Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    amigaflip's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default easy setup remote desktop

    I recently bought a wireless router so I could remote desktop I have the router ready to go. now I need easy way to use remote desktop free software would help, do I need to jailbreak?
  2. #2  
    lungho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

    Default

    You don't need to jailbreak to use RDP (remote desktop protocal) apps. Things you do need to do are as follows:

    1. Setup portforwarding on your router. 3389 is the default port for RDP.
    2. Make sure remote desktop feature is turned on in the computer you want to remote into. Right-click My Computer and select the Remote tab to confirm that it is on.
    3. Make sure your computer's login has a password. If your windows account doesn't have a password, RDP will fail to connect.
  3. #3  
    jamesus's Avatar
    TiPb Forum Staff

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

    Default

    If you are trying to remote in from your iPhone, check out LogMeIn.com. They have an app that works with the free account.
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

    If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
  4. #4  
    lungho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesus View Post
    If you are trying to remote in from your iPhone, check out LogMeIn.com. They have an app that works with the free account.
    This is true and I personally use Logmein all the time. It's very useful when bouncing around the city and I need access to my files at the office. Just be aware that the Logmein iPhone app will cost you quite a bit more. The app costs $29.99 vs Free RDP Lite or $5.99 for full version.
  5. #5  
    jamesus's Avatar
    TiPb Forum Staff

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
    This is true and I personally use Logmein all the time. It's very useful when bouncing around the city and I need access to my files at the office. Just be aware that the Logmein iPhone app will cost you quite a bit more. The app costs $29.99 vs Free RDP Lite or $5.99 for full version.

    Have you tried the other programs? Were they easy to configure?
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

    If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
  6. #6  
    lungho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    918 Posts
    Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesus View Post
    Have you tried the other programs? Were they easy to configure?
    I haven't tried the Logmein app simply because of how much it costs however I do understand that they are offering a service, not just software and that the price is more than likely justified.

    There are many RDP clients in the AppStore but the only one I use is by MochaSoft. The app is very easy to setup and use on the iPhone. As far as understanding your router and port forwarding, let's just say that "easy" is a relative term. If you don't have any experience with port forwarding, you'll need to google a little to overcome the rather small learning curve. Some routers are easier to setup than others but they are all basically the same.
  7. #7  
    touchyphone's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    698 Posts

    Default

    Do you have a Mac, I purchased an app called Remote Tap. It can hook you directly back to your Mac. For PC's I use LogMeIn.
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
  8. #8  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amigaflip View Post
    I recently bought a wireless router so I could remote desktop I have the router ready to go. now I need easy way to use remote desktop free software would help, do I need to jailbreak?
    Logmein server is free. Any browser will serve as a client. However, Logmein Ignition, the $20- client for the iPhone, is really cool. It conpensates for the tiny screen and the on-screen keyboard in very clever ways. Of course, it supports multi-touch zoom. It has an option to keep the cursor in the middle of the client screen and move the server screen underneath it. Worth twice the price.

    Not only do I use Logmein Ignition on my iPhone, I use it to network all the computers on my home LAN. I am using right now to write this post.
    Last edited by whmurray; 03-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
  9. #9  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lungho View Post
    You don't need to jailbreak to use RDP (remote desktop protocal) apps. Things you do need to do are as follows:

    1. Setup portforwarding on your router. 3389 is the default port for RDP.
    2. Make sure remote desktop feature is turned on in the computer you want to remote into. Right-click My Computer and select the Remote tab to confirm that it is on.
    3. Make sure your computer's login has a password. If your windows account doesn't have a password, RDP will fail to connect.
    All this is true. However, it may not completely solve the addressability problem. I get my IP from my ISP via DHCP. I do not even know what the length of the lease is but it is not permanent. A service like Logmein, pcAnywhere, or WebExPC, sovles this problem.

    Logmein setup is almost completely transparent.

    Depending upon one's hourly rate, one can easily save the cost of the Ignition client on setup alone.

    That said, I agree with the writer who said that he had not tried it because of the cost. $20- is a lot to pay for a trial. On the other hand, if you are sure that you want to do remote access, this is the easiest, cheapest, and lowest risk solution.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
  10. #10  
    jamesus's Avatar
    TiPb Forum Staff

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,898 Global Posts

    Default

    LogMeIn Ignition now has Universal Binary to support iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch platforms. Price remains the same. I think it just moved to the head of my race due to the fact LMI just works for me...
    http://twitter.com/jamesus

    If I have helped you, don't forget to tip the scales!
  11. #11  
    whmurray's Avatar
    iPhone Guru

    Posts
    1,739 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,466 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesus View Post
    LogMeIn Ignition now has Universal Binary to support iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch platforms. Price remains the same. I think it just moved to the head of my race due to the fact LMI just works for me...
    Agreed. No more laptop. I also use lmi to entwork all the machines on my home LAN.
    Thanks for ending the exclusivity, Steve. it is about time.
  12. #12  
    infoshrii's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: easy setup remote desktop

    Quality remote support software’s can never be free though. You can use gosupportnow.com remote access service; it is easy to use and costs only $19.95 / month.

Posting Permissions