Votes: 38 28.4%
  • iPhone 4.0

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
As we get ready for iPhone 4.0 event later today I was curious as to which version of the iPhone OS you started with?

- iPhone 1.0. Did you get in on the ground floor, after seeing Steve Jobs show off that revolutionary multitouch user interface and groundbreaking mobile Safari web browser back in 2007?

- iPhone 2.0. Did you wait until it became a platform with Apple's release of the iPhone SDK and iTunes App Store in 2008 to get on board?

- iPhone 3.0. Did you make sure they were feature-complete first, and you had basics like MMS and cut, copy, and paste in 2009 before taking the plunge?

- iPhone 4.0? Or are you still not a convert and waiting to see what Apple unveils today (like multitasking) before you finally make the switch?

Let us know in the poll, and feel free to share your thoughts and iPhone OS, past, present, and future in the comments

ZackTanner

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I started out with iPhone 1.0. It was a little limited, I must say, but after breaking my iPhone 3G, I continue to use my first gen iPhone to this day and love the progress that has been made.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I had to sneak a US iPhone 2G across the border and unlock it, since it wasn't available in Canada until 2.0 and iPhone 3G. Loved the UI. Was like a visual revelation after having used a Treo 680's circa 2000 interface for previously.

That demo at Macworld 2007 blew me away and sold me hook, line, and sinker. Still one of the best tech introductions I've ever seen.

zeagus

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm one of those who held off until 3GS, though I was very tempted by the 3G... I decided to wait for feature complete and I am thrilled with the experience and functionality of my 3GS. It was a long slog waiting between late 2008 and mid-2009 for that 3GS to come along with sweet, sweet 3.0 OS goodness. Really hoping we aren't let down by today's 4.0 event. Counting down :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I honestly wasn't very impressed with the 1st gen. So I held off for the 3G. I started using Macs in 2000 and haven't looked back though.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Although I thought the first iPhone was very cool, I wasn't willing to pay that high, unsubsidized price?until the first time I got to touch one. There's no Apple store all that close to me, so I didn't get to see one until a week or two after they came out when I went on vacation to New York City. My first time with an iPhone was at the Apple Store in SoHo, but I didn't buy one until after I got home from my vacation, and I had to do it at an AT&T store.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I started with 2.0. As much as I was wanted something to replace my Treo 680, the iPhone with no apps wasn't for me. But once 2.0 hit and I was eligible for an upgrade I was all over the the 3G. Then 6 months later I had my mom buy the 3GS and I swapped the SIMs.

tail24

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Bought first gen iphone on 7/7/07... I wont forget the date ha ha ha ha. I left a HTC Windows Mobile phone with slide out keyboard and a touch screen top (had to use a stylus... remember styluses?) . It was my 3rd windows mobile phone and loved the ability of using internet explorer and synchronizing contacts and calendars to computer and having music/video upload ability. Then iphone came out and blew that thing away, a real touch screen, a keyboard without a keyboard, memory without an SD card, mail that worked... So nice! Remember unlocking basically just to put NES games on it thought it was so revolutionary. Then 2.0 came out with real apps and I was blown away eventually upgraded to a 3G then my 3G screen cracked so bought a 3Gs.

Have been an TiPB reader for about 2 years now but this is my first post!

fhorn2k#AC

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I waited about one month to get the first iPhone. After using the Treo 650 then 680 and a windows mobile handset along the way, it was amazing how well it worked. My 3G has been going strong since I got in on launch day 2008, so I am really hoping for some good stuff today.

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This first iPhone didn't even do 3g when the phone I had(helio ocean) did and the first iPhone was WAY overpriced. I decided to hold off and got the 3g. So I've been around since 2.0. Hopefully 4.0 and the next iPhone really is a "A+ update" because I'm ready for something new.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Ground floor baby! The gf and I got the first iPhones the Sunday of launch weekend after telling ourselves we would never spend that much on phones. Yeah, that lasted 2 whole days, lol

It's amazing to think about how limited it really was at 1.0 level. Awesome phone and browser but no apps! I don't even remember how I handled that lol

matthirst

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
It's amazing to think about how limited it really was at 1.0 level. Awesome phone and browser but no apps! I don't even remember how I handled that lol

Looking back at original iphones (I never had one - started at 3GS), what happened with the whole empty row of apps (since you couldn't add any more)? Did people not ask why there was one? I never realised the App Store did't even exist until 2.0, I can't see it being too good back then!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Looking back at original iphones (I never had one - started at 3GS), what happened with the whole empty row of apps (since you couldn't add any more)? Did people not ask why there was one? I never realised the App Store did't even exist until 2.0, I can't see it being too good back then!

I'm assuming Apple already had a glimmer of the app store in mind when the first iPhone was released and knew that space would be used for something within the next year. No one ever questioned it too much because it was the first phone of its kind and people were still just amazed with slide to unlock, lmao

I remember that first keynote, he did slide to unlock and everyone went :eek: and he did it again, and everyone roared. It is hilarious to watch it now. People were amazed by the little things.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I was there June 29, 2007 over paying by $200. I still wonder why things like the app store took so long. It was pretty obvious from the start with an entire empty row of apps at the bottom of the single home screen that stuff was going to be happening.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I had a Motorolla Ming, touch screen with a stylus, played MP3s, camera did still and videos and BT stereo. I saw the iPhone and I was dying to get it I searched for the wallpaper and put it on the screen of my Ming. I searched for the "Angels Peeing" mp3 and set it as my rintone it was my faux iPhone LOL I too am in Canada so I had a friend bring one back for me so I've been there since the beginning :D

damule6666

Banned
Apr 26, 2009
Visit site
Right here from the get go!!
I did alllmost give up for a spell due to no pic messaging and no cut and paste.. But my work provided berry kept me balanced.

So now as 4.0 approaches its amazing to look back and see where we've been...WOW..Its all I've got..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl