iAds Too Much

Lotus Esprit

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
How will iAds really effect the user experience? We are already inandated with advertsing everywhere else. Do we really need them embeded into apps?

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
The iAd is a replacement for ads already embedded into applications, not in addition to. In other words, if you have any apps now that are free because they are ad supported, those would get the new iAd features (if the developer wants to include iAd).

While anyone could embed iAd features into their applications, it won't happen. It doesn't happen now with the current ad system, so there is no reason it will change with the introduction of iAds.

Don't panic. Your favorite ad-free applications won't become littered with iAds.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
iAd seems a bit too much for me as well, I have never intentionally clicked an ad, only on accident. I would much rather pay for a ad free version.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm totally ok with iAd. Like ifonline said, there isn't going to be ads everywhere brecause of it. iAd is just a replacement for the current system. And it's actually better for users. If you DO accidentally click an ad, it opens in the app, so it's really easy to close it and continue what you were doing. Before, the app would close and safari would launch. Choosing to buy an app or use the ad supported version has always been an option, I don't see how iAd changes this.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
As Jobs was trying to explain, I think it's a better model. I can now click on an ad and not be penalized for it by getting kicked out of my current app. Instead of avoided ads l like the plague, now I might click on one if it interests me.

I think it's a win-win.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Exactly. People seems to be getting a bit paranoid about iAd, and are misunderstanding what it is. It's just a different advertising platform from what is currently being used, not a way to introduce ads into everything on the iPhone.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. People seems to be getting a bit paranoid about iAd, and are misunderstanding what it is. It's just a different advertising platform from what is currently being used, not a way to introduce ads into everything on the iPhone.

Well stated, it really only makes sense for Apple to do something like this. I mean they might as well get some financial gain out of mobile advertising since it has become a major part of the mobile experience.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
The way people are interpreting iAds: ZOMG, I'm going to go into an app, this big ad is gonna load in my face, and it's going to ruinz my iphones experienzz!!

What is actually going to happen: You see those tiny banner ads a lot of apps already have? Those will be replaced with tiny iAd banners, it's only when you click them the big ad will show, and it's a MUCH better solution because it doesn't force you to leave the app, so say you accidentally click an ad... With AdMob, that would bring you into Safari or the app store. With iAd, it will keep you in the same App. It's actually a lot LESS intrusive and much better.

However: Because these ads are much better and much less intrusive, I'm willing to bet that many more developers of free apps are going to start implementing ads. But the way I see it, a lot of free apps already have ads, and if you really don't want the ads then pay the $0.99. I'm willing to bet this will also bring down the price of apps because of the extra (and more convenient) ad revenue developers will now have access to.

Without advertising and with you not willing to pay anything, why should developers even make apps? It's not exactly fair.

Last edited:

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
And coincidently, another great way for apple to make more money eating off of ad-folks money ;)
It was a 60-40 deal right?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
How will iAds really effect the user experience? We are already inandated with advertsing everywhere else. Do we really need them embeded into apps?
I think it will be very much as it is on the www. You will use the app, it will contain ad buttons, as there is now in some apps, you will ignore most of them, as you do now on the www, and you will click on a few. Here is where the difference begins. If youi click on an ad button in the app today, you are taken to the ad in your browser; whatever your intent, you have left the app. Under iAds, when you click on the ad button in the app, you will be taken to the ad within the app and when you leave the ad, you will still be in the app.

Transparent to you, the developer (60%) and Apple (40%) will receive advertising revenue.

One of the things that I miss about reading the NYTimes online is the ads. For generations I got my hands dirty reading the Times, in part to see what Brooks Brothers was featuring today. I knew where the ad would appear. While I do not remember all the ads that I liked but I knew pretty much where I would see them. Those ads were part of the experience. Today, I read the Times online and get the Brooks Brothers ad by e-mail. Good enough but not the same.

I prefer to get information from the Internet on my iPhone via purpose-built apps. Some of those apps I will pay for; an ad in one would be offensive. However, more than half of the apps on my iPhone are "free." Many of those will be supported by ads. Those ad will not offend me.

I use Worldmate to keep track of my travel itineraries, mostly flights. Worldmate is a great service and it is "free." The quid quo pro is that Worldmate wants to sell me a hotel room. On the page with my flights is a button labeled "Need a hotel room?" I hardly notice it and rarely click on it It does not offend me. If I were to click on it, Worldmate would use their own servers and the Internet to find suitable hotels. If I book one, Worldmate will collect a booking commission from the hotel but no ad revenue. Apple gets nothing.

Under iAds, Apple servers might serve the content and Worldmate and Apple might collect ad revenue.

Will this result in more ads in apps? I suspect so. I remember the www before there were ads. Ads have certainly changed the experience. Better or worse? Clearly, as in newspapers, there is an upper bound to the proportion of ads to other content.

Last edited:

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
60:40 is actually the industry standard.

Does Apple create the ad? Or do they just sort of introduce the whole iAd solution? If they do the ad, then I can understand.. What is the industry standard for? Doing the ad? Or merely creating the canvas on which to create the ad?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Does Apple create the ad? Or do they just sort of introduce the whole iAd solution? If they do the ad, then I can understand.. What is the industry standard for? Doing the ad? Or merely creating the canvas on which to create the ad?

They will not create the ads... that's up to the company who wants an ad. It's the industry standard for distributing ads... like admob.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm completely cool with it too. I think it'll be a more appealing way to show ads instead of the google ads on the bottom. If they're interactive, that does nothing but help devs as well.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If iAd is implemented the way it was demonstrated, there will be no change to the user experience if you don't touch them.
If you do select an ad, the experience will actually be better.

Win win.

Readover

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
They will not create the ads... that's up to the company who wants an ad. It's the industry standard for distributing ads... like admob.

Aah okey. Then I guess it's "ok" :)
I don't have anything against it at all actually. I think it's a pretty great idea. Making the ad-"experience" better helps both parts. The consumer and the companys.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal