple should just let this go because someone "found" the device and that is, therefore, no big deal, I assume you won't mind if someone "finds" your car?

If my drunk ass forgets the car outside the bar with keys in it, then my dumbass will have to pay the price for stupidity, regardless of the thiefs obvious crime and motives. ;)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Let the laws deal with the crime and give out the deserved punishment. Who are we do decide who's guilty or not, when we dont have all the details.
Speculating things and having opinions is all we are entitled to. At the end of the day, if there was an actual crime commited, Im sure those responsible will pay up.

That's what is happening, or were you under the impression it was private Apple security who got a subpoena and entered the home?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234