• It's Not So Hot

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Did you not read the story? The guy who found it tried to return it to Apple. Nobody would even take his phone calls.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
lordzod01
First of all, Apple would not sue immediately. Gizmodo had no idea how the iPhone was actually obtained be it stolen or what have you, so they did what they could with it. They were well within their legal right because Apple did not contact them with a C&D or non-disclosure agreement.

Secondly, Apple wiped the iPhone as soon as they learned it fell out of Gray Powell's possession. They obviously had no intention of showing us the real specs and details of this device, and they did NOT want to show us the new OS 4.0 features.

Thirdly, Gray Powell actually commented on the Gizmodo article, angered by their use of his name in the article. I don't believe he would have said anything if he was involved with a structured Apple leak. *However Giz has since stated they mentioned his name because they wanted to help clear it, more public attention leads companies to make more lenient decisions, they aimed to help him*

It could very well have still been a structured and intentional leak, but for these reasons I believe it was not.

Why did Apple not release the C&D order? That implies more interest than a simple "Please give it back" letter. C&D more than likely means it is a very very important product and Apple is willing to let it be known so that people will not talk about it, however the damage had already been done and there was nothing legal Apple could do about it, and a C&D would draw too much attention to it as a legal proceeding implies that this IS infact the new iPhone. My theory is that is IS the new iPhone, but Apple went with a simpler, personal letter, so that it didn't SEEM as important as it really is.
Clearly not intentional on Apple's part.

Gizmodo did what good journalists do. It is sort of like the Pentagon Papers; the government had a responsibility to keep its secrets and the NYTimes had a responsibility to publish them. Apple failed to keep its secrets, Gizmodo published.

I think that the question of "theft by finding" is probably moot. Gizmodo did not have any intention of keeping the phone, of converting it to their own permanent use. Unauthorized use of a chattel, probably a misdemeanor, but far short of grand larceny. To the extent that they might have considered keeping it, they probably purged themselves of petty larceny by returning the phone upon request. (There is usually a monetary threshold in the state where the offense took place that must be crossed to change a theft from petty to grand larceny.)

They may have reduced the value of Apple's intellectual property by publishing it. As publishers, they probably understood that. The cat is out of the bag and there is no way to make Apple whole. Still, Apple may have a civil cause of action. If they can satisfy a judge or jury that Gizmodo acted with malice, or even recklessly, and that they have suffered material harm, they may even collect damages; perhaps enough to put Gizmodo out of business but perhaps not enough to make Apple whole.

As to damages. Apple has clearly lost some freedom of action. However, it is not clear that they will ultimately lose sales or profit. One kind of hype has been replaced by another. Establishing the amount of damages may be difficult.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Honestly none of us know the real truth behind the facts. Can you honestly look at what Gizmodo has on their site and say you beleive it to the letter? No I know I don't. If they hired some guy to follow an Apple employee and steal the phone as soon as he put it down somewhere you think they are going to write that? I'm just saying unless you work at Gizmodo or Apple none of us know the truth. We need to stop trying to prove if it's theft or Gizmodo was wrong that's for Apple to do since it's their property. All I'm saying is the story sounds a little fishy to me and I don't really beleive it. This is personal however and I'm not saying this is the case just my opinion of what facts I've read.

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
Clearly the Apple employee is in violation of the Prime Directive by leaving the hyper-advanced G4 iPhone among the primitives. The apes are going .... well, ape.... dancing around the monolith.

lordzod01

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site
@jellotime91

why keep qouting from the same site. Makes me laugh. The law is the law. Google it.

The only facts here are. Someone has leaked photos, the rest is just heresay on the Internet. All we the GP know is someone found a Iphone, didn't hand it in and put pictures on the net. You can qoute and reqoute, it won't change the facts. I'm not saying I'm right your wrong, I'm only saying you can't take what someone else throws on the Internet as gosple. I.E. Like any of us ever beleived this prototype actualy got left in a bar. Just heresay, nothing more untill an actuall press release.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
It kind of looks like a samsung eternity. I like the new design though. I'm gonna have to get a new dock for my iHome now. O well, worth it!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It kind of looks like a samsung eternity. I like the new design though. I'm gonna have to get a new dock for my iHome now. O well, worth it!

Errrr.. I can see what you mean because it has a silver trim around a black phone, but a lot of phones have done that. It's more like a waaay more attractive and much more nicely built version haha.. :p

I hate how people are saying Apple is borrowing from HTC though, first of all I don't know any HTC phones that look like this, second the design language is much more similar to the new iMac than any cellphone currently on the market.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys. This is clearly a PR stunt. Apple is simply trying to take away any attention that the HTC incredible might get. You actually think Apple lets prototypes leave their campus? Apple has NSA type security to keep stupid things like this happening.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys. This is clearly a PR stunt. Apple is simply trying to take away any attention that the HTC incredible might get. You actually think Apple lets prototypes leave their campus? Apple has NSA type security to keep stupid things like this happening.

Are you off your rocker?

I don't think Steve Jobs even knows the HTC Incredible exists! The Nexus One is the only viable threat because Google is officially backing it... Apple doesn't give two ****s about the HTC Incredible.

And btw, the guy lost the phone on MARCH 18th... That was a while ago.

And, it's not a publicity stunt anyway! Apple does not work like that.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Come on guys. ... You actually think Apple lets prototypes leave their campus? Apple has NSA type security to keep stupid things like this happening.

Well there were tons of spottings of the 1st gen while it was being used by employees testing the hardware. So I'm sure the prototypes leave the campus it's a phone that needs to be tested which you can't do having it in a room for 5 hours.

"And btw, the guy lost the phone on MARCH 18th... That was a while ago. "

Wait you said you beleive the info on Gizmodo because you have no reason not to, so the phone was lost over a month ago and we're only getting pictures and information now? I read through Gizmodo's recap of all the events and I am now even more certain I don't beleive it. The quote from the tech who was beside the guy that got the call about the lost phone, they didn't know about any phone or that Apple was even making a new one. I don't work for Apple and I know they are making a new one come on seriously?? All the info given and Gizmodo seems so close to all these Apple employees and all the details of the events. I don't really care either way, the only thing that matters to me is I love the pictures and videos and I'm glad it's not a hoax.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Are you off your rocker?

I don't think Steve Jobs even knows the HTC Incredible exists! The Nexus One is the only viable threat because Google is officially backing it... Apple doesn't give two ****s about the HTC Incredible.

And btw, the guy lost the phone on MARCH 18th... That was a while ago.

And, it's not a publicity stunt anyway! Apple does not work like that.

History has already proven you wrong. That's all that needs to be said.

/conversation

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
History has already proven you wrong. That's all that needs to be said.

/conversation

What history? You obviously know nothing about Apple's PR strategies.

This is going to severely hurt the 3GS sales for the next few months, and that is NOT what Apple wants. If Apple orchestrated this leak, they would've made sure it didn't expose so damn much and the story wasn't all over every national news station!

BriDroid

Mar 22, 2010
www.nakedipad.com
I don't really see the point in all the supposed cloak-and-dagger "leaking" of a product that Apple clearly doesn't need to leak to sell. If Apple wanted to release any info, they would just release a news item revealing some of the specs and features that could be expected with the iPhone G4. The fact that one of their prototypes got out into the wild is really more an issue of human error and that no organization, no matter how powerful and safe, is infallible.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't really see the point in all the supposed cloak-and-dagger "leaking" of a product that Apple clearly doesn't need to leak to sell. If Apple wanted to release any info, they would just release a news item revealing some of the specs and features that could be expected with the iPhone G4. The fact that one of their prototypes got out into the wild is really more an issue of human error and that no organization, no matter how powerful and safe, is infallible.

Exactly. And Apple has always done field testing of iPhone prototypes. We actually had a 3GS prototype last year if anyone else remembers that, they just didn't take the hardware seriously because it looked virtually the same.