What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
We want to know what you think of the new software, what you like, dislike, etc...

Sound off!

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Some good stuff in 4.0 but I'm a bit disappointed that notifications are being updated in a way I did not expect. I was under the impression it would look more subtle rather than continuing to pop up in my face each and every time.

Last edited:

Jerry-O

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Underwhelmed with 4.0

Overall I was underwhelmed with the 4.0 release? there was nothing new that a competitor does not already do. Granted no one has everything all in one place like the iPhone 4.0, but I didn?t see any real innovation. It feels like they are just playing catch up with RIM / Android.

Innovative for iPhone ? YES

Innovative in general - NO

Not the A+ upgrade I hoped for.

Last edited:

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
Overall I was underwhelmed with the 4.0 release? there was nothing new that a competitor does not already do. Granted no one has everything all in one place like the iPhone 4.0, but I didn?t see any real innovation. It feels like they are just playing catch up with RIM / Android.

Innovative for iPhone ? YES

Innovative in general - NO

Not the A+ upgrade I hoped for.

Agreed. Plus no updates to the Homescreen and Notifications. My Jailbroken 3GS does most of this now and more. Oh well maybe more surprises await but I'm not holding my breath.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
They've really pissed me off that iphone 3g dosent get multitasking, which is the best feature of the damn thing. STUPID APPLE!

I have multitasking on my 3G because it's jailbroken but the limited memory really hampers the 3G's ability to do it well. Often I'll get low memory notifications.

I'm sure Apple knows the limitations of the 3G and it's because of these limitations the 3G isn't getting multitasking.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
The requested changes to notifications may still happen. We only saw a small portion of the changes to the OS. I would love to see changes to the notifications, but if it doesn't happen in this release, I'm still thrilled with the changes they showed off today. Looks good so far.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I saw little worth losing my jailbreak over... Hope the hardware is more of an upgrade or the competition is starting to look better

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I wasnt all that impressed with the new improvements, but Apple did surprise us with this event that was only found out about a week before. Who knows, Apple may surprise us again with some BIGGER changes. Guess I have nothing to make me wanna stop jailbreaking. Oh well.......

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
Multi Tasking is Great, but my jail broken 3gs does that already....

Unified Inbox will be very helpful, i am glad about that, but i dont think i'll kill my jailbreak for that. Where is the lock screen modifications?? I dont think i could use my iPhone without lock info...

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Huge let down that they didn't fix the notifications, that and no widgets/weather/locksscreen info has it looking way behind that incredible HTC evo, I just don't it. Another year of annoying pop up notifications that cancel out all those before them making them essentially useless? :(

Dimwit

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
They've really pissed me off that iphone 3g dosent get multitasking, which is the best feature of the damn thing. STUPID APPLE!

I'm not thrilled either, but:
1.Apple has a history of doing this type of thing (remember original iPhone owners being left out of MMS?)
2. The 3G is 2 years old and doesn't have enough memory to run background apps efficiently. (although letting the user make that decision would be OK with me)
3. I'd wait to see the specs on the NEW iPhone before upgrading .
Dim

Dimwit

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too sure that widgets/lockscreen mods aren't some of the other features as yet unmentioned.
Probably only work on new iPhone much like the 3G won't do augmented reality or compass function.

ifarlow

Mar 1, 2010
www.ianfarlow.com
Huge let down that they didn't fix the notifications...

So what they showed us today was everything that OS 4 has to offer? Huh... I thought it was a preview. Maybe you have seen into the future and know exactly was OS 4 will bring to the table?

It always amazes me when people hear only what they want to hear and fill in the gaps with pessimism.

Dimwit

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm also very interested to find out if voip works on the iPad...
<added> especially over cellular data...</added>

Last edited:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I was really hoping the multitasking was more in the way of "Backgrounder" on my JB iPhone. It puts me in control of what and when I want something in the background. The way it sounded was if the developer doesn't want to allow backgrounding, they don't code it in.

I also was wanting something like SBSettings. A much easier way of toggling settings.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR