Best iPhone GPS App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonezed7

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Which do you think is the best or have had any experience with?

I'm stuck between Navigon?s GPS and the TomTom GPS.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to voice them. I also have a 3Gs.

Thanks.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I haven't used the Navigon software so I have no opinion of it. I do know that Navigon has a legion of followers out there that swear by it.

I do have the Tom Tom software. I bought it over Navigon because the USA (without Canada) version was cheaper. I do not have the car kit, which I find rather pricey, however the software works great (for me) without it.

Tom Tom will allow you to search your contacts for a destination. The POIs are plentiful too. A native Google search was added in the last update. There are a wide array of voices you can choose from although there are only two that give turn by turn in English. The biggest plus for me is that all the Tom Tom USA maps are stored on the phone, meaning......I don't have to wait for a map to download. There is also iPod controls.

These are only a few things that I can think of off the top of my head. If you got any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I've never used Navigon's before, only TomTom, but I'm a bit biased due to the fact that I had a TomTom GPS unit before I had my 3GS..

No complaints, fast for redirects and course changes too!

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
I too am considering both of these GPS apps. This forum has a fair amount of information, you should use the search.

After all the reading I have done I am leaning towards getting Navigon, simply because I really like the MyRegion option, $30 is easier to swallow than $60+. One of my main concerns though is if I start with MyRegion Central and then 'in-app purchase' MyRegion East at a later date does it download and install another application or does the current MyRegion Central application allow the newly purchased maps to become available? If it does in fact create a new application will the user be able to start in the Central region and cross into the East region? I haven't found answers to these questions on the forum, and Navigon customer service hasn't responded to my query yet.

Both the Navigon and TomTom store the entire map on the iphone itself. I think as of the most recent updates both also use Google Live Search for finding more points of interest. Both have ipod controls but everything I have read said the Navigon has better ipod controls. I also think both have lane assist and text to speech. Navigon has some thing called "Realty Vision" or something, where it will show interstate interchanges, and where you need to be during said interchanges. I'm not sure if TomTom has this. That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Just to add to Peanutgallery's info.....Tom Tom does have a Reality Vision-like feature. Tom Tom calls it Lane Assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.