Is it possible to turn phone off and still use wifi?

lovelydama#IM

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
My bf got a new iPhone and I kept his old one to use it for wifi access or have my little one play games. But is there a way to turn the phone part off and just leave everything else on? I can do this with my Blackberry and my old Treo. Can't figure out how to do it with the iPhone....

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find something. Thanks.

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
My bf got a new iPhone and I kept his old one to use it for wifi access or have my little one play games. But is there a way to turn the phone part off and just leave everything else on? I can do this with my Blackberry and my old Treo. Can't figure out how to do it with the iPhone....

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find something. Thanks.

Did he take the sim from his old iPhone? If not then that one should be dead and you can just use the wi-fi. Or you could try pulling the sim out all together and see if that works.

sharpcroft

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
just get a free payg sim and use that? switch it to 2g instead of 3g and that should save the battery.
O2 are always giving away free sims (i got 3 today)

Entrical

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
If it's jailbroken you can install sbsettings through cydia and then disable edge and 3g.

Or you can just enable airplane mode under settings and it should disable the radio and leave wifi active.

swfreeman

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
From Apple's website:
Using an iPhone without a wireless service plan

* Last Modified:December 14, 2009
* Article:HT3406

Summary

If you upgrade your iPhone to a newer model or cancel your wireless service account/tariff for your iPhone, it is possible to continue using your older iPhone without an active cellular service (using it with Wi-Fi only).

Products Affected

iPhone, iPhone Activation in iTunes

To do this, follow the steps for your iPhone model. Click the model of iPhone you have to see the steps for that model:
Original iPhone

To continue using your original iPhone without active cellular service, leave the inactive SIM card in place. You will be able to use the iPhone as you would an iPod touch (Wi-Fi only, no cellular service) as long as you keep the SIM with which it was last used, even if you update or restore the operating system of the original iPhone.
Activation for an original iPhone requires that its SIM card stays with that iPhone. If the original iPhone displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen, you can use that SIM card to re-activate the iPhone, regardless of whether that SIM has a wireless service account/tariff still associated with it.
To re-activate an original iPhone that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

1. Reinsert the SIM card used when the original iPhone was activated and had a valid wireless service account/tariff.
2. Connect the original iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.
If that SIM was previously valid and used with that original iPhone, iTunes will re-activate the iPhone, but without any cellular service.
Additional Information

* If you no longer have the SIM that was used with the original iPhone, and the original iPhone displays the "Connect To iTunes" screen, contact your carrier to get a replacement SIM.
* If you don't already have a wireless service account/tariff with that carrier, iTunes will help you create one.

iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GSYou can use any SIM card associated with the carrier that your device supports to activate the phone. Simply place a SIM card from the last carrier with which you used your iPhone into the device, and activate it. Then remove the SIM card. You can now use the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS as you would an iPod touch (Wi-Fi only, no cellular service).
Note:You can use the activated SIM card from your new iPhone to do this.
To re-activate an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

1. Insert a SIM card from the carrier with which you used your phone. Note:If you are using the same carrier, you can use the activated SIM card from your new device to do this. If your device is unlocked by your carrier, you can use any SIM card.
2. Connect the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet.
iTunes will then activate the device. You can remove the SIM card at this point and use the iPhone as if it were an iPod touch.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
It does Entrical, but you can then go into settings and turn wifi back on without getting out of airplane mode and you should be good to go. It's how I use wifi on planes that offer it. It's good stuff.

EXACTLY!! I do this each and every night. I turn the phone "OFF" via Airplane mode then I just turn WiFi on. You can still play games, IM, Twitter, Facebook, use the PDA part, and search the web via WiFi. You can even make phone calls via WiFi using Skype!

The only thing airplane does is turn it into an iTouch.:rolleyes:

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
It does Entrical, but you can then go into settings and turn wifi back on without getting out of airplane mode and you should be good to go. It's how I use wifi on planes that offer it. It's good stuff.

Hmm never knew that. Great tip and thanks for sharing.

skirsk

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Hmm never knew that. Great tip and thanks for sharing.
Not a problem bud. I didn't realize it either until a flight in November offered WiFi and started thinking about it and had to ask a friend, "how in the heck did you use your IM client to talk to me on your last flight flight?". :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2