Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new iPhone

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yea i am

67 56.78%
  • Naw, i'm gonna stick with my current iPhone

18 15.25%
  • haven't decided yet

33 27.97%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Exclamation Who's getting the new iPhone (2010 Model)??

Oh, June is almost here and there's not doubt that the new iPhone should come out at the annual time

Even if the rumors haven't been reported yet
    the quote "Next iPhone will have an A+ upgrade" made me twinkle

What do you think?

Me: I hope it doesnt turn out to be a disappointment like the iPhone 3GS, not a lot of "WOW" upgrades that any jailbreak can do
    iMore Beginner

Well, since my $500 is going next weekend (to my iPad), I may have to pass on this upgrade. Depends on the new features. I love my 3GS, so I am not sure what all the A+ upgrades will be... I didn't think I would go to the 3GS, but had a buyer for my 3G, so I actually made $50 by upgrading.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    1,509 Global Posts

From my experience, it's better to wait a little bit before upgrading.

A) Costs are stupidly high when something is just released - a few months in and it drops
    B) Generally the first release is rushed - firmware updates come later that fix a lot of the issues
    C) Accessories form WHEN the phone is released and will increase drastically a few months after it's release
    D) You can actually read reviews, listen out for amounts / types of problems experienced and so on if you wait
    E) I HATE waiting lists. I read things on people having to wait for 4-5 weeks to get an iPhone 3gs when it first came out, and honestly, I don't care to be on the edge of my seat for that long lol.

If you need the next best thing then, well, have at it, but for me I'll wait to see if it actually delivers.
    "Once you got Mac, you Never go back."
    ≈ Macbook Pro 13" Unibody ≈
    ≈ iPhone 3GS 16GB Black ≈
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,632 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

i won't get too excited until it's official and even then i'm gonna need geohots stamp of hackproval (is that even a word?)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

If it wasn't a word before, it sure is now!

I didn't think I'd get the 3GS when it came out, since I'd only just gotten a 3G 2 months earlier (and wasn't even eligible for an upgrade). But depending on what's different with the new one...I'm definitely considering it. And if there are no substantial hardware upgrades, I'll use my AT&T upgrade to get an N1...like everyone else.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

I am regardless of the "leap" it makes. We are adding a third line for my daughter in July for her birthday...we will be using that add-on to get the new iphone, passing my iphone 3gs to my wife and her samsung texter to our daughter...perfect plan!
    iPhone Newbie

Definitely... but assuming it does get a launch in June and appears over here in the UK in August(ish), I'll leave it for two or three months for bugs to be ironed out and (assuming a new form factor) new accessories to be available. I'll then just buy one outright and give my 3GS to the wife as her crappy old Sony Ericsson T630 is, well,... a T630.
    iPhone 4/iMac 2.8Mhz 27"/MacBook Pro 15"/Time Capsule/5th Gen 30Gb iPod
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I will have to wait and see what has changed before I run out and spend the money. I am still using a 8GB 3G model. The main upgrade I would like to see is a BETTER speaker phone!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,636 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Depends on the hardware. A better camera with flash might convince me to switch to the new model. Other than that, they might use the iPad A4 processor, increase the memory, increase to 32 and 64 gigs and that's probably about it. I think the next update is going to focus on software.
    Last edited by ghostface147; 03-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Depends on the hardware. A better camera with flash might convince me to switch to the new model.
    That's a given. The company who is supplying it has already let the cat out of the bag - 5MP with flash.

Other likelies are:

32Gb and 64Gb options
    Faster chip
    Higher res screen

and hopefully..
    Multitasking
    Scrollable rear casing
    Thinner profile
    iPhone 4/iMac 2.8Mhz 27"/MacBook Pro 15"/Time Capsule/5th Gen 30Gb iPod

I'm on a family plan with my friend and I did the math so yes we are getting new ones. The difference in getting an 2 iPhones with 1 extra year of Apple Care compared to just buying a new ones / selling old ones the next year is only like $65 more per phone. Yes this all changes if the value of a 1-year old 32GB 3GS out of contract goes down, but I think getting at least $200 a phone is reasonable. I'm also assuming that you would only get $100 a phone for a 2-year old version.

2 New phones every year:
    New Phone 1: $299 (first phone eligible after 12 months)
    New Phone 2: $499 (second phone only that "halfway" eligible for upgrade)
    $798 - $400 (sell 2 1-year old) = $398 / year

2 New phones every 2 years, with extended Apple Care:
    New Phone 1: $299
    New Phone 2: $299
    $598 + $138 (apple care) - $200 (sell 2 2-year old) = $536 / 2 = $268 / year
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts

I'll def be getting. It's become a tradition now. LOL
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

I own a 3G....skipped the 3Gs. Like others have said, it depends on the hardware and, also, if there are enough features that make me want to upgrade. But even if I do upgrade, it won't before a jailbreak is released for it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I hope to get it but if it doesn't impress then I'll be switching to Android. The new HTC Evo looks quite sexy.
    Pierced and tattooed Apple fanboy.

16GB iPhone 3Gs, white.

@MarkHeath
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Is there any hard evidence of a 2010 version? I was about to buy a 3Gs, but if there is a Newer better one coming in June, I'll wait then.

Any links or articles??
    DragonsGoalie
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dragonsgoalie View Post
    Is there any hard evidence of a 2010 version? I was about to buy a 3Gs, but if there is a Newer better one coming in June, I'll wait then.

Any links or articles??
    Steve saids the next iPhone will be an "A+ Upgrade", you basically look up "iPhone 4" in here [TiPb] and you wil find 3 pages of articles about the next iphone

and its obvious that they always do this every June-July
    iPhone - June 2007
    iPhone 3G - July 2008
    iPhone 3GS - July 2009

and this years model so....
    iPhone Nanite

Its hard to say whos getting it without knowing the specs of the phone or what new OS will be on it. Almost impossible to say so early. It may be unimpressive incremental upgrades or a whole new phone which will sway decisions once we know more
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Without knowing the spec's and without knowing the changes to the OS that they are making it's hard to say if I'll get a new one. If it's as impressive as say the HTC Evo 4G then heck yeah. I purchased the GS model when it first came out, had no problems getting it on release day. However some people at work just got the Nexus One and I have to say that is an impressive phone and the Android OS is so much more customizable and works so well out of the box with Google services. While they do not have as many apps as the iPhone yet, they do have a free SDK and the barrier of entry into developing Android apps is a lot lower. Probably the only drawback of the Nexus One is that the touchscreen isn't as responsive, but it's pretty damn close. I also wouldn't mind a Samsung Galaxy S, as that looks really nice. Although no carrier information has been released that I have seen.
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I'll definitely be getting it. I don't need to know what the upgrade really entails... I'm getting it!
    iPhone Beginner

I have not decided yet. It all depends on whether I will be able to jailbreak.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Normally, I would say that I am definitely getting the next iphone. Heck, I have convinced so many people to get iphones, but right now, I am wondering if I want an iphone.

I am on the 3G, so right now, I feel a huge need for speed. I would get the 3gs now, but with iphone 4.0 around the corner (I hope), I'm not sure what to do. I can say my birthday is in May. If i haven't heard anything from apple about iphone 4.0, i may get the N1 or HTC Desire. I really want a new phone and need to be wowed.

I am growing a little tired of the iphone. I want features, i want to multi task, i want notifications. I want to customize without jailbreaking (slows down phone). I don't know, what apple has up its sleeve, but it better be something good, or I'm gone.

At least for a little while. lol.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts

Can you say GUI change? I seriously doubt it will happen but I'd like to see it.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

3GS its more like an overclocked 3G...i prefer waiting for the next gen of iphone
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

My name is Jeremy, I am a addict - so yes I will have the new iPhone on day one.
    iPhone Intermediate

ME . I will be in line 4am
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast